Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender 2008 Is Disappointing!

efcorson
edited December 2007 in General talk

I have used Bitdefender for over two years and have been pretty happy with it. With this version, however, somebody did NOT have a better idea.

1) In an effort to make the interface "simpler" (showing the 4 statuses in huge colored squares), Bitdefender has made it very diffcult to quickly find other features. It took me 20 minutes to find how to change the Scheduler! This is ridiculous. The Scheduler is buried about 5 menus deep in Settings, and the navigation to it is entirely non-intuitive.

2) After updating the Scheduler to a different time of night and clicking OK, Bitdefender did not remember the setting and no scan took place that night.

3) What is this Identity Control crap? I just want virus protection, not a lot of "enhancements."

4) What is this little "File Zone" box that appears on my desktop?

5) The Help is terrible. Try doing a search on "schedule" or "identity control". Nothing. You have to look in the Contents and hope you find what you're looking for. Maybe the German version is better?

6) There is one redeeming factor, though. Bitdefender 2008 loads more quickly at Startup.

Ted

Comments

• The new bitdefender is slow too.

• Hello Ted,

I'll try to answer some of your dilemmas. But keep in mind that I don't work for BitDefender (I'm only a volunteer).

1) In an effort to make the interface "simpler" (showing the 4 statuses in huge colored squares), Bitdefender has made it very diffcult to quickly find other features. It took me 20 minutes to find how to change the Scheduler! This is ridiculous. The Scheduler is buried about 5 menus deep in Settings, and the navigation to it is entirely non-intuitive.

Personally, I disagree with you. Besides the fact that you have to pass through the Security Center to get to the Advanced Settings, the rest of the interface is totally unchanged. All modules are placed exactly where they were in the previous version. (of course, with some minor changes, like a few new tabs).

2) After updating the Scheduler to a different time of night and clicking OK, Bitdefender did not remember the setting and no scan took place that night.

Here...I don't know what to say. All I can say is that there were some other users who reported that the virus scans schedules don't work correctly, but I cannot confirm this, because I never used this feature.

3) What is this Identity Control crap? I just want virus protection, not a lot of "enhancements."

First of all, please don't use thi kind of language on the forum.

Secondly, this module wasn't introduced now. It was also present in previous versions (in BitDefender v10). If you don't need a certain module, just don't use it. Many other users find this module very useful, and I agree with them, because it protects your privacy (it prevents theft of your personal data, like passwords, credit card numbers, etc...)

4) What is this little "File Zone" box that appears on my desktop?

That is called BitDefender Activity Bar, and it's been present since BitDefender v7 (a very long time ago).

If you don't like it, you can disable it: Security Center -> Settings -> Advanced (in the lower left corner) -> Enable the scan activity bar.

Cris.

• Hello Ted,

I'll try to answer some of your dilemmas. But keep in mind that I don't work for BitDefender (I'm only a volunteer).

Personally, I disagree with you. Besides the fact that you have to pass through the Security Center to get to the Advanced Settings, the rest of the interface is totally unchanged. All modules are placed exactly where they were in the previous version. (of course, with some minor changes, like a few new tabs).

Here...I don't know what to say. All I can say is that there were some other users who reported that the virus scans schedules don't work correctly, but I cannot confirm this, because I never used this feature.

First of all, please don't use thi kind of language on the forum.

Secondly, this module wasn't introduced now. It was also present in previous versions (in BitDefender v10). If you don't need a certain module, just don't use it. Many other users find this module very useful, and I agree with them, because it protects your privacy (it prevents theft of your personal data, like passwords, credit card numbers, etc...)

That is called BitDefender Activity Bar, and it's been present since BitDefender v7 (a very long time ago).

If you don't like it, you can disable it: Security Center -> Settings -> Advanced (in the lower left corner) -> Enable the scan activity bar.

Cris.

Cris, yes, I do apologize for my language. But are we looking at the same thing? I'm sorry, but this application is hard to set up. The Scheduler was NEVER "buried" in v. 10 like it is here. And the Acitvity Bar? I have never seen it before (in 3 versions of Bitdefneder).

• Ok... I see you don't believe me.

