Internet Security 2012 & Network Map

I have just installed Internet Security on 8 PC's all of them running Windows 7 64 bit with Service Pack 1. I wanted to manage some of them (all wired ethernet) using the Network Map function of BitDefender Internet Security 2012. To do this I configured one PC as the Server with a fairly simple password. I then configured two more PC's as normal PC's using the same password on each machine. This was done using the systems local administrator accounts.

When I try and add the PC's to the network map of the server system the error message says "The selected computer does not have BitDefender is not installed".

Why won't this feature work straight out of the box? These PC's are simple configurations with vanilla installs of Windows 7.

All systems are connected via a 100MB switch and are in the same IP v4 subnet. Each system can ping the other one and they are all in the same Windows 7 Homegroup.

Any ideas on how to get this working?

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello Andy :)

Please try to follow these steps and let me know if everything is OK.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=132054

Take care.

• Which steps are you referring to?

I tried disabling the BitDefender firewall on the server and two client PC's and that did not work. The client PC's do appear in the list of computers when trying to add them. If I click on one of the PC's a string of the format "fe80:6ca3:a92a:d46e:8100%10" appears in the 'IP of computer name' box above the Add and Cancel buttons. If I click 'Add' I get the "The selected computer does not have Bitdefender installed..." error message.

All PC's are configured with a network type of Home/Office, Stealth Mode: Remote and Generic: No.

They are all allocated v4 IP addresses from a DHCP server operating on the router.

Please let me know if you require any more information.

Andy

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Do you have a firewall on the router? If so, please disable it temporary.

Thank you.

• Hello :)

Do you have a firewall on the router? If so, please disable it temporary.

Thank you.

Apologies for the late reply. The firewall is integrated with the router and can't be turned off. I may be able to run some tests with the router powered down.

Network Map would have been a nice feature as I have PC's spread over three floors. However, getting it working is not a priority for me but I am surprised that a product feature could be released when it clearly does not work.

Andy

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Welcome back.

The module is functional and is working properly.

If the hardware firewall is blocking the port used for the update process, the product can not function under these conditions.

It should be a way to allow connections in the router management page.

Also, could you please tell me what router have you installed at home?

Have a great weekend!

• Hello :)

Welcome back.

The module is functional and is working properly.

If the hardware firewall is blocking the port used for the update process, the product can not function under these conditions.

It should be a way to allow connections in the router management page.

Also, could you please tell me what router have you installed at home?

Have a great weekend!

The router is a D-Link DIR 615 running firmware 1.00VG which I believe is a special edition of the firmware produced for Virgin Media in the UK. It has a number of firewall features including Port forwarding and the ability to define up to 50 firewall rules. If the Network Map feature requires a firewall rule could you let me know what is required?

By the way all ethernet cabled systems are connected to a 100MB switch/hub which is then connected to the D-Link router. The D-Link does proved a WiFi access point for systems connecting via WiFi though.

Andy

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello Andy :)

I have D-Link DIR-635 at home and I can tell you for sure that the Network Map module is working properly, both on wilress and wired connection.

I disabled all the firewall functions, Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and i use WPA2 for wireless.

Please check to see if the producer released a newer firmware for your router, install it and disable what I've mentioned earlier.

Have a great weekend!

• Hello Andy :)

I have D-Link DIR-635 at home and I can tell you for sure that the Network Map module is working properly, both on wilress and wired connection.

I disabled all the firewall functions, Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and i use WPA2 for wireless.

Please check to see if the producer released a newer firmware for your router, install it and disable what I've mentioned earlier.

Have a great weekend!

Thank you for your reply Christian!

Due to the restrictive firmware of the DIR-635 produced for the Virgin Media cable network, I am not able to turn off the firewall function. Even if it were possible, I would not want to do this as the firewall is protecting some systems which do not run BitDefender but need internet access.

As the firewall rules only comes into operation when a packet goes from one interface to another (Lan to Wan or Wan to Lan) how is it stopping a service which should be local to the LAN?

Just wondering...

Andy

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited April 2012

The router is blocking the outgoing rules from Bitdefender. In all the products, the Network Map module is using the firewall drivers to send and receive remote commands.

How many PC do you have in the house and how many have Bitdefender and how many have other security solutions?

Take care.