Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Must Turn Off Firewall To Stream Video From Windows Share?

Options
ltek
edited June 2011 in Firewall

I cannot get streaming to work properly when I use BD's Firewall. I use XBMC Media Center every day so I need to get this to work.

Here's my setup...

"Server" : Win7 x64 SP1, BD 2011, windows shares for media files (video, music, photos)

"Client" : Win7 x64 SP1, MSFT Firewall & Security Essentials, XBMC to play media streamed from server

-- BD 2011 settings are default : Intrusion Detection off (I did not turn on), etc

Fully Gig Ethernet wired network, 1 switch in entire system

Symptoms...

BD Firewall is on = streaming video starts - stops - starts - stops ... rinse and repeat. This never ends.

BD Firewall is off = streaming is perfect

AVAST or MSFT Firewall on (BD not installed) = streaming is perfect

Things I have tried...

Enable Game Mode = problem remains

Added IP address of client to Firewall Network Zones, Trust Level "Allow" = problem remains

Is there a fix for this while still maintaining firewall security?

Comments

• ltek
    Options

Is there anyone here to provide official support?

I really like the product but if I'm required to turn off the firewall every time I want to stream a video inside my network I will not consider this a product worth paying for.

Please let me know how to resolve this if it is just a setting/config problem, or if this is a known issue and ETA on a fix.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

Welcome on our Forums!

Please make the following changes and let me know if the issue is resolved:

- open BitDefender and switch it to expert view from the Options button;

- go to Antivirus -> Custom Level;

- uncheck "Scan HTTP traffic";

- check to see if the issue still occurs;

Test 2:

Disable IPv6 and see if the issue persist. You can find the steps below:

1. Start Windows in Safe Mode as explained below;

2. Open Windows registry editor by pressing Windows + R keys, type "REGEDIT", then press "Enter" or go to START menu button >> Run and type the same "regedit" follow by OK;

3. Navigate now to this registry key using the tree menu:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SYSTEM >> CurrentControlSet >> Services >> Tcpip6 >> Parameters

4. On the right side of the window, make a right click, then select New >> DWORD (32-bit) Value.

5. Rename this latter as DisabledComponents, double-click on it, then give it "ff" as Hexadecimal value (without quotes).

6. Restart now your system so that new changes take effect. If you want to enable again TCP/IPv6, then delete DisabledComponents key or set its value to 0.

[how to start Windows in Safe Mode]

If Windows is the only operating system installed on your computer, start into Windows Safe Mode with these instructions:

* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power

* Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.

* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.

* Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.

* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

* When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Last but not least please go to Firewall within BitDefender and tell me the settings you have under Firewall -> Network. Post a screenshot in this topic.

Thank you ! Looking forward to your answer!

Kind regards,

• ltek
    Options

Hi Daniel,

I have attached the screenshot you asked for.

'Scan web (HTTP) traffic' was not checked - so that is not the issue.

As you can see, I added the IP address of my HTPC to Trust Level 'Allow'

I also tried completely disabling Stealth Mode

... None of this helps, the Firewall still hangs video streams.

... even low definition streams 1000 Kbps (on a gig network) - I could stream that bitrate this over bluetooth!

It is obvious when I turn off the Firewall, start the streaming - it is playing perfectly, start the firewall - and it hangs a few seconds later when the buffer runs out.

I'm not disabling IPV6 or do any reg changes - It is not necessary. I expect BD to work as well or better than Microsoft's free firewall and free AV while not harming the network traffic flow... BD is not properly handling network traffic.

Either no one else using BD streams video or they all just turn off the Firewall (which is not acceptable for a commercial security product)

post-64838-1308962978_thumb.jpg

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

Please set the two VMware network adapters as VPN and check if the issue persist.

• ltek
    Options

Why would that affect the LAN connection? Seems like you are reaching here, unless you have specific knowledge on how vmware virtual nics affect a real LAN connection (even with VMware is not running) and your firewall (since it does not happen with other firewall apps)?

None of this should matter... it should work. Are you telling me no one else has (ever had) this problem?

• ltek
    Options

I tried your suggestions... did not help.

I leading the 2012 beta and it has the same exact problem.

I guess no one who streams video uses your firewall.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

Please generate a support tool log having the verbosity increased for the firewall log, as explained below.

1. Open BitDefender and switch it to Expert View;

2. Go to Firewall module;

3. Go to Activity tab;

4. Check the box next to "Increase log verbosity";

5. Try to reproduce the issue 2-3 times;

6. Go to the location below:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Firewall

Send me the file "bdfirewall.txt" by uploading it HERE or HERE.

We will analyze the information you sent and then reply with a possible solution in the shortest time.

[how to create SupportTool log file]

Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

Looking forward to your answer!

Kind regards,

• ltek
    Options

sending PM with log file link

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi :)

As the new Bitdefender 2013 product suite was released, we would like to inform you that you benefit from a FREE upgrade to the latest version.

Apart from the fact that the 2013 suite brings lots of new features and improvements, it will most likely solve any issues that you may have encountered with your previous Bitdefender product.

Please check out this announcement:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=241&id=42

Thank you.