Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Disappointed By Total Security 2012

Options

I'm not sure what 2012 is doing with requests to pass my firewall. In 2010, I could allow or deny each intrusion and have a log of all sites. I micromanage both cookies and firewall to exclude tracking cookies, especially anything from ominture (2o7.net) which, if allowed, burrows into the HDD and is hard to remove. I also don't allow sites such admdt, yieldmanager, secure-worldwide, etc. and, in 2010, was able to focus on each one and deny it.

Also, I'm unable to schedule a variety of regular A/V scans, no where to indicate the time of day to scan, etc.. In 2010 it was very simple. All I can find in the dashboard is bunches of on/off toggles in each category - a/v, firewall, spam.

Are there others who've found 2012 to be a disappointment compared to previous versions?

Comments

• rootkit
    Options

Hello

Bitdefender 2012 is a new product, that was designed from scratch and it's all about silent security.

Some features were removed, some were added.

Check them out here:

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/total...y.html#Features

Thank you.

• I too was a fan of Bitdefender 2010. With 2010 I could also micromanager my registry, cookies, and scripts. I expect that from a good security product. I also liked being able to actually tune all of my games without running Game Mode. It wasn't that difficult and I knew exactly what was going in or out. I can't anymore! I'm returning this product and now I know why Best Buy no longer carries this product. Unfortunately, I bought mine at Fry's so that will be fun...

The 2012 product is more than just disappointing. It's horrible. There are no settings that I can change that will let me access my email account through Firefox. It's strange because a few days ago I hadn't upgraded to 2012 yet and I was able to access my web mail just fine. Now on my wife's computer with 2010... guess what? I can get into my email again. I also can't play Dirt 3 because the sound cuts out and then the whole game freezes... even when in Game Mode. Wow... whatever developers left your company you need to beg to get them to come back.

• Cristi, the link just sent me to the 2012 page where I can purchase it! That's not what I want! I want to know what websites have been blocked and to be able to allow specific apps through. I can't launch PaintShopPro because it has to connect to the corel.com site and something is preventing it, probably a rule (unknown to and not made by me). Where is the log or list? The more I try to install and launch applications and am frustrated by the inability to do so, the angrier I get. When I tried to renew my license for 2010, I was "told" the key was invalid; yet, in an email from BD support, both the 2010 and the 2012 licenses were validated. Since I was "naked" on the web after reinstalling windows, I wanted a/v protection immediately so I had no other recourse than to buy 2012.

• aquila
    edited November 2011
    Options

The log indicates that connection to corel.com is "allowed" but the splash screen never comes up. I've uninstalled, re-installed, repaired it several times. It worked with 2010.

• Well, I uninstalled 2012 and installed 2010, discovering that my 2010 license key was valid. PaintShopPro finally loaded, probably because it wasn't being blocked from connecting to the internet for some unfathomable reason. Other installations that require an internet connection in the process had failed in the past and I had to virtually shut down 2012 to allow the installation to finish. I also got the "updated" version of 2010 the dashboard of which looks more like 2012 and less like 2010. BD seems to have taken away all of the micromanaging controls with subsequent updates to 2010 and newer versions.

Now, I think I'll dump 2012 on my unsuspecting laptop who has been doing well with AVG free and hope that my apps don't stop working ...

A final note: I hate auto-completion and all attempts by software companies to make life easier for us and 2012 smells a lot like that - a total hands-off, don't-worry-you're-in-good-hands approach. BD had a good thing ... too bad they wrecked it.

• Well, I uninstalled 2012 and installed 2010, discovering that my 2010 license key was valid. PaintShopPro finally loaded, probably because it wasn't being blocked from connecting to the internet for some unfathomable reason. Other installations that require an internet connection in the process had failed in the past and I had to virtually shut down 2012 to allow the installation to finish. I also got the "updated" version of 2010 the dashboard of which looks more like 2012 and less like 2010. BD seems to have taken away all of the micromanaging controls with subsequent updates to 2010 and newer versions.

Now, I think I'll dump 2012 on my unsuspecting laptop who has been doing well with AVG free and hope that my apps don't stop working ...

A final note: I hate auto-completion and all attempts by software companies to make life easier for us and 2012 smells a lot like that - a total hands-off, don't-worry-you're-in-good-hands approach. BD had a good thing ... too bad they wrecked it.

So True, I Dumped Bitdefender 2012 and reverted to Bitdefender 2011.

• Technical Support--It appears you have SEVERAL problems with your "Silent Security" software...if that's what you want to call it. There are at least five different threads on this Forum indicating similar problems with BitDefender 2012. Instead of the plausible deniability and casting blame on web browser(s) software or functionality, add-ons, or other third party software; how about determining the real root cause(s), forumulate positive and lasting correction action/solution(s), and get them out to the customers ASAP! The guesses and excuses are getting a little old.