[escalated]Total Security 2012: A Few Problems

JollyRoger
edited September 2011 in General

Considering my unanswered request regarding Bit Defender Total Security 2011,

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=28211

some days ago I decided to upgrade to 2012 version.

A few thoughts:

A ) The first time I run the installer without uninstalling v2011, expecting, as written, that my licence key would have been remembered. It happened that only my mail was remembered. Small bug and so acceptable. It took only 20 seconds to search the email with the code...

B ) I use "Soluto" to manage boot apps and optimize my boot time. With Total Security 2011 I had a boot time of about 1:40 - 1:50 minutes. After uninstalling Total security 2011, with no AV I had a boot time of 1:15, comprehensible thinking that all AVs suites, couple of seconds more or less, behave in the same way. But after installing Total Security 2012 the boot time increased to... tada ... over 3 minutes.

I thought "all right... probably it's because this is the first boot" but nothing changed. I also used the uninstall tool and made a new clean install process: as a result I obtained a little improvement making the boot time decrease to 2:30 but it is not acceptable at all that system processes that without AV were loaded in 2 seconds and with Total security 2011 were loaded in 4 or 5 seconds, with Total Security 2012 are now loaded in 16 seconds.

The slow start up affects principally system processes, as shown in the image below (don't consider the svchost of 65 seconds, it happens only when there have been windows updates, like this time. Usually is 40 seconds less).

bootn.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

C ) The problem that I've reported for Total Security 2011 in the topic linked above still persists.

D ) Internet download speeds remain normal but, surfing the web, occasionally and randomly browsers freeze for 3 or 4 seconds: seen a couple of times for chrome and opera. Never seen with TS 2011.

Anyhow it seems slower loading all the pages.

E ) The system is slower than before.

F ) As already reported by someone else, there are char visualization problems.

Therefore: are you sure that this is a stable version? It seems like a beta (being generous)...

When will be released a stable one?

Hoping for an answer...

ps: Seven Home Premium 32 bit on SAMSUNG - R580 JS01IT

Comments

• Hello,

Yes, it is a stable version. You have 2012 installed now or you reverted to 2011? Regarding the boot issue please note that indeed we had an issue reported about the boot time however was resolved in a previous product update for the BitDefender 2012 version.

Please tell me what version are you using to know how to start investigating the issue you reported with the software in question.

Kind regards,

• I have 2012 version. Thanks

• Hello,

In order to further investigate this issue, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the Bitdefender > Settings

2. Go to the "Update" module

3. Select "Prompt before downloading"

4. Now restart the computer in Safe Mode.

[How to restart in Safe Mode]

- Restart the computer (Windows Start button - Turn Off - Restart);

- Press the 'F8' key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load;

you need to press 'F8' until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select 'SAFE MODE' in the text menu and press 'Enter'.

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click 'OK' to acknowledge.

6. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2012 folder.

7. Locate the file "httpvs10u.dll" and rename it to "httpvs10u.dl_" (if you have "httpvs9u.dll" rename it to "httpvs9u.dl_");

8. Restart the computer in Normal mode;

9. Once the product will want to Update, please make sure to select only the Virus Signature option and not the Product Update one, as that will replace the file you renamed in Safemode.

10. Tell me if the issue is solve now.

NOTE:

If you are not seeing the file extention please go to Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab -> unchek the option "Hide extensions for known file types".

We are very sorry for any inconvenience that we may have created and we rest at your disposal for further information.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

• Hello,

In order to further investigate this issue, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the Bitdefender > Settings

2. Go to the "Update" module

3. Select "Prompt before downloading"

4. Now restart the computer in Safe Mode.

[How to restart in Safe Mode]

- Restart the computer (Windows Start button - Turn Off - Restart);

- Press the 'F8' key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load;

you need to press 'F8' until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select 'SAFE MODE' in the text menu and press 'Enter'.

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click 'OK' to acknowledge.

6. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2012 folder.

7. Locate the file "httpvs10u.dll" and rename it to "httpvs10u.dl_" (if you have "httpvs9u.dll" rename it to "httpvs9u.dl_");

8. Restart the computer in Normal mode;

9. Once the product will want to Update, please make sure to select only the Virus Signature option and not the Product Update one, as that will replace the file you renamed in Safemode.

