[escalated] Search Advisor Not Working

For some reason, as of yesterday, the IS 2013 search advisor stopped working in Google. It works in Yahoo and Bing, but nothing shows up in Google, not even the little black tab for the toolbar.

Did Google break it again?

This is IS 2013, Ver 1682.

Comments

• Bleh. Forgot to mention this is on Firefox 17.

• Update to 1684 did not solve this issue by the way.

• minihaha
    edited December 2012

I purchased Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 just a few days ago. I installed it on my desktop computer and everything works great!!

Then I installed it on my laptop and the Search Advisor does not work - meaning, when I do a search on Google, I don't see any green circles with the checkmarks next to the search results.

I have tried in Internet Explorer 9.0 and Firefox 16. Then I upgraded to Firefox 17 and it still doesn't work. In both browsers I have tried the Google search engine, Bing, and Yahoo and the Search Advisor doesn't work in any of them.

My laptop is running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 Bit.

I looked on these forums and found some instructions that I followed to try to fix the issue. Here is what I did:

~ From the BitDefender website I downloaded their uninstall tool then ran it as an administrator and unistalled Bitdefender.

~ Then I rebooted.

~ Then I downloaded CCleaner from Piriform.com and cleaned the registry. I rebooted then ran it once more. Then rebooted and ran it again with no registry issues.

~ Using the link that was sent to my email after purchasing the software, I downloaded a new copy of the Bitdefender installataion exe and re-installed the software. Then rebooted.

Search Advisor is still not working in either of the browsers using any of the aforementioned Search Engines.

I have gone into Bitdefenders Privacy Control module and I have verified that Search Advisor is turned on. Everything on that module is on except for Bitdefender Toolbar.

Also, one more thing... on my desktop (where Bitdefender is working just fine)... I did a search and found a link with the red circle next to it. So I did the same search on the laptop, found the same link and clicked on it. I thought maybe since it came back as a "dangerous" website on my desktop, that perhaps on my laptop Bitdefender would at least block me for accessing the page and give me a warning page. But nope, it let me through - so truly, it's not working at all.

Is there anyone here that could please help me figure this out? I have been at this for several hours now and I'm really frustrated.

Thank you!!

• Does tech support not check the forums?

• Actually, if you go to www.google.com, it works. It does NOT work if you run a google search through the firefox search bar.

• same problem here I also cannot see any green circles and also I cannot see the toolbar. This problem exists from the day I installed bitdefender i.e on Jan 24 and I installed it using the online installer downloaded here

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/internet-security.html

there in left I clicked on try it free and downloaded online installer and installed so no custom installers used.

Please help BitDefender :(

• ok now I got to see the toolbar of bitdefender suddenly in the browser but only in one tab and in other tabs, webpages or even in single without any tab it doesn't show.

Also the search advisor is turned on but not showing any green circles still so this is becoming very unpleasant now. Please fix this Bitdefender as I'm now sure its a very fatal bug and not problems caused by users.

• Please confirm that you have Scan SSL, turned on in Privacy/Settings.

• whizkidraj
    edited February 2013

the toolbar does show sometime and same the search advisor also show green circles but only like 5 percent out of 100. Rest of the times it doesn't show. And I use Mozilla latest version, Google chrome latest dev version and IE10 with windows latest updates installed so this should not be the problem.

• ok now the toolbar shows up but the search advisor still not working :(. It does work sometimes in google chrome latest dev version but only sometimes and in mozilla and IE10 it doesn't shows any green circles not even one time. So please patch it BitDefender

• Just installed BD Internet security on my laptop / Win 7 Home Premium.

Same problem here for Firefox v19.0....Search advisor not working. Works on I.E. Explorer. Settings correct as mentioned above.

• Tried a complete fresh uninstall using the specific removal tool (even re-ran the 2012 removal tool for good measure)...rebooted,...ran Ccleaner as well,....rebooted,....installed,....still no search advisor green ticks on Google search using Firefox v19.0. still working on I.E.

Any ideas. I'm tired of uninstalling and cleaning :(

• Hello ,

First of All , My first language isn't English so I'm sorry.

I downloaded Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 Trial Version and I'm going to buy full version , however ; Search Advisor doesn't work for google search , it works bing search and yahoo search buy as I said it doesn't work for google search , I try that chrome , mozilla and IE the situation is the same.

• Any suggestions Tech support?

There seems to be a lot of readers in this thread......is it wide-spread???

Is anyone looking into the issue please?

Thanks.

• Actually, if you go to www.google.com, it works. It does NOT work if you run a google search through the firefox search bar.

I can't get it to work in google.com either. I'm using Firefox 19.0.2 (was 19.0.0 until today - o difference).

Works fine on I.E. whether it's google.com / or .co.uk.

Don't seem to be getting much feedback from Tech support on this, on any of the threads mentioning Search Advisor not showing.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello everyone and thank you for reporting this issue.

@ boothy99

@ whizkidraj

Have you contacted us via email? I have checked the email address used for this forum account and I couldn't find a ticket in the system.

@ minihaha

I found your ticket ID 201212011001541 in the system. You will receive an answer soon via e-mail.

Thank you!

• Hello everyone and thank you for reporting this issue.

@ boothy99

@ whizkidraj

Have you contacted us via email? I have checked the email address used for this forum account and I couldn't find a ticket in the system.

@ minihaha

I found your ticket ID 201212011001541 in the system. You will receive an answer soon via e-mail.

Thank you!

Thanks for getting back to us Georgia. I'd not emailed but I will now.

Is this a known issue? It seems to be occurring on a number of occasions.

Cheers.

• boothy99
    edited March 2013

Hi again Georgia,

I've just used the BD support tool to generate and send a report, whilst reproducing the ''fault'' on Firefox.