Well, I've made a short movie. A little BD IS v10 versus BD TS 2008. It shows clearly that:

- the interfaces are identical

- the activity bar existed (if you want, I'll install BD v7 or v8 and show you the activity bar there)

- the Task Schedule is exactly in the same place

The only thing that I forgot to show in the movie is the Identity Control module. In BDv10, it was called Antispyware, but the interface is exactly the same (and, if you really want to, I can make another movie with it).

You can download the movie from here: http://rapidshare.com/files/75886566/BD_IS..._TS_11.exe.html

Cris.

Well, I've made a short movie. A little BD IS v10 versus BD TS 2008. It shows clearly that:

You can download the movie from here: http://rapidshare.com/files/75886566/BD_IS..._TS_11.exe.html

Cris.

Couldn't you post that on Google video? Thare are too many hoops to jump through with rapidshare.com.

Also the video seems to be corrupt. I tried it under Real Player and Windows Media Player and all I got was some click sounds, no visual whatsoever.

• Dear Tom O'Hara

If you want to see that movie you need to install this codec. After you have installed that you will be able to view it in windows media player. If you have problems viewing movies you can use this handy tool to know which codec is missing. Unzip it run the program go to file,open,and browse to the location of the movie after the analysis you will see which codec was used and that codec you have to download.

Best regards

Niels

• Dear Tom O'Hara

If you want to see that movie you need to install this codec. After you have installed that you will be able to view it in windows media player. If you have problems viewing movies you can use this handy tool to know which codec is missing. Unzip it run the program go to file,open,and browse to the location of the movie after the analysis you will see which codec was used and that codec you have to download.

Best regards

Niels

Thanks, the codec did the trick. Also, that GSpot utility seems very useful.

Note that the comparison video was a little hard to follow given that the interfaces were in different languages: I'm guessing Romanian for BD-2008 and English for DB10. I was able to figure out what was going on, but next time you prepare such as video it would be better to use the same language.

• Well, I've made a short movie. A little BD IS v10 versus BD TS 2008. It shows clearly that:

I did notice one big difference between the BD-10 and DB-2008 interfaces, which I posted elsewhere as follow.

From [English > Products > Workstation]

Any Issues With Bitdefender V.2008?, Please answer our questions here!: Post 52:

It's very annoying that you can no longer disable specific components (e.g., Firewall) via right click on the system tray icon. Couldn't you have added an option like '[x] Use classic interface' , so we don't have to go through this new dumbed-down interface?

• Note that the comparison video was a little hard to follow given that the interfaces were in different languages: I'm guessing Romanian for BD-2008 and English for DB10. I was able to figure out what was going on, but next time you prepare such as video it would be better to use the same language.

Well, I'm a Romanian. BitDefender Total Security is the one that I have currently installed and I use it in Romanian.

BitDefender v10, as you probably noticed was installed on a Virtual Machine. I installed it only to make this comparison and I thought I should install it in English so users will understand one of the interfaces.

And you don't need to know the language. The interfaces are exactly identical, and that you can notice whatever the languages are.

About the codec I used... I didn't even realize that the movie was compressed using TechSmith Codec. Next time I'll try to use DivX :)

It's very annoying that you can no longer disable specific components (e.g., Firewall) via right click on the system tray icon.

I'll suggest this to TechSupport, but I can't guarantee anything.

Couldn't you have added an option like '[x] Use classic interface' , so we don't have to go through this new dumbed-down interface?

This is not possible (at least not without too much work, which is not worthed). Plus, bringing back the old interface will increase the size too much, will bring back the old problems related to that interface and will create new bugs. Don't get me wrong, I also liked the previous interface better then this one, but all we can do now is hope that the next version will have a new interface. ;)

Cris.

• tec505
    edited December 2007
    It's very annoying that you can no longer disable specific components (e.g., Firewall) via right click on the system tray icon.

This is the worst thing I found in this release, together w/ the useless new main window. BD guys should add a new feature: smtp multiple port setting.

Best Regrads.

Mike

• This is not possible (at least not without too much work, which is not worthed). Plus, bringing back the old interface will increase the size too much, will bring back the old problems related to that interface and will create new bugs. Don't get me wrong, I also liked the previous interface better then this one, but all we can do now is hope that the next version will have a new interface. ;)

Code size doesn't seem to be an issue, given the interface just involves simple dialog boxes.

