Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Change From Pc Tools S.d W/av To Total Security ?

trapper
trapper ✭✭✭

Gentlemen (And Ladies)

My PC tools license will expire in May and I am looking to either pay up or seek something better/more secure/less hassle/less problems, if such an animal exists!

Reading many reviews has shown Bitdefender to be one of the better programs along with a few others like Norton 2012 etc.

Can any member who has used PC TOOLS Spyware Doctor with Anti Virus, and Bitdefender Total Security give me any comments on their experience? I am using Windows 7 64bit and do have trusteer rapport installed, is this 'conflict' now resolved? I am not very 'Geeky' and am looking for a program to keep the PC safe from the net with minimal input from me.

I use Mailwasher Pro to filter my emails with Outlook 2010 as my default program, does BD do the same job, it looks like it ?

I know I can get 30 days free trial but I like to do a little homework first.

Thank you for your input.

Trapper

Comments

• trapper
    trapper ✭✭✭

Okay, no replies so I have been looking through some of the posts (from search) relating to Trusteer Rapport. It seems not good news, Black screens of death, slow to seized systems, poor support, disable, enable, uninstall, re-install. Driver conflicts and more.

Quarry seems to have the patience of a saint....!

Looks like a re-think on my part for a new program.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Welcome to the forums.

That situation was resolved, Trusteer released a new version and no more issues were reported.

Also, there is no need to use that software with Bitdefender.

I am offering you a special installation kit with 3 months extended trial for Bitdefender 2012.

In order to switch to Bitdefender 2012, please follow the steps from below:

0. Uninstall any other security solutions from your PC and reboot.

1. Download and install the software and then run it to clear your computer's registry:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/usin...gistry-cleaning

Once the cleaning is complete it's recommended to restart your computer.

2. Install BitDefender using the latest installation kit available for download. Please note that you need to download (save) the installation kit prior to running it.

The BitDefender Total Security 2012 installation kit can be downloaded from here:

http://www.bitdefender.com/media/trials/en...r_tsecurity.exe

When you are prompted to enter a key, just select trial.

For more information on the registration process please read:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-do-...fender-843.html

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-do-...ersion-844.html

Should you need further information, please do not hesitate to reply to this message.

Have a nice day.

• trapper
    trapper ✭✭✭

Hi Christian.

Thank you for your welcome and helpful reply, I would be very pleased to accept your kind offer and have downloaded the file as suggested and printed out the links for use later.

The Trusteer program was wanted as part of an online Bank security system which they required I install, as the issues are now resolved there will not be a problem in keeping them happy.

I already use CCleaner and will use the Registry cleaner after uninstalling the SD program.

Does the Tsecurity 2012 link include the 3 months trial or do I need to apply for an extension at the end of the 30 days?.

As said this is very generous of you and appreciated, perhaps you should delete this thread in case everyone else will be after a 3 months trial!

I will install later this week when I have more time to 'play'.

Regards

Trapper

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

The 90 days license key is embedded in that special kit, so you don't need to manually enter a key each month.

Run some test and provide me your feedback.

Also, I recommend you to install the product, update it, reboot and after that run a Full System Scan.

Have a great weekend!

• I have used PCTools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus for four years and started using Bitdefender a couple of months ago. There are some items that are easier to config in PCTools, but overall I have found Bitdefender to be the better product and to have far better support.

And in saying that I have been a PCTools user for OVER TWENTY (20) years and I have switched.

I manage a large government IT area for nearly 30 years...so I know security products and have tried/used them all. This is the best affordable product for personal use out there bar none.

• trapper
    trapper ✭✭✭
    I have used PCTools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus for four years and started using Bitdefender a couple of months ago. There are some items that are easier to config in PCTools, but overall I have found Bitdefender to be the better product and to have far better support.

And in saying that I have been a PCTools user for OVER TWENTY (20) years and I have switched.

I manage a large government IT area for nearly 30 years...so I know security products and have tried/used them all. This is the best affordable product for personal use out there bar none.

Thanks for your comments :rolleyes:

Well, I now have the paid up Total Security 2012 installed and sometimes wonder if I have as there are virtually no visible intrusions that I can see.

I must admit that I would prefer to see a confirmation that emails had been scanned as with PCT and AVG but it seems BD will only flag infected emails. I have yet to explore the SafeBox part of the program.

Scans seem much faster than with PCT, they took hours and hours to complete! I have noticed a slightly longer boot to welcome screen than before but I never timed it so am guessing a little.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Welcome back.

BitDefender has a feature called SmartScan, which decreases the duration of the scan by adding clean files to a cache so that they will be skipped at the next scan if the files have not been accessed or modified in any way. If a file that is already present in the cache is accessed, then it will be removed from the cache.

The "Cache" created by Bitdefender is the same for all types of scans*, also for all the scanned files . Once you ran a scan, the clean files are moved to this Cache. Also, BitDefender is scanning all the files and processes accessed in real time. These are also added to the same cache if they are clean.

Only the clean files are moved to this Cache. When you will start a scan, BitDefender will first check this Cache in order to know what files it will skip. Also, once a file from the Cache is modified, it will automatically be removed from the cache list and BitDefender will scan it again in order to make sure the file is clean.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care.