Bitdefender Vault

Hello,

Can you please let me know how can we recover a vault, if we delete the BVD file. Please let me know at teh earliest.

We should also incorporte this feature, that if we are trying to delete the BVD file it has to ask for the vault password and only then allow to be deleted. If the BVD file is deleted without the password being asked may the customers and result in loss of their precious data.

thanks

govind

Comments

• Hello,

Any update, i guess there is no one to answer teh queries???

Thanks

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Welcome to the forums.

The digital vault acts just like a real one, if it is if it is stolen(in this case deleted) the bad guys won't get access to the data without the password.

If you deleted the vault, you can try to recover it with a HDD data recovery tool, but this won't guarantee data integrity.

Basically, if the file that keeps the vault gets deleted, you can say goodbye to the data.

You can prevent this by creating the vault in some hidden folders or special locations on your HDD and by limiting access to it from other Windows accounts.

Have a great weekend!

• Hello,

Thanks for the reply, but the point is atleast if we could make it this way that when a bad guy is trying to delete the file atleast it could ask for the vault password to make it more secure.

Thanks

govind

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Welcome back.

Thant is an interesting request, I will forward it to our developers.

Have a great weekend!

• I guess that option is not there because I assume the vault is nothing more and less that using encryption on a file or folder. And on any operating system you can delete an encrypted file just like any other file. Even if BD adds this feature, nothing stops the user from deleting it. I mean, that feature would not protect you from easing the file because you are assuming the user already has access to the operating system, and with this to all files in the system. Like Christian said, the way to do this is with the security features and permissions directly in the operating system. This means the files should be owned by another user, not the one that is logged in.

Can someone at BD point me out how safe the vault is? What encryption does it use? AES256 bit?

If yes, does it use the AES instructions available on new Intel chips?

• Hello :)

For File vault we use AES 256 bit. So your files are perfectly safe.

Have a great weekend!