Furthermore, it's not so much as introducing an alternative interface, as taking the training wheels off the current one. In "Classic" mode, double click on the system tray icon would bring up the advanced settings immediately (i.e., without going through the newbie-oriented security status page). The main code addition would be re-instating the support for right-clicking the status bar to enable or disable specific components (e.g., firewall). A workaround would be to introduce keyboard shortcuts (as now done for game mode).

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited December 2007
    In "Classic" mode, double click on the system tray icon would bring up the advanced settings immediately (i.e., without going through the newbie-oriented security status page).

You already can open the Advanced window from the Tray icon. Instead of double-clicking it, just right-click it and select Open advanced settings.

The main code addition would be re-instating the support for right-clicking the status bar to enable or disable specific components (e.g., firewall). A workaround would be to introduce keyboard shortcuts (as now done for game mode).

As I said, I will suggest that the controls in the pop-up menu should be added back.

BUT: the old interface can't be made. It's not a matter of code size. It's a matter of time. BD Team doesn't have time to deal with adding two different interfaces to the same product, first of all because they have many other things to do and many other problems to solve, and second of all because new files have to be created, and new methods of making them communicate with each other have to be developed. It's just too much work, for something really not that much important.

This is my opinion. If you still want to suggest it, be my guest. Remember that this is only a user forum. I'm just a simple user like you, so I don't have any direct connection with the DevTeam. You can make suggestions in the same I can: go to LiveAssistance and tell them. :)

Cris.

• I don't think BD 08 is slow at all. I have the Intenet Security package and have tested it using FRAPS with Crysis. There is no difference that I could see (not that it doesn't exist.....just that I couldn't measure it). And if you look at memory usage the footprint is small. I play Team Fortress 2 alot online and it runs great. I too am not crazy about the interface but I plan on purchasing this package after my trial is done.

• You already can open the Advanced window from the Tray icon. Instead of double-clicking it, just right-click it and select Open advanced settings.

Yes, and risk clicking Update Now by accident.

As I said, I will suggest that the controls in the pop-up menu should be added back.

BUT: the old interface can't be made. It's not a matter of code size. It's a matter of time. BD Team doesn't have time to deal with adding two different interfaces to the same product, first of all because they have many other things to do and many other problems to solve, and second of all because new files have to be created, and new methods of making them communicate with each other have to be developed. It's just too much work, for something really not that much important.

You are missing my point. I'm just arguing for adding in options to bypass the annoying newbie screens, much as there are options in many programs to bypass flash screens. The BD Team should consider the minimal time needed to do this as an investment in retaining a technical user base. This is something that is indeed important, as I am now considering using another security suite solution.

Thanks for your time, but please don't belittle my effort in trying to get BitDefender improved. I am in software development, so I do know the costs involved. I also know that when software developers have to use their own product, they put in ways to streamline the interface.

This is my opinion. If you still want to suggest it, be my guest. Remember that this is only a user forum. I'm just a simple user like you, so I don't have any direct connection with the DevTeam. You can make suggestions in the same I can: go to LiveAssistance and tell them. :)

Aren't you a BitDefender Evangelist? That makes you more than just a ordinary user of this forum.

I will make suggestion via e-mail. However, I do hope that BitDefender monitors this forum, as they promote it as one of their support venues.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited December 2007
    Yes, and risk clicking Update Now by accident.

Oh...and Updating your security solution it's an extremely bad thing :D

Now seriously... I always use this way (because, just like you, I don't want to pass through the Security Center if I don't have to) and I have NEVER clicked Update now by mistake... don't get me wrong, but the risk you are talking about applies, in theory, to all menus in Windows. And I really don't think that you avoid using menus, because you risk clicking on something else...or do you? :huh:

You are missing my point. I'm just arguing for adding in options to bypass the annoying newbie screens, much as there are options in many programs to bypass flash screens. The BD Team should consider the minimal time needed to do this as an investment in retaining a technical user base. This is something that is indeed important, as I am now considering using another security suite solution.

OK...sorry for miss-understanding you. So what you actually want is only a check-box somewhere, that will enable double-clicking on the tray icon to go directly to Advanced settings. Well...yes, that could be an idea.

BUT (yes, there's a but here, also): have you looked at the BitDefender Security Center? It has items that cannot be accessed from Advanced Settings. I'm talking about TuneUp and Backup.

