Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How Do I Get A Refund?

Options
macoates
edited January 2013 in General

When Bitdefender fails to deliver and support have no solutions, I'm left with an unprotected computer. Why should I pay for this!? Does anyone know how to get a refund without enduring the eternal 'run around'?

Comments

• macoates
    edited January 2013
    Options

Here are the details

==============

In August 2012 I purchased Bitdefender 2013 Internet Security on the understanding it was the best AV internet security available.

In November Bitdefender allowed a virus into my computer.

There was no warning, no messages – nothing. Had it been a brand new virus, maybe I could understand, but it wasn’t. This virus had been around for a while. The sudden slow and erratic behaviour of my computer prompted me to think perhaps I needed more RAM. With Bitdefender taking care of security, it never occurred to me that my computer could possibly have been infected with a virus.

After the RAM upgrade, the problem escalated - Bitdefender failed to activate.

After numerous restarts, I tried to reinstall the software. Bitdefender still refused to activate. This was when I contacted Bitdefender support.

Support was unable to identify the problem, and I was emailed instructions on how to generate and send a diagnostic report. I was assured someone would get back to me within in 24-48 hours.

60 hours later I contact support. After some delving, it was confirmed that the diagnostic report had indeed been received, but in the meantime I was asked to explain the problem all again to the new person. Again, support had no idea what was wrong. The support person said he would make sure the previously submitted report would be given top priority – which meant no one had even looked at it yet. This was not the kind of response I expected.

[As a side note – I eventually did get a reply regarding that report. It arrived 2 weeks AFTER it was supposedly given top priority. Result – they couldn’t find anything that would prevent Bitdefender from loading and requested more information. I was NOT impressed!]

After that last call to support, I took matters into my own hands – I removed all traces of Bitdefender from my computer and installed Kaspersky 2013 Internet Security.

Kaspersky loaded and immediately identified the problem – a virus. Kaspersky eradicated the problem, and then provided directions on how to download a program to manually fix the rootkit.

I bought a service and support from Bitdefender - I got neither.

The service failed when a known and established virus was allowed into my computer. Support failed since after more than two weeks, it still could tell what was wrong. I asked for a refund. If Bitdefender can’t deliver what promised – why should I pay for it!?

The saga continues -

It would seem that Bitdefender does not like to issue refunds. It was patronisingly pointed out several times that the 30-trial period had clear expired – A polite way of saying, “we have your money, you’re out of luck!” I explained an equal number of times that my request had nothing to do with the trial period - but everything to do with getting what I paid for – service and support.

However I did receive an email from technical support. Here are the relevant extracts –

... I kindly inform you that, since the ####### key was purchased on the 1st of August 2012 and also activated on the 7th of August 2012, we

unfortunately do not have the option of refunding this order in our systems anymore ... …

... There is one more log that we can research to determine exactly what's causing the Bitdefender processes not to load. Therefore, we would kindly ask you to follow the steps mentioned in that email in order for you to download the autoruns file.

For this inconvenience, we would also like to inform you that we have extended your ####### license key with 3 more months and the new expiration date is the 16th of November 2014.

This was after, I had explained that the problem had been resolved by Kaspersky and it was pointless sending anymore reports. It was also after I had explained that Bitdefender was no longer on any of my computers and therefore any ‘courtesy’ extension was a futile gesture.

I have repeatedly asked to talk to someone in a management position, someone who would be in a position to see the bigger picture, have the best interests of the company in mind and the public relations skills to deal with this kind of situation in a quick and professional manner. Apparently there is no one in management, or if there is, no one at support level seems to be aware of their existence. I did at one time talk to a so called supervisor, but during the course of the conversation I suspected it was just another support person taking on the roll simply to appease me. He promised to do something – it was vague as to what he was going to do, but I never heard back.

I now have enough evidence in the form of emails and Facebook responses (or in the case of Facebook, lack of response), to arrive at the conclusion that Bitdefender’s philosophy in situations like this, is simply to embarked upon a campaign to give me the ‘eternal’ runaround - redirecting me from one person to another, each one asking for more details, even when all the information has been submitted countless times. I’m too old, too wise and too experienced not to know that this well established strategy (Sun Tzu’s ‘The Art of War’), is aimed at wearing me down until I give up and go away. This strategy cunningly incorporates all the ingredients of ‘plausible deniability’, where each action can be given the spin that Bitdefender is simply trying to be helpful. However, this tactic fell apart with the last email I received, which reads –

Thank you for contacting us.

In order to further assist you, first please be so kind and let us know which [sic] is your request.

