Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Error Since Vista Sp1 Upgrade

Options

I have BitDefender v8.0 installed on my Vista machine. BitDefender = great, BTW.

Since upgrading Vista to SP1 RC1, there is an error when logging on that involves bdfdll.sys. Windows says that this is an incompatible driver and won't load it. Is this file essential to the operation of BitDefender? The error message didn't appear after I renamed the file, but I would like to take care of the issue more cleanly by stopping the proper service if it won't interfere with the operation of BitDefender. To what Service does bdfdll.sys pertain? Thanks

Comments

• I have BitDefender v8.0 installed on my Vista machine. BitDefender = great, BTW.

Since upgrading Vista to SP1 RC1, there is an error when logging on that involves bdfdll.sys. Windows says that this is an incompatible driver and won't load it. Is this file essential to the operation of BitDefender? The error message didn't appear after I renamed the file, but I would like to take care of the issue more cleanly by stopping the proper service if it won't interfere with the operation of BitDefender. To what Service does bdfdll.sys pertain? Thanks

Correction: I have version 10.

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello dprozzo,

If I'm not mistaking, that driver belongs to BitDefender's firewall module.

Please upgrade to BitDefender 2008, because it has better Vista support. Upgrading is free for the remaining license period.

Cris.

• Hello dprozzo,

If I'm not mistaking, that driver belongs to BitDefender's firewall module.

Please upgrade to BitDefender 2008, because it has better Vista support. Upgrading is free for the remaining license period.

Cris.

I have a similar problem. i upgraded from XP to Vista ultimate, and reinstaled BD TS 2008. it worked fine, but then i restarted my computer. i now have the exact same problem

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello sanderlebau,

I kinda find it hard to believe you get the same error, because BD2008 doesn't have this file.

Anyway, I suggest you to contact LiveAssistance (Technical Support) and tell them about this problem.

Cris.

• dprozzo,

If I'm not mistaken, Vista's service pack (sp1) is still in beta and only recently went public. BD v.10 was dreadful on Vista and I would suspect even worse with sp1 in beta. I doubt that even tech support would be able to help.

• Lojiko
    Options
    I have BitDefender v8.0 installed on my Vista machine. BitDefender = great, BTW.

I had the same problem when I upgraded to Vista SP1. The solution is quite simple.

1. Find your BitDefender program folder. It should be in the "Program Files" folder on your main drive.

2. Open that folder and scroll down until you find the file named "bdfdll.sys".

3. Rename the file "bdfdll.sys.old"

4. Restart your PC and you should not have that error message come up anymore. You might be able to delete that file altogether, but I didn't want to take that chance. By renaming it, you can keep it just in case.

Let me know if that works for you too! :)

• Hey I just happent to locate this old topic and I have to say Im experiencing this problem, how do I upgrade to BitDefender 2008? Iv got Bitdefender Internet Security v10 and I dont know how to upgrade to Bitdefender 2008, can you help me? or can you atleast direct me to a place where it will explain how I do it?

• Niels
    Options

Hello Wargummi,

First you need to uninstall your older BitDefender version:

1) Download this BitDefender uninstall tool.

2) Download BitDefender Internet Security 2008 installer package here. You have to click on the folder of your country or language. You will see bitdefender_internetsecurity_2008_32b.exe Left click on it to download the installer package. You can download the guide also it's a pdf file.

3) Now right click on the red BitDefender icon near the system tray. Press on exit.

4) Now double click on the BitDefender uninstall tool that you just have downloaded and run it. You will be asked to reboot your computer do this.

5) Double click on the installer package of BitDefender Internet Security 2008. During the installation procedure use your old license key that you used for BitDefender Internet Security 10. This will only work if you have still remaining days otherwise you need to purchase a new license key.

Kind regards,

Niels