[solved] Upgradded To 2012 And It Does Not Work On My Windows 7?

Hi,

I am using 2012 on 3 computers. Legally I might add. On Vista it appears to be working fine. On this one, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit it is not working correctly. The following happens:

1) when I boot the computer all shortcuts on the desktop work fine but Bitdefender is off. This is everytime I boot the computer.

2) When I click on Bitdefender on the taskbar nothing happens so I go into ALL PROGRAMS- Bitdefender and it opens but I get the message that 'vsserve.exe' is unavailable so I turn on Bitdefender through- Control panel- Administrative tools- services and right click on bitdefender virus shield---- start, right click on bitdefender update server v2---- start...... right click on bitdefender desktop update service---- start. Bitdefender then works.

3) when bitdefender is on, all the shortcuts that were working on the desktop now do not but when I reboot, Bitdefender is off and the shortcups work.

I have used Bitdefender from its free days and never had problems. But this program has caused me so much trouble. Even if I get it solved I think I'll use a different anti-visus program. All my confidence has now gone. I'll ask for a refund too. I've had it 2 days.

To say I'm angry does not state the truth. I am livid. I need to use the Internet on this computer every day but how can I do that when all my teaching material is on it?

I hope I get this solved very quickly. If there are conflict problems, and I think there are, please tell me so I can unistall it and but something that works. Please remember.. I am not good with computers as I as a pensioner. And there is no Clipboard on my OS.

Britpol

Comments

• nikki605
    edited September 2011

Welcome to the forum. :)

I am running BDAV 2011 on a Win7 Pro SP1 x64 laptop with no problems like you describe.

Which BD product do you have? It would help if you provided the following information (I know some of it you have already posted):

1. Which Windows OS is installed - WinXP, Vista or Win7? - Win7

2. What Windows Service Pack (SP) is installed - SP1, SP2, SP3, etc.?

3. What is the architecture of the Windows OS - 32-bit or 64-bit? - x64

4. Which BD product do you have - Antivirus, Internet Security or Total Security?

5. Do you have any other security program(s) installed on your PC?

Is Windows Defender turned off?

Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed?

6. Did you uninstall any other security program(s) prior to installing or attempting to install BD?

7. If the answer to question 6 is YES, what method did you use to uninstall each - the program's Windows Start Menu 'Uninstall' function, Windows Add/Remove Program function, the company's standalone downloaded uninstall tool or a third party uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller?

8. What type/speed processor (CPU) is in your PC?

9. How much memory (RAM) is in your PC?

Awaiting your reply,

• britpol
    edited September 2011

Hi,

1) Windows 7 Ultimate

2) SP3

3) 64bit

4) BD Internet Security 2012

5) none--- Windows Defender is OFF.... No Microsoft Essentials

6) BD 2011 Internet Security

7) Revo Uninstaller Pro

8) Pentium D/ 3oogig

9) $ megs

I have to point out here that uninstalled it and now I can't download the 'Trial' to add my Product key to it as it tells me that it has failed because of some keys. So now I have no protection on this computer and I've always used BD but I'm disappointed and won't use it again unless this is quickly solved..

Please do not ask me to take a 'snapshot' of the message because I have no Clipboard on Windows 7 and I can't convert the file to JPEG.

Britpol

• I'm sure you mean SP1 as there is no 'SP3' yet for Win7. How did you uninstall BDIS 2011, or did you install BDIS 2012 'over the top?'

Just curious, why do you say you have no Windows Clipboard? I haven't seen a Windows OS without it. The standard Windows Paint program can save in jpg format.

I don't need a screen shot, but for future reference, Win7 has a Snipping Tool that you can use for taking easy screen shots.

Regards,

• Hi,

I really am getting angry now. I am English but I live in Poland. I bought Internet Security 2011 but it's in Polish. So I downloaded Internet Security 2012 trial, install it and used the serial number and it worked. The problems mentioned before then appeared.

Now I can't even install the trial. I get the message in the snapshot attached.

I uninstalled using the BD uninstaller but I notice there is a file in Control Panel- Administrative tools- Services called BitDefender Update Server v2.

Actually there is no easily accessable 'Clipboard' on Windows 7 Ultimate according to Google, but it is possible to find it if you read how.

So as you can see things have got worse. I really want to find a solution but my hopes are rapidly failing me.

I loved BD but now it's a monster on my shoulders and I really don't need that.

Thanks for any help given,

Les

post-74889-1316766775_thumb.jpg

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited September 2011

Hello Les,

I have used Bitdefender from its free days

What do you mean by this?

I bought Internet Security 2011 but it's in Polish.

So, just to male sure that your situation is perfectly clear:

You have a computer which runs Windows 7 (it's the one with the problems, the one we are talking about here - it doesn't matter how many other computers you have). You installed BD Internet Security 2011 in Polish. Did you have any other security solution installed before then? Did BD 2011 work without any of the above described problems?

Then you removed BD 2011 using the BD Uninstall Tool and installed 2012. Did you reboot the system after you used the uninstall tool and before you installed 2012? (just asking)

Then, the problems in the first post in this topic appeared: applications wouldn't run with BD working, and BD was not working on system startup. Again, you removed BD 2012 using the Uninstall Tool (and again, did you reboot after uninstall and before reinstall?) but now, it wouldn't install because of the posted error.

Is this correct? Please also post the answers to the questions in bold.

Another question: How exactly did you get Windows 7 on this computer? Did it come pre-installed when you bought it, or did you install it afterwards? If Windows 7 was installed afterwards, was it, by any chance, an upgrade from Windows Vista, or was is a clean install (complete system format + Windows installation from scratch)?

