Full Scan

Is there any way to start a full scan manually? It scanned once automatically and I would like to be able to run it when I want it.

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013

Hello Jim :)

Please open (My) Computer and right click on the system partition. Choose from the shell menu to scan with Bitdefender Antivirus Free.

We are working hard to improve this new product, I will also consider this a feature request for a Full Scan profile in the main interface.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care.

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited March 2013
    Hello Jim :)

Please open (My) Computer and right click on the system partition. Choose from the shell menu to scan with Bitdefender Antivirus Free.

We are working hard to improve this new product, I will also consider this a feature request for a Full Scan profile in the main interface.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care.

Just wanted to add. An On-Demand Full System Scan can be accomplished thusly:

1. Click on Computer

2. Right click on a logical drive

3. Left click the Bitdefender icon

That will begin a scan of that logical drive

Repeat the process for each logical drive on the computer. Each successive drive added will be put in que behind the first logical drive you added. When the first logical drive scan is complete BD AV Free will proceed to scan the next logical drive that was in the que. This will be repeated until all logical drives on your system have been scanned. Thus you will have completed an On-Demand Full System Scan.

To repeat that On-Demand scan of your full system you need to clear all the privious logical drive On-Demand scans entered. You can do this by clicking on the Scanner and then Clear for each logical drive. Then repeat the process mentioned above. Of course it is not optimal but since BD AV Free does do a Auto Full System Scan one should not have to run an On-Demand Full System Scan that often.

If there are any errors in what I posted please correct. Thanks

'

• Just wanted to add. An On-Demand Full System Scan can be accomplished thusly:

1. Click on Computer

2. Right click on a logical drive

3. Left click the Bitdefender icon

That will begin a scan of that logical drive

Repeat the process for each logical drive on the computer. Each successive drive added will be put in que behind the first logical drive you added. When the first logical drive scan is complete BD AV Free will proceed to scan the next logical drive that was in the que. This will be repeated until all logical drives on your system have been scanned. Thus you will have completed an On-Demand Full System Scan.

To repeat that On-Demand scan of your full system you need to clear all the privious logical drive On-Demand scans entered. You can do this by clicking on the Scanner and then Clear for each logical drive. Then repeat the process mentioned above. Of course it is not optimal but since BD AV Free does do a Auto Full System Scan one should not have to run an On-Demand Full System Scan that often.

If there are any errors in what I posted please correct. Thanks

'

There is one advantage to doing a On-Demand Full System Scan this way vs say running one in BD W8 Security. In BD W8 Security all unscanned files, many due to password protection, are listed in one log. Whereas with BD AV Free unscanned files are listed for each scan; i.e. logical drive. This makes it a lot easier to determine where the unscanned files are if you have a large number of them; i.e. for example over 100. In my case my System Drive came up 100% clean with all files scanned. This of course is the most important logical drive you want to have all the files scanned in and hopefully show up clean. Two of my other four logical drives had some unscanned files. Knowing what type of files on I put on each logical drive I was able to quickly go through the unscanned lists without worrying about whether there were any usncanned files on my System Drive.

Looking at the logs by logical drive is a lot easier and better than having one log covering all your files on all your logical drives.

• Thanks for the responses. I have discovered how to right click on a Drive and select Scan With Bitfinder. I get an On Demand task. Is that the same as a Full Scan? I get about a third of my files as password protected and they don't scan. Is there some way around that?

• Hi,

First of all...I wanted to express that I feel like the bit defender software is a great product ! I wanted to make a comment about what user J Walker1 mentioned, I've also tried to perform a 'On Demand' type on my primary drive (C:). I right clicked on that drive, and then chose the 'scan with bit defender option', it was added as a 'task', but after that no additional information was displayed. As a user..one would think some kind of a notification would be shown as to the action was being performed.

Thanks,

David :mellow:

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited March 2013
    Hi,

First of all...I wanted to express that I feel like the bit defender software is a great product ! I wanted to make a comment about what user J Walker1 mentioned, I've also tried to perform a 'On Demand' type on my primary drive (C:). I right clicked on that drive, and then chose the 'scan with bit defender option', it was added as a 'task', but after that no additional information was displayed. As a user..one would think some kind of a notification would be shown as to the action was being performed.

Thanks,

David :mellow:

You need to click on the "On-Demand" scan to see the overall progress of the scan. It doesn't show any files but I have never understood why a person needs to see the files being scanned at the moment they are being scanned unless some scanned files requires immediate action by the user.

In fact on faster computers the average person can't even read the files being scanned. Even if they could, what would they do with that information in the middle of a scan?.

Others may feel different. Fair enough

• Thanks for the responses. I have discovered how to right click on a Drive and select Scan With Bitfinder. I get an On Demand task. Is that the same as a Full Scan? I get about a third of my files as password protected and they don't scan. Is there some way around that?

My experience is that password protected files tend to cluster in specific programs. For example I have one utility I use that contains probably 50 plus password protected files in the installer file.

The reason I mention this is this. Idenfity the folders that contain the password protected files. Then try a contextual scan of those folders or files themselves if necessary. I don't know if you can go to the top a directory path up to the parent folder and use a contextual scan successfully. Obviously if the password protected files are clustered in an installed program it would be easiset and quickest to do a contextual scan of the parent folder.

• Is there any way to trigger a full scan from a command line (.bat ******)?

thanks

/j

• Is there any way to trigger a full scan from a command line (.bat ******)?

thanks

/j

I don't think so unless you reprogram it.