Also, in all versions, the Security Center is the only place where you can access the Help file, My Account and other few links related to Registration and Support.

I guess this suggestion can be implemented easily... it will be useful only for BD AV and BD IS users, but it can be done easily. I'll make the suggestion tomorrow and see how it turns out. :)

Aren't you a BitDefender Evangelist? That makes you more than just a ordinary user of this forum.

Yes, I am. But that's only because of my experience I had with BitDefender (since v7) and the long experience with computers. Otherwise, I'm only a simple user and I'm not an employee of BitDefender. Actually, none of the BitDefender Evangelists work for BitDefender and we are only volunteers.

Please, try to understand that I have nothing with you, nor with your suggestions. I just miss-understood what you were trying to say (I understood that you wanted for the old interface to be added back, as an alternative to this one) and I was trying to explain to you that this was not possible.

Of course, we are always glad when users make suggestions to improve BitDefender. Believe me, I am constantly making different suggestions (many of them don't get implemented, but some do).

Cris.

• I'm a new BD user and wonder if the product is really functioning correctly. I've installed BD on a Dell Inspiron, dual intel proc, 1.25GB RAM and XP OS. What I notice, since installing the program is that my CPU (both processors) becomes saturated and memory is consumed (1GB) on a regular basis, which makes my machine extremely slow and unuseable. Task Manager does not indicate anything unusual as far as any process that could account for the massive use of resources. The performance window indicates the heavy CPU and RAM use and the solidly lit drive light indicates that the system is making continuous disk access. I sent a message to tech support about 2 weeks ago and have not heard anything back. Is this then considered "normal" operation?

This puts me in the "Disappointed" category and a bit wary as well. Makes me wonder if BD is the culprit or that BD has missed or awakened some nasty, i.e. rootkit, that is using my system as a zombie.

• Hello mannaman,

There has to be another explanation to your situation, because I have a similar configuration and my laptop runs as fast as it can:

Dell Inspiron 1501

AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56 Mobile Technoligy (1.8GHz)

2GB DDR

120GB HDD

BitDefender TotalSecurity 2008, all modules activated.

At startup, it takes less then a minute from the moment I push the button to full working state, considering I have more then 20 application at startup (+ a webserver application).

In idle state, BitDefender processes consume extremely low resources:

vsserv.exe - 1 to 4 MB in RAM

livesrv.exe - less then 1 MB

xcommsrv.exe - 256k

bdagent.exe - less then 2 MB

The moments when BitDefender might increase the CPU and memory usage to something really visible (because the usual less then 10MB in total I don't think counts that much, considering we are talking about more then 1GB or RAM) are the moments when BD makes an update. But that should happen at most once every hour.

To test that Updateing isn't the cause, disable BD Automatic Update and see if the problem still occurs.

If it does, the it means there's some other cause. Are you having some other security solutions installed (which ones)? Are you using a Realtime Defrag tool? Do you have any file indexing application, for faster search (like Google Desktop, or similar applications)?

Or do you have ANY other monitoring application?

What you experience has to be some incompatibility issue, not BD itself. Please post the answers to the above questions.

Cris.

• Oh...and Updating your security solution it's an extremely bad thing :D

True, but it does slow you down.

the risk you are talking about applies, in theory, to all menus in Windows. And I really don't think that you avoid using menus, because you risk clicking on something else...or do you? :huh:

But when a particular menu item is common, there are shortcuts. I think an analagous situation would be if users had to 'New Office Document > Blank Document' in order to invoke MSWord instead of invoking it directly.

BUT (yes, there's a but here, also): have you looked at the BitDefender Security Center? It has items that cannot be accessed from Advanced Settings. I'm talking about TuneUp and Backup.

Also, in all versions, the Security Center is the only place where you can access the Help file, My Account and other few links related to Registration and Support.

I just have ISS, so I don't see the TuneUp and Backup. The other items just seem to be shortcuts to BD web pages. I suppose there can always be a "reverse" link from the settings page back to the security page (as with "forward" [settings] link).

Please, try to understand that I have nothing with you, nor with your suggestions. I just miss-understood what you were trying to say

No problem and thanks for the prompt replies (likewise for Niels): much more expedient than regular BitDefender support.