10. Tell me if the issue is solve now.

NOTE:

If you are not seeing the file extention please go to Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab -> unchek the option "Hide extensions for known file types".

We are very sorry for any inconvenience that we may have created and we rest at your disposal for further information.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

A small recap of what I've done:

boot15finalgraph2.jpg

- In point 1 of the pic I uninstalled (using removal tool) the italian version since, as stated in the topic concerning char visualization problems, only eng version is up to date

- Done 4 boot_s without AV: 1:35 min, 1:25 min, 1:00 min and 1:05 min. As usual

- Installed the eng version and updated with manual silent update: point 2 of pic

- Done 4 boot_s: 1:50, 2:40, 3:25 and 2:30

- Seen that all was like when I had the italian one and so I decided to follow your procedure updating only signatures

- Done 5 new boot_s all around 2:30

- Received some new updates: done only for signatures: point 3

- Somehow boot time began decreasing, increasing and re-decreasing (a new half dozen boot_s done)

It seems to be on roller coasters :D

I hope it's stabilizing, but with Total Security 2011 times were less ranged and all about 1:35 1:45

• Hello _Diego_,

There is one thing that you are not taking into consideration. :)

BitDefender products have a smart scan feature (this was present in previous versions also, not just in 2012). This feature is enabled by checking the option to Scan only new and changed files from the custom on-access scanning options (if I'm not mistaking, you mentioned stumbling upon this option on another topic).

So basically, after BitDefender scans a few times some files and finds then clean, as long as the files don't change, they will be ignored from future scans (of course, this is how it's done in a nutshell, but the actual process is made following a few more complex rules in background).

Also, as I'm sure you can imagine, while the system is starting up, BitDefender is scanning accessed files. If you have enabled the above option (if I'm not mistaking, it's enabled by default), in theory, the boot time should decrease in time. Of course, the slowest login time will be after BitDefender is installed. In time, after a few days, that time should decrease. Until some Windows updates occur, changing some files, and so on... which will cause BitDefender to start scanning them again, but, in time, those files will again start to be skipped. And so on and so forth. :)

So, given the above, it would be expected that your boot time will drop in the following days/week.

Cris.

• It could be and I hope so, but I don't have windows automatic updates enabled anymore and today I'm on roller coasters again.

I discovered something new:

ev1f.jpg

Il file del Registro di sistema è ancora in uso da altri servizi o applicazioni. Il file verrà scaricato ora. Dopo lo scaricamento i servizi o le applicazioni che stanno utilizzando il file del Registro di sistema potrebbero non funzionare correttamente.  

DETTAGLI -
    16 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-3839526648-640461978-1128981970-1000:
    Process 2304 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Safebox\safeboxservice.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-3839526648-640461978-1128981970-1000
    Process 2304 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Safebox\safeboxservice.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-3839526648-640461978-1128981970-1000
    Process 2304 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Safebox\safeboxservice.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-3839526648-640461978-1128981970-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Disallowed
    Process 2304 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Safebox\safeboxservice.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-3839526648-640461978-1128981970-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\TrustedPeople
    Process 2304 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Safebox\safeboxservice.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-3839526648-640461978-1128981970-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root
    Process 2304 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Safebox\safeboxservice.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-3839526648-640461978-1128981970-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My
    Process 2304 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Safebox\safeboxservice.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-3839526648-640461978-1128981970-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\CA
    Process 2304 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Safebox\safeboxservice.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-3839526648-640461978-1128981970-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\SmartCardRoot
    Process 2304 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Safebox\safeboxservice.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-3839526648-640461978-1128981970-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\trust
    Process 2304 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Safebox\safeboxservice.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-3839526648-640461978-1128981970-1000\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates
    Process 2304 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Safebox\safeboxservice.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-3839526648-640461978-1128981970-1000\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates

ev2a.jpg

ev3o.jpg

devy.jpg

Two last things:

- before installing BD Total Security, yesterday, as already mentioned I run the proper uninstall tool (the one for updated to 2012 products, it has a dark grey GUI)

- after installing BD I've run no registry cleaners

ps: I don't know if it can help (I think it's an useless info), but I have a dual boot system: Windows Seven and Ubuntu with GRUB as bootloader.

