Very Frustrating Problem With Bitdefender, Bandwidth Usage

Hi, i'm posting this here since i have no idea how to solve this problem. I have bitdefender since a month or so, and since then i'm having a very frustrating problem. When i look a flash video, on sites like youtube (and youtube itself) bitdefenders tells me that it's using bandwidth, and of course, that's normal. The problem is that when i close the page, or even close the browser, bandwidth is still MASSIVELY and CONSTANTLY used. Thinking some sort of malware was eating bandwidth, i did a low-level format of the hard drive and installed Windows 7 (before i had XP). SAME PROBLEM! So...just to be sure, i uninstalled bitdefender, and...guess what, the problem is gone! So it must be some kind of bug of bitdefender i think... i already opened a ticket with the support team, meanwhile i post this here to know if someone can give me some hint and to see if someone else got this problem.

Comments

• add: just to be more accurate, i tell you that the bandwidth is REALLY used, not only bitdefender tells me so. I can be sure because i have another computer connected to the network. After i am gone on a flash site on the first computer (the one which has bitdefener), the second one downloads very slowly. Now, if i turn off the first one, the second one speeds up downloads immediately. So, the bandwidth is really used. For what? Who knows...

• second add: strangely, this happens only if i use firefox as browser, if i use internet explorer, when i close the page, the bandwidth is regularly released. This happened both on old Windows XP and on Windows 7.

• Y3k
    Y3k
    edited October 2009

third add: i had bitdefender internet security 2009 on old Windows XP installation, on Windows 7 i put bitdefender internet security 2010. As i explained nothing has changed.

• Hello Y3k,

Just in testing purpose please try the steps bellow :

1. Open BitDefender, click on the Settings button, choose the Expert Mode then click on Ok.

2. Select the Firewall and temporarily uncheck "Firewall is enabled". Now please test in order to see if the same issue occurs.

3. If it doesn't reoccur please re-enable the Firewall, then select the Network tab in the upper menu and click on the current "Network Type", pull down the drop-down menu and select "Trusted Local", Stealth to "No" and Generic to "Yes".

4. If there are no changes after these steps, go to the Status tab, click on the "Advanced Settings" button and uncheck "Block Port scan" and click OK.

Let us know what happened.

Thank you .

• Exactly the same problem here! I have send a bug report to bitdefender! Please find a solution fast! I have to reset my router everytime i download a file! I love to use firefox and download with flash get! And also the solution above is not working! Please help me out! :(

• This is a really serious problem! A lot of people are experiencing this. Can other Bitdefender users tell if they are getting this also? Many people try to find what the root. They look at everything, but forget the bitdefender as they think it is that which is protecting them! Please tech guys help us out!

Nav

• I have the same issue with this product using IE 7....

If I watch a youtube clip and then go back to the main page...I get White Screened.

Even if I close out of the browser and try to access my homepage I get a spinning hourglass

on my address bar and the homepage never comes out.

I am forced to shut down and reboot to gain access to the Internet again......ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGG!!

• Unknown
    edited May 2010

@Naveesh,

@GregRod087:

The issue still present ? Can you please provide me with more details about it ?

- what OS (Operating System) are you using?

- what BitDefender product are you using?

- are you using a 32bits or 64bits computer?

- what version of Firefox Mozilla are you using?

- does the issue always replicates?

- does the issue also persist using another Internet explorer? (i.e. IE8)

- is the Antiphishing toolbar in the Internet browser enabled or disabled (grayed out) ?

- have you upgraded from the 2009 version to 2010? If yes, reproduce the steps you took to upgrade.

- please tell me the Build and the engine version of BitDefender

Please note:

- To find out the build version right click on the BitDefender tray icon (next to your computer's clock) and select About

- To find out the engine version open BitDefender -> Click on Settings button -> Switch it to Expert Mode -> Update tab

Thank you, looking forward to your answer!

• Yes, i had done a reporting to the support section. They told me to unistall and reinstall the latest version. Which i did yesterday but still the same problem. Ok yes.

(Same problem with my laptop Vista 32 bit)

Bitdefender Version: 2010 version 13.2.1

(Same problem with 2009)

Using 64 Bit OS

Mozilla Firefox: 3.6.3 and 3.5.9 in laptop

Yes it always replicates.

No Internet Explorer works fine(IE8). The streaming stops as soon as i close the browser.

It is not grey out. It is Red.

