Was Buying Bitdefender A Good Choice?

I logged on to these forums in the hope that I'd find something useful and mostly what is leaping out at me is a totally angry user base who have purchased a product that isn't being supported.

Is this the case with Bitdefender? Is it a wasted purchase?

I've noticed a problem with Bitdefender running on my PC. I can not use Adobe Lightroom without it bogging down my system to the point that it stops working.

After removing the product, my problem vanished.

Is there any hope for using this software?

Comments

• I logged on to these forums in the hope that I'd find something useful and mostly what is leaping out at me is a totally angry user base who have purchased a product that isn't being supported.

I've noticed a problem with Bitdefender running on my PC. I can not use Adobe Lightroom without it bogging down my system to the point that it stops working.

I think the biggest question is there any hope for this company??? I've been trying to get help with all the problems this product has caused and all I received for putting my trust and money into a non-secure online security system was ignored and banned by The moderator/tech support for standing up for my consumer rights!!

Stay clear of S.H.I.TDefender is my advice!!

• werby3
    edited October 2012
    ...Is this the case with Bitdefender? Is it a wasted purchase?...

Hello,

"Try Before you Buy"...an old gold rule says.

If you have already bought it, then welcome to the disappointed (cheated) users club!!!

Of course you can also "Throw it away" as a wonderful old song says. :)

Regards

• columbo
    columbo
    edited October 2012

Hi GrayPhotography, and welcome :)

If that was the only known issue you had while Bitdefender was installed (let alone the support concerns you mentioned) you could add Lightroom's process in the scanning exclusions to see if that helps. Using Process Explorer will show you the .exe files to add, to hopefully keep that software and your PC running more smoothly. How to add Exclusions can be found here. The example below is Process Explorer showing me the .exe files of a image capturing software I could add into exclusions, as you can have it sort by company name:

Snagititrunningprocesses.jpg

If you decide to re-install Bitdefender, I would first run the 2013 uninstall tool from here, to make sure the previous install remnants are cleaned up, then run CCleaner in Reg. mode, only deleting leftover BD reg. keys, then run it in Sweep mode. Restart your PC, and reinstall BD.

Hope this helps :)

Columbo

• Thank you Columbo. I've pretty much solved the problem with Bitdefender. I removed it.

I'm not really interested in investing more time into something that is ultimately wasting my time. I'll write the purchase off as a bad investment, maybe it can be a tax deduction or something. After reading through these forums, it's obvious this software is a loser.

Hi GrayPhotography, and welcome :)

If that was the only known issue you had while Bitdefender was installed (let alone the support concerns you mentioned) you could add Lightroom's process in the scanning exclusions to see if that helps. Using Process Explorer will show you the .exe files to add, to hopefully keep that software and your PC running more smoothly. How to add Exclusions can be found here. The example below is Process Explorer showing me the .exe files of a image capturing software I could add into exclusions, as you can have it sort by company name:

Snagititrunningprocesses.jpg

If you decide to re-install Bitdefender, I would first run the 2013 uninstall tool from here, to make sure the previous install remnants are cleaned up, then run CCleaner in Reg. mode, only deleting leftover BD reg. keys, then run it in Sweep mode. Restart your PC, and reinstall BD.

Hope this helps :)

Columbo

• columbo
    columbo
    edited October 2012

You're welcome, and thank you for posting back and letting us know your resolve.

Granted, the all around support options we have may be in need of attention, but the security of this software is excellent, especially the AV, Firewall and Phishing protection, and are IMHO, second to none..issues, sure, but what AV that isn't pushing themselves to be the best in protection, aren't going to have issues to resolve?

I'm not trying to create a debate thread here (or talk you back), but for you to maybe monitor this forum once in awhile and maybe in the future try installing Bitdefender again, as you see some of the issues you're concerned about being resolved? Just a thought, and of course, up to you :)

Thanks again, and take care,

Columbo

edit: spelling ^_^

• I logged on to these forums in the hope that I'd find something useful and mostly what is leaping out at me is a totally angry user base who have purchased a product that isn't being supported.

OH good grief. This is a forum, not tech support. You get answers from your fellow users and Christian is the only person moderating or pointing out anything officially from Bitdefender. The people out here vet their frustration and other information unnecessarily and while I don't pretend to listen to all of this stuff, I can't attest to their situation. I've had to use Bitdefender Tech Support 4 times in just over 3 years of using the product. In all cases I received follow ups and solutions. In terms of some other issues lately, no follow ups but they were low priority issues. Unfortunately just because somebody doesn't like what they get they shouldn't go around bashing things endlessly, they should just contact the number listed, get a refund and go buy something else instead of constantly whining and moaning and ######. If that doesn't work call your credit card company, dispute the charge and let them deal with it that way.

The crap that's out here lately isn't condusive to any kind of open discussion on issues people are having and only goes to generate a bunch of bulls**t.

All Software has issues, that's more apparent for me now more than ever even when MSFT attests that it has tested WIndows 8 for 1.24 Billion hours (yeah sounds like hamburgers sold) MSFT Tests Windows 8 for 1.24 Billion Hours It took 5 retries on the first system I upgraded over the weekend to get one complete. Basically most of Friday Night and Saturday, just upgrading one machine with the resources of MSFT on hardware that is less than a year old, complete with the new and improved BSOD features along with it.

Now, if people want to gripe about Bitdefender, you certainly have a right to but just also remember that there are people out here who want to find out information about the product and any use issues or ways of doing things that forums are meant for, not just gripes.