I am asking this particular question because, as far as my knowledge goes, that particular error (which you posted in the attached screnshot) has NOTHING to do with BitDefender. The path presented in that error message is a Windows Registry path, and those long numbers (they are numbers in hexadecimal form) and GUIDs (Globally Unique Identifiers). And the problem there is that some of those paths have incorrect permissions, so everytime something tries to read/write them, they could fail, leading to errors or unexpected behavior (like the problems you described in the first post). As far as I found out, this type of problems could appear when a faulty upgrade takes place (from an older OS to a newer OS).

Of course, the cause of such problems might be something else, but the point (and the solution) is unique: there is a permissions problems over which BitDefender installer has no control. Permissions inside an operating system (any type of permissions, such as registry permissions, file permissions, memory access permissions, and so on...) are there to prevent some applications to take some actions, in order to protect system components from being altered. It's a security measure imposed by the OS over the running applications. So any problems with these permissions has to be fixed using tools specifically designed for this and run with proper credentials (such as, in this particular case, using Registry Editor under an Administrator account, with User Account Control bypass, which usually means temporarily disabling the UAC, or forcing privilege elevation for Registry Editor).

So, long story short: this "problem" was discussed before on this topic, because, of course, this type of problems appeared before (even on older OSs). I personally managed to fix such an issue (and also suggested it to others which were successful in fixing the problem) by using this tutorial: http://www.okino.com/conv/changing_windows...permissions.htm (Disclaimer: I, or BitDefender as a company has nothing to do with that tutorial, it's just a tutorial found on Google while trying to fix this problem on a previous occasion. I found the tutorial to be well explained and, in my previous cases, it worked).

Try taking those steps (there is also a simpler method presented there, so please read the whole tutorial before actually attempting anything). If you need assistance, please post here a reply. I'd be happy to guide you through the process.

Actually there is no easily accessable 'Clipboard' on Windows 7 Ultimate according to Google, but it is possible to find it if you read how.

The Windows Clipboard can be extremely easily accessed. It cannot be disabled or removed. Without the Clipboard you, nor the system itself, couldn't copy files, text, images, or anything. The system itself could not be able to function at all, not to mention other applications, because copy operations take place continuously in the system.

How can you access the clipboard? Very simple. Just use Paste. Select something, right click, select Copy, then go somewhere else, right click and select Paste. And that's that. The copied information (either a file, or a text, or something else) is put into the clipboard, then, when pasting, it's taken from the clipboard and put where you pasted it.

Taking a screenshot is a similar process: press Print Screen on the keyboard and a snapshot of the screen image is automatically put in the clipboard. Then open any application that supports image processing (like Paint, MS Word, or anything in the same category) and simply click Paste in that application (option which is usually in the Edit menu, or can be directly accessed by the key combination Ctrl+V), and the image from the clipboard, the screenshot, will appear there.

You don't need any special Clipboard tool. I am aware that in previous versions of Windows (such as Windows XP, or Windows NT) there was a Clipboard tool somewhere in the Start Menu. But that was just a viewer of the clipboard, just a tool that automatically pasted the content of the clipboard so you can see what the clipboard contains. That tool was NOT the Clipboard itself, because the Clipboard itself is handled by the system.

I hope this sheds a little light over the Clipboard problem. :)

Looking forward to hearing back from you (hopefully, good news).

Cris.

• britpol
    edited September 2011

Hello,

Yes I have a computer with Windows 7 Ultimate.

No other security software was installed.

BD worked Ok for 1 day when I noticed it was not working. I tried to start it from Task bar but it wouldn't. I had to do it in Administrative tools- services. Then when I turned off my computer, I had to restart it.

I can asure you that after EVERY try to install BD, I REBOOTED SEVERAL TIMES TO BE SURE. The program told me to do it so I did.

You are correct when you say that after this it would not install because of the posted error.

I note you're trying to point the blame onto Windows. I can tell you it was a CLEAN, FORMATTED install 2 weeks ago and I had no permission issues until I used BD.

I've looked at the suggested website and it's way over my head. I have alrady pointed out that I am a very senior person with no computer skills. That answer is for computer geeks.

If this is the only way to solve this problem, please tell me how to contact your senior manager so I can complain and get my money back. But of course I'll wait for your reply.

I would point out that nowhere in your liturature do you say that a person has to be computer literate to do neccessary corrections.

Les

• I'm not trying to blame it on anything. I have no idea how exactly those permissions got broken. As I said, one of the probable causes was a faulty OS upgrade, but those permissions could have become corrupted by any number of means.

As I said (but not detailed), as far as I remember, I also had this problem a long time ago, and I never made a system upgrade either.

Also, usually, there shouldn't be any corrections made by the user in normal conditions. BitDefender 2012 was designed to be as user friendly as possible, and as easy to use as possible. But you must understand that this error is not because BitDefender itself, so the installer can not do anything about it. Why those permissions got changed, I have no idea, but the system has to enforce those permissions, even if doing so leads to undesired behavior. So to fix the problem ,those permissions must be fixed.

I will talk with some guys from Technical Support to decide how can we solve your problem. Somebody will contact you during this day (meaning 24 hours, I'm not sure where you are and what time is it there). Please accept my apologies in the name of BitDefender for the problems you experienced.

Cris.

• Hello Les,

I have sent you a Personal Message (PM) with some details. Please read it and send me a reply. Thank you.

Cris.

• Hi,

I just want to thank Cris from BitDefender for solving my problem. He was very fast, helpful and very knowledgable.

I will continue to use BD thanks to their GREAT SUPPORT.

Les

• You are welcome, Les. :) I'm glad I could be of help.

Since the issues presented in this topic were solved (both the installation problem and the problems reported in the first post of the topic), I will consider this topic closed.

Have a nice day,

Cris.

== CLOSED ==

== Issue solved ==

This discussion has been closed.