Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Quicken Extremely Slow At Start-up

I use Quicken a lot and have set a password for it that has to be entered when I start it. Prior to upgrading to BDIS 2012 a few days ago, the password pop-up window has always popped up nearly instantly.

I haven't noticed any problems with other programs, but when I launch Quicken it takes from 20 seconds to as much as 4-5 minutes (!) to be able to enter the password. The pop-up window sluggishly starts to form, then disappears (possibly behind the Quicken window itself...not sure), then fades back once or twice. Finally when it's fully formed, I click inside text box to enter password. It can take 10 seconds or more to be able to enter password, then when I do, the asterisks appear one at a time extremely slowly, taking a second or more between characters.

Once it lets me into Quicken, it usually seems to run normally, although occassionally it's sluggish. That could be anything, and it's only happened a few times, so I'm not concerned about that at the moment, but the password delay is crazy. Usually takes me several minutes to get program going, whereas with BDIS 2010 it was essentially instantaneous. I need this resolved. For privacy/security reasons, I don't want to leave Quicken open all the time, but to close it requires me to waste several minutes the next time entering my password again. Obviously something is screwed up.

Previous to posting this I searched entire forum site for "Quicken" and found that several years ago someone had this same problem with an older version of BD. Since this only started the other day after I upgraded to 2012, I needed to post the problem here since the previous discussion didn't apply to 2012 features. Please help! Thanks.

Comments

• Hello,

As far as I can see in the older topics about the same issue (I assume you already read them), the users generally reported that the problem was gone once IDS was disabled. Have you tried the same steps to see what the result is?

To disable IDS, open BitDefender, go to Firewall and set Intrusion Detection System to OFF. Please make sure that Quicken is completely closed when you make this change. After disabling IDS, try running Quicken again and post back the result.

If you can't fully stop Quicken (for instance, if it has any running services which can't be stopped, or any other situation), please disable IDS and then restart your computer. Then try running Quicken.

Once you post back the result we can see what we can do next.

Cris.

• kevinbastian
    edited December 2011

Thank you Cris.

Unfortunately, I already checked that and IDS has been turned off. Not sure if it was ever on, actually. I don't recall turning it off after installation, but whatever the reason, it's been turned off for some time and the Qucken problem I described has been occuring with IDS turned off. The only Firewall setting that is turned on is Block port scans. The other four--IDS, Internet connection sharing, Increase log verbosity, and Monitor Wi-Fi connections--are all turned off.

In looking at Advanced Settings for Firewall, I checked Application rules and there is a rule for Quicken which says it's trusted and to allow any protocol.

I just wondered if perhaps the password login was a separate application that launched a separate process, so I closed Quicken, waited a bit, then relaunched it, this time watching an alphabetized process list on Task Manager. I saw qw.exe (main Quicken process) appear as soon as I launched, and no other q*** process launched. Of the applications I find in the Quicken folder in Program Files folder, I see something called, bagent.exe, not bdagent :) , which sounded curious, so I repeated the process of watching Task Manager while launching and never saw it either. Curiously, the 2nd time I launched Quicken, the login took about half the time as 1st, but the 3rd time, it took much longer than either previous attempt (several minutes).

So I'm stumped. What else can I try?

Thanks.

• Hi :)

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Thank you.

• Thank you for your prompt reply, Christian.

I'm downloading the support tool now (it appears your upload is going through a 2400 bps modem, so it's taking a loooooonnnnnnnnngggggggggg time, 22KB/sec... OK, I guess that's a lot faster than modem :) Just 10-100 times slower than most of my downloads.)

I'll run when I get time and send you the log file.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited December 2011

IDS is disabled by default. If you didn't manually enable it, it's normal to be disabled.

Try also disabling Active Virus Control (from Antivirus) - AVC is enabled by default. Please follow the same steps as for IDS (as in: make sure Quicken is completely closed). Then post back the result.

Cris.

• I turned Active virus control off, retried Quicken, got same results, if not worse. Took me 3-4 minutes to finally get password into the box and click OK.

I had Task Manager up and was sorting by CPU usage. This was interesting. I found process called netsession_win.exe running and often showing higher than qw.exe. Top process was System Idle Process, then vvserv.exe and netsession_win.exe were jumping around the top along with (sometimes) qw.exe.

I did some searches on netsession_win.exe and found a lot of people questioning what the heck it was and where it came from. Apparently it's from Akamai and is used to accelerate file downloads, and creates a download network of many unsuspecting (and unconsenting) users in torrent style to speed downloads. Partly a good thing (if it does improve download speed and free up bandwidth) and partly a very bad thing (doing all this without our permission or even our knowledge).

Based on what a couple people posted, it probably was introduced to my system by a recent upgrade I allowed for Adobe Acrobat. I don't know if it's causing this Quicken slowdown or just a coincidence. Seemingly they're unrelated, especially since the Quicken problem occurred immediately after I upgraded to BD2012. I launch Quicken multiple times/day. There was no question on my part. It launched fine before the BD2010-2012 upgrade; launches terribly since then. I'm just pointing out the netsession_win.exe issue in case it's somehow a player in this mystery.

• Hi

Have you managed to download an run the support tool?

Could you please send me the log?

Thank you.