Thanks in advance

Diego

• The first is something you have nothing to worry about. The event is due to the automatic update mechanism which is accessing that registry key associated with safeboxservice.exe - the BitDefender SafeBox process.

The second, please follow the steps below and send me the generated log file. I would like to take a closer look on that driver.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=119338

Looking forward to your answer!

• OK, done. You've got PM.

Thanks Daniel

• Unknown
    edited September 2011

Hi,

The driver is correctly installed. Please test the Antivirus module by visiting the link below, then by selecting any of the test files to download (eicar.com; eicam.com.txt etc):

http://eicar.org/85-0-Download.html

The Antivirus should pop-up saying that it blocked the file. If that's the case then please repair BitDefender as explained below and check to see if the entry persists.

- click on the START menu button;

- go to All Programs;

- go to BitDefender 2012;

- choose Repair or Remove;

- restart the PC when requested;

- check the Device Manager and see if you still have more than a single AVC entry.

- if you still have 3 entries right click on those WITH an yellow exclamation mark on them and select 'Uninstall';

- restart the PC again and check if the issue is resolved.

Regards,

• JollyRoger
    edited September 2011

Hi,

The driver is correctly installed. Please test the Antivirus module by visiting the link below, then by selecting any of the test files to download (eicar.com; eicam.com.txt etc):

http://eicar.org/85-0-Download.html

The Antivirus should pop-up saying that it blocked the file. If that's the case then please repair BitDefender as explained below and check to see if the entry persists.

- click on the START menu button;

- go to All Programs;

- go to BitDefender 2012;

- choose Repair or Remove;

- restart the PC when requested;

- check the Device Manager and see if you still have more than a single AVC entry.

- if you still have 3 entries right click on those WITH an yellow exclamation mark on them and select 'Uninstall';

- restart the PC again and check if the issue is resolved.

Regards,

AV module was fine also with the 2 drivers with exclamation mark.

I removed the 2 additional not working drivers, that probably were created on each install since, as already mentioned, I previously had the italian version (that I installed twice). This means that during the uninstall process these drivers weren't removed, even if I used the uninstall tool.

After the last update, the boot time issue seems to be fixed and almost all seems to work fine.

Look at this: it happens every time browsing www.megaskipper.com with chrome and having installed the extension megaskipper.

skipperz.jpg

• Has the issues with bitdefender 2012 been fixed and if so has the full download links for 2012 been updated?

thanks

• Hello,

Diego: are you referring to the black square? Are you using any theme for Chrome ?

Coolyandy2: please explain what issue are you referring to in a NEW topic; do NOT post in other's topics.

I would strongly recommend you to read the Forum Rules.

Thank you!

Regards,

• JollyRoger
    edited September 2011

Yes Daniel,

I'm referring to the two black squares, the gear wheel and the giant black rectangle that should be visualized only on the right corner inside of the expanded Bit Defender browser extension. I've reproduced the same issue on the same domain www.megaskipper.com with Firefox 6.02 and Opera 11.51 too, so it's not due to chrome. In any case I've the default chrome theme

• Hi Diego,

Please tell me the version of the following file: bdtl.dll located in the BitDefender installation folder. I was able to reproduce the issue on that particular website and I have escalated it for resolution. The ticket ID created on your behalf to report this issue is: 201110011001116.

If you have other website where the same issue can be reproduced please let me know.

Regards,

• Ticket 201110011001116 has been closed since the issue has been resolved.

About the problems with my trading platform, mentioned in point C, I've opened a ticket:

Thanks in advance

Diego

• Hello Diego

Thank you for your feedback.

I've searched that ticket id and used Google Translate to search some elements.

Could you please translate for me the content?

Regarding that ticket with Adobe folder, we are testing some things and get back to you these days.

Thank you very much.

• Hello Diego

Thank you for your feedback.

I've searched that ticket id and used Google Translate to search some elements.

Could you please translate for me the content?

Regarding that ticket with Adobe folder, we are testing some things and get back to you these days.

Thank you very much.

Hello Cristian, if you could forward the message to me with a PM or an email I'll surely translate it to english (I've deleted the original and from my BitDefender account I can't read what I've written).

Thanks

• Welcome back _Diego_.

Please check out you PM inbox and reply via PM when you are ready.

Thank you for your patience and for the cooperation with BitDefender team. Have a nice day.