Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[resolved]do I Get Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 If I Buy A Retail Copy Of Bitdefender Internet

Options

Hey, so I'm looking into picking up a new Antivirus, and I have heard good things about BitDefender.

I looked online and I could pick up the 2011 version for much cheaper than the 2012 version. If I purchase the 2011 version, is it the same thing as purchasing a 2012 version (I read that you can upgrade to 2012 for free)? Would my license be shortened (does the 1 year start from 2011 or from when I activate it)?

Comments

• Hello and welcome!

Yes, you can purchase the 2011 version and use the license key to receive to register the 2012 version of BitDefender.

If you have any further queries feel free to contact us anytime!

• Kobac
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

Yes, you can purchase the 2011 version and use the license key to receive to register the 2012 version of BitDefender.

If you have any further queries feel free to contact us anytime!

I also currently own a retail version of BitDefender Internet Security 2011. Exactly how can I upgrade my version to the 2012 version for the current registration period (I have 253 days left)?

• I also currently own a retail version of BitDefender Internet Security 2011. Exactly how can I upgrade my version to the 2012 version for the current registration period (I have 253 days left)?

I have always had success doing the FREE upgrade following these simple steps:

1. Uninstall the current version of BD using the Uninstall Tool. Reboot the PC when prompted after completion.

2. Download and run the full-file installer following the on-screen instructions. Open the BD Security Center and on the main screen click the Update now button to get the latest program & virus definition updates.

The number of remaining days on your license will be retained.

Links to the BD Uninstall Tool & all 2012 BD products (English) can be found in this pinned topic in the BD 2012-->Installation sub-forum.

Regards,

• Kobac
    Options
    I have always had success doing the FREE upgrade following these simple steps:

1. Uninstall the current version of BD using the Uninstall Tool. Reboot the PC when prompted after completion.

2. Download and run the full-file installer following the on-screen instructions. Open the BD Security Center and on the main screen click the Update now button to get the latest program & virus definition updates.

The number of remaining days on your license will be retained.

Links to the BD Uninstall Tool & all 2012 BD products (English) can be found in this pinned topic in the BD 2012-->Installation sub-forum.

Regards,

Thanks for your quick response!

I did see that there are two ways to upgrade listed on this site (install over the old version AND the method you suggested), but I didn't know where the links to the downloads were - thanks for listing those! When I had first tried downloading from the product links off the main page, it looked like it might initiate a purchase, which I did not want to do.

I saw where it mentioned that, if you go the route of uninstalling the old version first and then installing the new version, that the old program settings would not be saved. May I assume that you recommend that way of doing it since it has a lesser chance of running into installation problems?

• I saw where it mentioned that, if you go the route of uninstalling the old version first and then installing the new version, that the old program settings would not be saved. May I assume that you recommend that way of doing it since it has a lesser chance of running into installation problems?

The 2012 version is significantly different compared to the 2011 & previous versions. Most of the 2011 settings won't cross-populate anyway.

Yes. I have had better success first uninstalling the old version before installing the new one. I do take the time to write down my previous settings, exclusions, etc. so I can re-populate them in the new version, as many that may apply, anyway.

Regards,

• Kobac
    Options
    The 2012 version is significantly different compared to the 2011 & previous versions. Most of the 2011 settings won't cross-populate anyway.

Yes. I have had better success first uninstalling the old version before installing the new one. I do take the time to write down my previous settings, exclusions, etc. so I can re-populate them in the new version, as many that may apply, anyway.

Regards,

Thanks so much for your reply! I will do as you suggested.

Sounds like a job for NEXT weekend . . . :rolleyes:

• Hello,

Can we consider the case resolved so I can close the topic? If you need any further assistance please let me know.

Kind regards,

• Kobac
    Options
    Hello,

Can we consider the case resolved so I can close the topic? If you need any further assistance please let me know.

Kind regards,

I uninstalled the old version and installed the new one, but when I log onto MyBitDefender, it still says that my active product is Internet Security 2011, not 2012.

That is the reason I did not log on and report "success" right after installing. I figured that perhaps the system would take some time to update my online information, but that has not happened. Maybe it just keeps the name of the original product that I purchased?

Is there a way to fix this or is it something that I can just ignore?

Thanks for your help!

• Hello,

It's just something to ignore :) The reason why you don't see 2012 but 2011 in the 'MyAccount' page is because you registered 2011 when you first used the license key so the entry will appear as 2011 even if you have installed 2012.

The 'MyAccount' page will NOT show you what product you have installed but what product you purchased and in which version you used the license key first.

If you have any other queries feel free to ask.

Regards,

• Kobac
    Kobac ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Hello,

It's just something to ignore :) The reason why you don't see 2012 but 2011 in the 'MyAccount' page is because you registered 2011 when you first used the license key so the entry will appear as 2011 even if you have installed 2012.

The 'MyAccount' page will NOT show you what product you have installed but what product you purchased and in which version you used the license key first.

If you have any other queries feel free to ask.

Regards,

OK, all done - case closed!

Thank you for all your help, Gary and Daniel.

• Glad you got everything straightened out, Kobac. :)

I will close this topic as resolved, but please feel free to start a new topic for any other issues.

Regards,

This discussion has been closed.