How Do Exit Bitdefender Completely?

Can someone tell me how I can exit / shut down BitDefender program completely?

so that it does not run in the background at all.

Evaluating BitDefender at the moment and is like everything except this.

Comments

• please excuse the broken English demonstrated in the opening post.

• I know you can go into the settings button at the top right of the screen. There a bunch of checkmarks there. Just disable the ones you dont want, mainly Antivirus and Firewall etc. Or just uncheck them all and then run your other program. When your done you can just go back in and recheck these boxes to enable BD again. As for switching it totally off, im not really sure. You used to be able to right click on the icon in the task bar and just shut it down but now it doesnt seem to have that option.

• please excuse the broken English demonstrated in the opening post.

It's not that easy. You have to disable BitDefender services (in safe mode).

• To shut down Bitdefender totally do the following:-

Start Button

Run

Type cmd (opens an MS-DOS window)

Type the following commands:-

cd\

cd program files

cd bitdefender

cd bitdefender 2010

bdagent /stop

To restart type the following commands

cd\

cd program files

cd bitdefender

cd bitdefender 2010

bdagent /start

• Alex Stanciu
    Alex Stanciu ✭✭
    edited September 2009

Hello Furia,

The instructions provided by breadncheese, will only stop BitDefender from displaying on your system tray . If you want to completely disable the BitDefender services please follow the steps bellow :

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode:

- restart the computer;

- repeatedly press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins

to load (you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu);

- select "SAFE MODE" in the text menu and press "Enter".

- wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation

message; click "Yes" to acknowledge.

2. Click on Start from Windows and choose Run. Type "services.msc" (without quoutes) then click on Ok .

3. In the list of services look after "BitDefender Virus Shield", right click on it and under "Startup type" choose "Manual" .

4. Now, restart your computer in Normal Mode and try to open BitDefender. You will have the message that the BitDefender Services are not responding.

5. In order to start the BitDefender services again, follow the second step, right click on "BitDefender Virus Shield" and choose "Start".

Thank you .

• Wow this seems really complicated. why can we not just right click on the system trey icon and hit exit. I know we used to be able to do this with the older BD applications.

• Hello stevenomes,

Due to security reasons, in our latest BitDefender product was introduced a self protect system, which will not allow any modifications on the program files or registries. You can disable from the product different modules, but the main BitDefender service will still remain active and if you have an application that requires you to stop completely your antivirus program, you must apply the steps provided in my last post.

Thank you .

• there are viruses, trojans and malware that attempt to disable protection before they execute.

so IF Bit Defender self protection is effective against these situations, it's good it exists,

and it is convenient indeed that you can't disable BD in normal OS mode.

i understand that some ppl may want to release resources taken by BD,

on the other hand though i must admit to be pleasently surprised

that BDIS 2010 is less resources hungry than its predecessor...

well, at least on my XP Pro 32bit PC.

i only hope none of future product updates will bring troubles,

like it used to be with BDIS 2009.

^_^

• L.o.D.
    L.o.D. ✭✭

What if you cannot access safemode due to a glitch that claims no keyboard present during bootup? Keyboard works flawless once in windows though.

Don't have a wired keyboard, only USB.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hi :)

That post is from 2009, I think he resolved the issue.

If the keyboard is wireless, you should try to use a normal one over PS2 or USB(during Windows installations you have to use a wired one). With that one, you can access Safe Mode for sure bu pressing F8 key.

Take care.

This discussion has been closed.