Cannot Run Scandisc On Boot Drive

With BD Total Security 2013 installed i cannot run a scandisk (chkdisk) on my boot drive C.

I get this message: Cannot open volume for direct access.

Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.

Use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system to a point prior to the recent software package installation.

An unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1).

As soon as i uninstall BD 2013 i have no issue.

Win 7 64 bit

I sent logs to support-a few days ago but they did not answer. On the phone(before sending logs) the tech support agent had me run everything at default and even shutoff firewall and AV--did not help.

Is there something that prevents tampering wit BD that is doing this?

Any ideas-because not being able to scan boot drive after a crash is a deal breaker for this program.

I had 2 system scans crash after 13 and 15 hours and did have drive errors on a couple of other drives after this. It would be nice to scan boot drive to check for errors without uninstalling BD again but i cannot.

Thanks for reading this.

Comments

• With BD Total Security 2013 installed i cannot run a scandisk (chkdisk) on my boot drive C.

I get this message: Cannot open volume for direct access.

Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.

Use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system to a point prior to the recent software package installation.

An unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1).

As soon as i uninstall BD 2013 i have no issue.

Win 7 64 bit

I sent logs to support-a few days ago but they did not answer. On the phone(before sending logs) the tech support agent had me run everything at default and even shutoff firewall and AV--did not help.

Is there something that prevents tampering wit BD that is doing this?

Any ideas-because not being able to scan boot drive after a crash is a deal breaker for this program.

I had 2 system scans crash after 13 and 15 hours and did have drive errors on a couple of other drives after this. It would be nice to scan boot drive to check for errors without uninstalling BD again but i cannot.

Thanks for reading this.

I have the same exact issue! Same message when trying to do a CHKDSK on the C: drive.

My BD product is Internet Security 2013, OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64.

• I have the same exact issue! Same message when trying to do a CHKDSK on the C: drive.

My BD product is Internet Security 2013, OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64.

Update!

Just did a BD Repair and now CHKDSK works again! :rolleyes:

It seems that doing a BD Repair every so often is a FAD (Functioning As Designed ;) ) for BitDefender.

• Hi,

Trying to run repair and it is hanging for 35 minutes at uninstal-65%,, install 0% .

How long did this procedure take for you?

• Hi,

Trying to run repair and it is hanging for 35 minutes at uninstal-65%,, install 0% .

How long did this procedure take for you?

In my case it took like 3 to 4 minutes and a restart. It sounds like you could have more complex issues.

Can you cancel the repair and then do a full uninstall and reinstall?

• cancelled and used uninstall tool.

Reinstalled BD and the problem is still there. Cannot run scandisk on boot drive.

The clue is it must be doing something to boot drive because it runs on all other drives (6 of them), just not on c drive.

• Tried repair again and it hangs again at 65%.

Something is wrong but BD support help is nowhere to be found.--ie no help at all.

DAF44-Let me know if you have any ideas.

• Daf44
    edited September 2012
    Tried repair again and it hangs again at 65%.

Something is wrong but BD support help is nowhere to be found.--ie no help at all.

DAF44-Let me know if you have any ideas.

As I said before, my desktop computer gave me the same error message you got when using the CHKDSK function. Like you, I suspected BidDefender and did the Repair which fixed the problem. I have tested the CHKDSK function several times now and everything is ok.

I think you have also established BitDefender as the culprit since the problem went away when you uninstalled BD.

Maybe you need to use the uninstall tool a few times before doing the reinstall, just a thought. Also make sure you use the latest version download.

If you still have the problem then it is something that needs to be addressed by a BD tech person, hopefully soon!

Good Luck!

• Thanks for your input.

It seems BD idea of ssupport is to have you send logs and then do nothing with tem (at least in some cases).

I got better support from you then their tech staff.

• Switched to Kaspersky Internet Security 2013.

Tech support at bitdefender excels at saying i understand and i'm sorry.

Sent 3 different logs to them and they never replied.

I had no problems with KIS 2012 but switched because Bitdefender seems to get higher ratings.

Instead it is a flawed product missing most scan and control options found elsewhere.

Bitdefender should be ashamed of this buggy product.

• Switched to Kaspersky Internet Security 2013.

Tech support at bitdefender excels at saying i understand and i'm sorry.

Sent 3 different logs to them and they never replied.

I had no problems with KIS 2012 but switched because Bitdefender seems to get higher ratings.

Instead it is a flawed product missing most scan and control options found elsewhere.

Bitdefender should be ashamed of this buggy product.

yeah...very buggy product....poor support...no person available for the forum replies....Good decision in the end.....

• I have the same problem. I will try repair option and return with details.

• I can confirm that Repair returned my product to the first build installed 16.16, and the problem is resolved. <_<

• mitza97

I cannot even do a repair--i have to uninstall and reinstall but that does not fix the issue.

2nd Issue-Have you been able to do a system restore from any restore point?

• mitza97
    mitza97
    edited September 2012
    mitza97

I cannot even do a repair--i have to uninstall and reinstall but that does not fix the issue.

2nd Issue-Have you been able to do a system restore from any restore point?

Hello.

I don't use system restore. I suggest you to use another system backup programs, which will be more good than system restore.

I use a FREE system backup program (i don't wanna make advertise here :rolleyes:).

Google for FREE system backup programs and you will find good programs.

• @Cristi:

Please take a look on this topic.

This is a general problem.

Failure running scandisk is a big problem sometimes... :blink:

• Sir_Vikin
    edited October 2012

Mitza- you didnt link a topic to refer too!

As for the topic itself.. I too have this same exact problem with BD TS 2013 and the only solution/workaround that I have found is to uninstall BD TS 2013 and then run a scan disk.. Running a repair does not fix it for me.. I'm running a laptop with 1 HD and what I really find odd about this is that when I boot into safe mode and try and run a command prompt (with BD TS 2013 installed) the command prompt shows chinese/asian characters and refuses to show the "/" when I type it....

Hopefully they will figure out a fix for this soon.

• Hi,

I am having this problem with BTAV Plus 2013 on my win xp laptop. I just upgraded from a prior version of BTAV. I could run scandisk before the upgrade with no problem.

Do you suggest I try the BTAV repair?

If so how do I do that?

OR just wait to see if they fix it in an update?

Happy trails, Mike

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hi :)

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day.

• Posting to say that I have encountered the same problem for the past few weeks. Running a laptop with Windows 7 64 bit, which seems to jive with the other posters. Also, getting constant "Bitdefender has encountered a critical error!" message windows. Christian, do you want me to do the same as you instructed below, or just wait with the silent masses for a fix?

Hi :)

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day.

• Hello :)

Please send me the logs so I can take a look over them.

Thank you for your patience and for the cooperation with BitDefender team.