Autorun & Optical Drive Not Recognized

I've spent approximately 60 hours trying to get my new computer running. Returned it and bought a different one. Same results - shortly after installing BD, AutoRun does not work and the optical drive in windows explorer does not associate an icon with the drive. For music and movies, it shows the data, but nothing can be done with it. I can open Windows Media Play first , then load the disc and get music and movies to play. Windows Media Player will not rip or burn cds. Itunes will rip and burn cds.

Through many hours on the phone with technical support and following their diagnostic instructions, nothing. They actually thought it was their optical drive; thus, I returned the first computer. Now, the same thing on the second computer = many more hours on the phone with technical support.

Through my internet research, experiments with playing CDs & DVDs and burning music and data, I have determined that it is not the optical drive or Windows 7.

YES, I've gone to AutoRun settings and set to default and SAVED about 20 different times = NoGo on AutoRun.

BTW - computer is a HP DV6-6173cl...64 bit. AND I just did the Repair tagged at the top of this forum and did a restart = NoGo on AutoRun.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• See if any of the information in this topic help you. It's in the BD 2011 forum, but the Registry changes may still apply.

Regards,

• See if any of the information in this topic help you. It's in the BD 2011 forum, but the Registry changes may still apply.

Regards,

I had done that with HP technical support and through that thread with ZERO success.

• I repaired my computer by restoring to factory settings and NOT INSTALLING BITDEFENDER.

I have install another, MORE RELIABLE, INTERNET SECURITY SUITE and my computer is running great.

Thank You Bitdenfender for allowing me to flush my money down the toilet and WASTING 70+ hours of my life.

• Hello

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

Take care.

This discussion has been closed.