In my previous windows i had done an update.

Unistall the first and download the new one and install

In my current window(which i just formatted i installed Bitdefender 2010 directly)

Bitdefender Version : 7.31647 ( is this the engine version? If not let me know how to get it)

If you need any more information let me know. Flashget also is getting this problem. If i start a download and do a pause or close it, it continues to do the download. If i go to the firewall and reset all rules, i will get a pop up telling me that the application is requesting the file(which i stopped downloading). And this uses my bandwidth to its maximum.

Thank you a lot!!!

Regards,

Naveesh

Doolhur

@Naveesh,

@GregRod087:

The issue still present ? Can you please provide me with more details about it ?

- what OS (Operating System) are you using?

- what BitDefender product are you using?

- are you using a 32bits or 64bits computer?

- what version of Firefox Mozilla are you using?

- does the issue always replicates?

- does the issue also persist using another Internet explorer? (i.e. IE8)

- is the Antiphishing toolbar in the Internet browser enabled or disabled (grayed out) ?

- have you upgraded from the 2009 version to 2010? If yes, reproduce the steps you took to upgrade.

- please tell me the Build and the engine version of BitDefender

Please note:

- To find out the build version right click on the BitDefender tray icon (next to your computer's clock) and select About

- To find out the engine version open BitDefender -> Click on Settings button -> Switch it to Expert Mode -> Update tab

Thank you, looking forward to your answer!

• Hi Naveesh,

Please open BitDefender and switch it to Expert Mode from the Settings button. Then go to the Update tab and tell me the Engine Version under Antimalware engine properties.

Also go to Registration tab (the last tab on the left hand) and tell me the Version of the software. It should be 13.0.21

Looking forward to your answer!

Regards,

• I have just uninstalled Bitdefender Internet security. I am trying to install Bitdefender Antivirus to see if it is the firewall the problem or its in built in bitdefender.

In my laptop it is :

Antimalware Engine: 7.31647

Version: 13.0.20

Ya in my computer it was 13.0.21.

Regards,

Naveesh

Hi Naveesh,

Please open BitDefender and switch it to Expert Mode from the Settings button. Then go to the Update tab and tell me the Engine Version under Antimalware engine properties.

Also go to Registration tab (the last tab on the left hand) and tell me the Version of the software. It should be 13.0.21

Looking forward to your answer!

Regards,

• Yesterday i tried Chrome and Safari! They experience the same problem but not IE8.

Regards,

Naveesh

I have just uninstalled Bitdefender Internet security. I am trying to install Bitdefender Antivirus to see if it is the firewall the problem or its in built in bitdefender.

In my laptop it is :

Antimalware Engine: 7.31647

Version: 13.0.20

Ya in my computer it was 13.0.21.

Regards,

Naveesh

• Naveesh I would recommend you to continue troubleshooting via email as I will require few log files from you for a better understanding of the situation.

Check your email associated with the forum account, follow the steps and send back as a reply the requested log files.

Thank you and a great weekend !

• yes i have that problem to... bitdefender eating my bandwidth.. :unsure: :unsure:

i using BD ver 13.0.20

OS Win 7 - Firefox 3.6.8 - and IDM

please help meeee :(:(:(

• :-(.. yep its a very big problem! I have tried everything! I have passed lot of time troubleshooting with BitDefender. I have even subscribed to the Bit Defender 2011 Beta tester and told them about the prob! But still no answer from them and still the same problem! Really disappointing! I love bit defender, but i can't use it because of this problem! Please fix this Bit Defender! This is the biggest problem at the core of your system.

Regards,

Naveesh

• Hi IJO,

Our latest build is 13.0.21 therefore please try to update BitDefender by right click on the icon in the System tray and select 'Update Now'. If any issues occur with the update process please let me know.

@Naveesh: what is the current situation with the bandwidth ? How can you tell it's BitDefender causing the issue ? Do you have BitDefender up to date ?

Regards,

• Yes still the same problem! I have installed the latest BitDefender 2011 beta and also the BitDefender 2010 latest version! All the same problem! I can say this because, as soon as i remove bitdefender it is totally fine! Ermm if this may help: I was downloading something from flashget, and it was taking all my bandwidth but the actual download speed was really slow. At the same time i was installing, and saw that as soon as it removed the antivirus, the connection became normal! Maybe its the antivirus!