If there's one suggestion I'd have for the management of Bitdefender, it would be to address these folks who constantly have problems and either fix them or give them their money back and send them on their way.

• OH good grief. This is a forum, not tech support.

The crap that's out here lately isn't condusive to any kind of open discussion on issues people are having and only goes to generate a bunch of bulls**t.

OH good asleep.

First of all, this a forum for tech support primarily and secondarily for discussions/infos about BD products.

These companies are obligated to offer this, in a right way.

Now, what if private or public support doesn't work properly or at all, like the last two months here. Don't you think that users, that have paid for this product, MUST somehow act? And what if they are constantly ignored?

You have to consider what makes users (again, who have paid for this product and supporting) posting all these "crap" here, in public. Is it their psycho problems or the lack of any kind of supporting?

As for you (and me), we have the patience and availability to work around an issue and finally resolve it (if so) after 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 years (and I thing, this is a real psycho problem :) ) but what about a simple user that cannot do or doesn't want it?

So, I think that you have to be more careful before you criticize users that feel bad or cheated about their choice.

My Best Regards!

P.S. : Sorry for my bad english

• OH good asleep.

First of all, this a forum for tech support primarily and secondarily for discussions/infos about BD products.

These companies are obligated to offer this, in a right way.

Now, what if private or public support doesn't work properly or at all, like the last two months here. Don't you think that users, that have paid for this product, MUST somehow act? And what if they are constantly ignored?

You have to consider what makes users (again, who have paid for this product and supporting) posting all these "crap" here, in public. Is it their psycho problems or the lack of any kind of supporting?

As for you (and me), we have the patience and availability to work around an issue and finally resolve it (if so) after 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 years (and I thing, this is a real psycho problem :) ) but what about a simple user that cannot do or doesn't want it?

So, I think that you have to be more careful before you criticize users that feel bad or cheated about their choice.

My Best Regards!

P.S. : Sorry for my bad english

Okay rather than get into a rant war with you here, what is their "obligation?"

Did you read the license agreement when you bought the product? In legal terms, at least in the US, this shrink wrap, so I'm not sure

what recourse you have other than taking them to court but nobody is obliged to give you web forums so you can stand on a soapbox and complain all the time. If you don't like the service you're getting, send an e-mail, phone your local leaders, call the EU, ###### do something other than drone on and on and on about your windows XP system that you probably hijacked the license for back in 2004 and it hasn't had a security update from Microsoft in 3 years etc. etc. etc.

Sorry, that last part wasn't directed at you but I come occasionally to find out about new things and problems people have, sure everybody's customer service is horrible but complaining in this format is not constructive. Maybe you should do a Crowd b i t c h session or something but it's getting annoying for us who 1) aren't bitdefender and 2) are satisfied with the products we've purchased with them. I mean, really get a fricken life!

• Okay rather than get into a rant war with you here...

... Maybe you should do a Crowd b i t c h session or something but it's getting annoying for us who 1) aren't bitdefender and 2) are satisfied with the products we've purchased with them. I mean, really get a fricken life!

War? Nobody wants this, especially with U(S).

But you have to respect what is annoying for the other side of the ocean.

Thank you

• War? Nobody wants this, especially with U(S).

But you have to respect what is annoying for the other side of the ocean.

Thank you

Oh trust me, I respect differences of opinion and all software has problems. I realize there's a few people who are upset but if you have these kinds of serious issues, I suggest that there's other problems that you're having outside of what Bitdefender is able to fix.

In the US we have a saying "The kind of help you need, we can't supply."

Anyway, peace out.

• werby3
    edited October 2012
    ...there's other problems that you're having outside of what Bitdefender is able to fix. ...

That's a very good point!

As for the "b i t c h session" :

B i t c h session is for some people to get a nice sleep.

Publication is for some people to lose their sleep.

Thank you!

Peace, peace and again peace :)

• The forum is maybe a place where users should be able air their worries, grievances or anything else relevant to the software. However, the problems aired aren't really a reflection of the program's performance in general. People only come here when they experience difficulties. Not many will come to the forum to say how happy they are with the program. I'd say that for every person who has a problem, there will be hundreds or thousands of silent users for whom Bitdefender works satisfactorily.

• werby3
    edited October 2012
    ...I'd say that for every person who has a problem, there will be hundreds or thousands of silent users for whom Bitdefender works satisfactorily.

...and then they call a friend or the nearest technician to see why their PC always stuck or going crazy...

I'd say that, every issue (not person's problem) reported here helps improvement of this kind of products that normally have many many issues and helps hundreds or thousand of silent users to be satisfied.

Regards!

• ...AND in my opinion the big issue here is not the complaints or reports of users but the lack of official response at least for the last months.

I cannot really understand why they prefer private contact:

... So you can always contact us on one of these channels:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/contact-us.html ...

(although users report that there was not response, even there) than here (forum) where a reported, by one (or more) user, issue may help many many others so, shouldn't have to send and receive mails or tickets or whatever and finally the solution will come sooner and effectively.

Regards

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello everyone :)

...and CUT!

@ GrayPhotography

Thank you for your feedback.

If you want to use Bitdefender, please open a new topic on the area and I will assist you with the troubleshoot procedure and answer for all your questions.

@ werby3 & Will Wood

Here is not the place and the time to argue about software.

Thank you!

@ mart

I know you had some issues with the update process.

Is everything OK now?

If not, please reply to your topic from the Update area.

Thank you too for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.