Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Rescue Disk And Raid

Options
Pilgrim
edited February 2022 in The Archive

Hello,

I am trying to scan my system but i have 2 disks configured as RAID 1 (stripe) the cd boot_s but no disk array is found. My question is , is it possible to use the rescue cd with a RAID system and if so how.

Many thanks in advance

Pilgrim

Comments

• csalgau
    csalgau ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options

Due to the large number of configurations on client PCs we are unable to provide a solution that will accommodate all situations.

We have recently changed the platform we base the rescue CD on to Ubuntu which has wider support than the previous one. Please try to use the latest build and see if this helps.

If your configuration is based on a software RAID implementation(such as Dynamic Disk under Windows) access to these is not possible as far as I know. For hardware implementations, the problem is usually a lack of drivers in the compiled Linux kernel we're using.

As alternatives, you may try to find a live Linux distribution with better hardware support(I understand that the Gentoo LiveDVD is OK in this area) that has access to your RAID configuration and either install our free Linux offering inside a ramdrive or chroot to the rescue CD and try from there.

Hope this helps!

• Pilgrim
    Options

Hi Catalin

Thank you for the quick reply. The RAID is hardware and the drivers are nvidia. I will look into the other solutions you have suggested.

Thank you

Pilgrim

• Is there anyway to add the raid support we need into the iso file so it's present on boot? I'd really rather not have to install a Linux and compile the drivers every time I would need to run this disc.

• Is there anyway to add the raid support we need into the iso file so it's present on boot? I'd really rather not have to install a Linux and compile the drivers every time I would need to run this disc.

I agree a rescue disk without raid support is not usefull.

• JoshY
    Options

I agree too. News about that ?

Thanks.

• I am thinking what is the level of RAID you used that will let you rescue your hard drive even if the other has been corrupted?good.gif

• csalgau
    Options
    Is there anyway to add the raid support we need into the iso file so it's present on boot? I'd really rather not have to install a Linux and compile the drivers every time I would need to run this disc.

You may try remastering our existing Rescue CD with standard Ubuntu methods to add the needed feature. I believe what you need is availability of device-mapper and dmraid. Unfortunately this is not very easy to do.

I am thinking what is the level of RAID you used that will let you rescue your hard drive even if the other has been corrupted?good.gif

The original poster did not have any drive corruption or similar problem. The inquiry was strictly about scanning a drive under a RAID setup.

Out of the standard RAID levels, the only one to not offer recovery in the event of a drive corruption is RAID 0. All other levels are fault tolerant enough for at least one drive to sustain corruption or be taken offline. For non-standard configurations, JBOD or software implementations, this varies widely.