Regards,

Naveesh

Doolhur

Hi IJO,

Our latest build is 13.0.21 therefore please try to update BitDefender by right click on the icon in the System tray and select 'Update Now'. If any issues occur with the update process please let me know.

@Naveesh: what is the current situation with the bandwidth ? How can you tell it's BitDefender causing the issue ? Do you have BitDefender up to date ?

Regards,

• Hello,

Follow the steps below having BitDefender installed and let me know if the issue persist:

1. Double click on the BitDefender's icon to open the Security Center.

2. Go to "Settings" - > choose "Expert Mode".

3. Go to 'Antivirus' tab.

4. Click on 'Custom Level' button

5. Uncheck the following boxes:

- scan http traffic

- scan Yahoo Messenger traffic

- scan Windows Live Messenger traffic

6. Close BitDefender and test to see if the issue still persist.

If you are using any network shares I would recommend you to disable the 'Scan network shares' from Antivirus -> Custom Level button to reduce the bandwidth usage.

Please let me know if the issue has been resolved.

Regards,

• This has happened to me as well

ever since i have installed Bit Defender i have been going over my bandwidth usage by amounts like 20gb!

I have a limit of 10gb and if i go over i have to pay extra

This month i had to pay £60 extra!

I have BitDefender Total Secuirity 2010! Please help as i have uninstalled BitDefender for the mean time!

• @DanyDan: I am currently a bit busy. As soon as i get time will try it and let you know. I have currently uninstalled it!

Can any one try what DanyDan said and see if the solution works?

Let us know here!

Thank you everyone!

Nav

• Nav the 2011 will be release very soon. If you have uninstall it then I do suggest you to run a registry cleaner, remove all traces of BitDefender 2010 then install the 2011. The issue should not reproduce with the new version.

Best regards,

• Hello everyone

Im having the same problem here, Internet Security 2010 with latest updates.

I read this thread several weeks ago and i can see that there isn't any progress regarding this question.

My system specs are:

Win7 32-bit

Opera, Firefox, Google chrome...

Problem happens when we try to play a video clip from youtube for example and stop it or play another one while the first one is still loading. It doesnt stop loading the first one, that's why our bandwidth is used, i can tell because i have a bandwidth meter.

And one more thing, BitDefender Network Activity isn't showing a thing, and i can also see that my free space on c: drive is changing (video clip temp file).

Please fix this.

@DanyDan

Still same problem.

• :rolleyes: Hi I also had the same problem and found a solution from within this forum. It works great. The issue is actually the combination of BDTS 2010 and Flash. The following is the solution I read:

1)restart in safe mode

2)open run and type regedit

3)go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BitDefender

4)righ click in the right window and chose new--->multi-string value

5)give it the name HttpAppSkip

6)write in it the path of your idm and all of your brosers like:

C:\Users\MohAMed\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Netscape\Navigator 9\navigator.exe

7)save it and restart computer

• :rolleyes: Hi I also had the same problem and found a solution from within this forum. It works great. The issue is actually the combination of BDTS 2010 and Flash. The following is the solution I read:

1)restart in safe mode

2)open run and type regedit

3)go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BitDefender

4)righ click in the right window and chose new--->multi-string value

5)give it the name HttpAppSkip

6)write in it the path of your idm and all of your brosers like:

C:\Users\MohAMed\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Netscape\Navigator 9\navigator.exe

7)save it and restart computer

Thanks......i have been searching for the solution to this problem from long time.........thank yu again... finally i cn use my fav antivirus...

• @marauder - Since you are using BD 2011, I have moved your post to it's own topic in the 2011 forum, HERE.

Regards,

• @Hi I also had the same problem and found a solution from within this forum. It works great. The issue is actually the combination of BDTS 2010 and Flash. The following is the solution I read........

Although if it works, it would be better to have separate user manageable "Whitelist" of applications for doing so in Bitdefender.

• problem is in bitdefender windows service even if you disable antivirus or other BD product protection. To prove the theorem when you downloading any item from popular Download Manager (IDM, Orbit , ....) in any time download speed decrease to zero or occur error. in this time run Bitdefender Weekly Update and let update your antivirus. when BD service is disabled, download manager start downloading normally but after weekly update done the BD bandwidth problem Be repeated. In the latest version of the BD(14.0.24.337) problem still exists.

• so what the exact solution to this problem!?!????

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013

Hello :)

This is an old topic from 2009. For newer products, please post on the dedicated area:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=293

Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.