Can you please give us more details regarding your inquiry?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

This was in response to an attached ---Original Message--- that clearly detailed exactly what the problem was and why I had requested a refund. All I could possibly provide was already attached in detail in the original email. So why did the sender want me to basically resend the original message when they already had it!?

I will continue to pursue this matter until someone at Bitdefender has the professionalism to stand up and be counted - issue an apology for its deliberate evasive tactics, and issue a TOTAL refund plus expenses incurred pursuing this matter.

The irony of all this is –

1. Since installing Kaspersky, my computer once again encountered that very same virus, but unlike Bitdefender, Kaspersky stopped it in its tracks.

Now that’s what I call service!!!

2. As a result of the clean-up of the original virus, the Kaspersky software was keeping un-necessary log files that were consuming huge amounts if disk space. I contacted Kaspersky support, and within a few hours received information on how to prevent these reports from being generated. Unfortunately it didn’t work. Through a series of emails back and forth, the problem was quickly rectified – ALL by the same person who saw the problem through from beginning to end.

Now that’s what I call support!!!

Michael

• After messaging the details listed here to Bitdefender on Facebook - I received this reply. How many times are they going to ask what I want, and how many times do I have to tell them. Here was Bitdefender's response -

Hello Michael, your feedback is very important to us and we really appreciate it.

Please tell us if you still need help. Are you going to keep Kaspersky or you wish to give another chance to our products?

Thank you!

Bitdefender has proven to be unreliable.

Bitdefender's support is probably the worst I have ever encountered.

I have removed Bitdefender from ALL 3 computers and I will never use it again.

I want a complete refund.

Can I make that any clearer?

I bet they will ask me again what I want...

• Good luck. BD is not known for their support and generally ignore issues they can't or do not wish to respond to...

• This company sound like a joke to me. Oh we'll reply within 24-48 hours. 96 hours later. Nothing!

• nw-bitdefender-logo.jpg

______________pigs.laughing_full.gif

• Awake BitDefender

pigs.laughing_full.gif

To BDTeam : Is it better?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hi Michael :)

I am sorry for the delay of our answer and I hope to assist you in a timely fashion from now on. I would like to take advantage of this opportunity to convey our apologies in regards to the situation created.

I have escalated your case to Customer Service and you will receive an answer soon.

Thank you!

• I just got a reply from someone on Facebook -

Hello Michael, the people who can help you with the refund are our colleagues from tech support. Unfortunately we cannot do more, we can only remind them about your situation.

I've lost count how many times I've been passed from tech support to customer support to sales support and back to tech support. BUT it seems no one can pass me to someone higher up in the organisation. I'm actually starting to feel embarrassed for this company.

• werby33
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hello,

This topic shows exactly the quality of BD support for the last 7 months.

Today, they banned me (as werby3, for one day) from this forum because they didn't like my sarcastic critic I made (I know...it's not the place...bla bla bla...brake the rules) just for laughing.

Consider, if users had the right to bann, who would be without a job now?

Anyway, even if you permanently banned me from this (for the last 7 months useless) forum, your unacceptable and ridiculous service will not be changed.

Sincerely Yours

P S : Please do not bann me again. Think of...my children :(

• Hello,

This topic shows exactly the quality of BD support for the last 7 months.

Today, they banned me (as werby3, for one day) from this forum because they didn't like my sarcastic critic I made (I know...it's not the place...bla bla bla...brake the rules) just for laughing.

Consider, if users had the right to bann, who would be without a job now?

Anyway, even if you permanently banned me from this (for the last 7 months useless) forum, your unacceptable and ridiculous service will not be changed.

Sincerely Yours

P S : Please do not bann me again. Think of...my children :(

• Hi Michael :)

I am sorry for the delay of our answer and I hope to assist you in a timely fashion from now on. I would like to take advantage of this opportunity to convey our apologies in regards to the situation created.

I have escalated your case to Customer Service and you will receive an answer soon.

Thank you!

Christian - with all due respect, I have had all the apologies I can handle. Apologies are not solutions.

I have been bounced around from from tech support to customer support to sales support so many times I have lost count. You say I will hear from some one soon. What is 'soon'? On Bitdefender's time scale, 24-48 hours is approximately 2 weeks AFTER I wake someone up!! So 'soon' means nothing. Why don't you pass me to someone in a management position, if such a person actually exists. I mention that only because, so far no one in any support capacity or department, seems to have any access or is even aware of anyone other than at their own level, which begs the question - does anyone actually manage and take responsibility for this company?

Michael

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Mike :)

Please check you Inbox and look for a reply over ticket 201212271017064.

One of my colleagues sent a confirmation email.

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.