The reference number assigned to the e-mail is 201303121019141

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Dave.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello boothy99,

I found your ticket in the system and I will assist you further via that e-mail.

Thank you :)

• Hello boothy99,

I found your ticket in the system and I will assist you further via that e-mail.

Thank you :)

Thanks Georgia. I'll look out for your email.

Cheers.

Dave.

• same problem with Search Advisor!

for a month waiting your answer Georgia!

Cristian said in Ro forum as you, after testing, everything works perfectly!

You have more users archives! I've found the cause?

Windows 11 Pro - 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900KF @3,50 GHz, 128.0 GB RAM

• Thanks Georgia. I'll look out for your email.

Cheers.

Dave.

Thanks Georgia, for getting this fixed. Much appreciated.

For anyone reading this, Georgia sorted it after I sent in a Report Tool log, via BD. After a clean uninstall and reinstall, all is working perfectly :-)

Had to remove Parental Control from Microsoft Security Essentials, as they were incompatible. Could be other reasons on other PC's though.

• Congratulations boothy99!

For me, you can find any solution?

Georgia, you've promised to come back with an answer! How long should I wait?

• boothy99
    edited March 2013
    Thanks Georgia, for getting this fixed. Much appreciated.

For anyone reading this, Georgia sorted it after I sent in a Report Tool log, via BD. After a clean uninstall and reinstall, all is working perfectly :-)

Had to remove Parental Control from Microsoft Security Essentials, as they were incompatible. Could be other reasons on other PC's though.

I meant "Windows Live Family Safety", not "Parental Control".

• It's strange because this feature work fine for me. Try to reinstall.

• Hi again Georgia,

I've just used the BD support tool to generate and send a report, whilst reproducing the ''fault'' on Firefox.

The reference number assigned to the e-mail is 201303121019141

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Dave.

Hi Everyone,

I noticed that the BD toolbar and the search adviser work only on pages/sites where scripts are permitted. In Firefox 20 (Win7, 64 bit) with NoScripts AddOn, when I permit scripts for the site/page the toolbar tab appears. If I permit scripts with a search result page the search adviser indicators appear beside the search results. If I remove a site from the NoScripts WhiteList, the toolbar and search advisor stop working.

Maybe something similar is going on with scripts permissions in some of your situations.

Want2Know

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello,

@ Gini™: last time I checked your case my colleagues found an incompatible software. Please let me know how is everything going now.

@ Want2Know: you are right, because Bitdefender toolbar needs to inject first in the ****** of a webpage in order to work. Thanks for posting.

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭
    edited April 2013

Checking links, Google search does not work.

post-39675-1367079707_thumb.png

post-39675-1367079876_thumb.png

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭
    Checking links, Google search does not work.

Kaspersky seems to be having the same problem at the moment so perhaps it is a google or Microsoft problem.

• Bing search, link checking works, it shows in my attachment, Google may have problems.

• @ Rampant:

Please, tell me do you have installed IDM (Internet Download Manager) in your PC?

Georgia told me, in the section of the Romanian language, the problem is caused by IDM.

• No, I don't have installed IDM.

• Confirmed on my end too, Bing has the icons, Goggle just has them in "add boxes" (Bitdefender can find those misc. links) of IE, but not in FF 20.

post-4566-1367189924_thumb.png

• Kaspersky seems to be having the same problem at the moment so perhaps it is a google or Microsoft problem.

I think you're on to something, ozziebear, as another forum with a blue F in their name ;), is having the same issue with Google.

• No, I don't have installed IDM.

Thanks Rampant! I will contact Georgia!

• Columbo, thanks for your investigations into this bug

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭

The problem has been fixed with the latest update, reboot the system, bitdefender offers no reboot.

• Math_Matei
    edited May 2013

to me the situation is unchanged!

search-advisor does not work on Google!

Works only on Bing, but my favorite engine is Google!

post-24553-1367505555_thumb.png

post-24553-1367505632_thumb.png

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭
    edited May 2013

I've got it working after a system reboot.

post-39675-1367513478_thumb.png

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭
    I've got it working after a system reboot.

Yes mine is working again also.

• Math_Matei
    edited May 2013

I'm glad to know that there are honest people happy, that search advisors working properly!

I make one of those unhappy. <_<

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Thank you for your feedback.

Although this issue has been tested and a fix was released for it yesterday (announcement available here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...t&p=184686), it seems that on some systems it still persists.

We are re-opening the case with the development team. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience.

• my search advisory is not working on www.google.com but it works in yahoo.com. the problem is i always use google i hope you can resolve this problem

• here's mine. no search web advisory. its on but its not working searchad_zpse4051a6e.png

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited May 2013

Hello,

I can see that you are using Bitdefender 2012 and for now, no fix was released for this version.

The issue is resolved on Bitdefender 2013, so please upgrade for Free:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=241&id=42

Let me know if everything is running smooth after.

Thank you!

edited May 2013
    The issue is resolved on Bitdefender 2013

The issue persists in the german version of Bitdefender 2013. Tested today with google.com and goggle.de on Firefox 17.0.5 and Internet Explorer 10.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=184432

• Hello,

I have the French version of Bitdefender Antivirus Plus and I did not received yet the new product: 16.29.00.1830. Is it normal?

• I am using the English version of Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 and can also add that Google search is not working in IE10 or Firefox 20.0.1.

Yahoo and Bing searches do work in IE10 and Firefox, but not Google searches. Also, Google search DOES work in Google Chrome but not in the others (Firefox 20.0.1 and IE10)

• New BD W8 user here.

Same problem. Latest version of BD installed.

Just thought I'd chime in that it's not fixed. -_-