[escalated] Live Tiles

I am looking to purchase bitdefender TS 2013 but before purchasing I though I had better try it out.Now Bitdefender isnt slowing my system or anything but it makes my live tiles in windows 8 64bit stop updating.Disabling the firewall manually makes the live tiles update again on the start screen.Is there a solution to this problem?Thanks

Comments

• Hello :)

Welcome to the forums.

Please right click on BitDefender icon from system tray(the "B" icon) and choose "Show". In the main window, click on "Settings". From the advanced interface, click on Firewall.

Now, click on General rules and set them all to Allow.

Close the window and reboot.

Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a great day!

• egold70
    edited November 2012

Hello, I use Bitdefender for several years and recently bought BDTS 2013 for my new laptop and for Windows 8 pro x64.

Installed it shortly after clean Windows install and almost immediately noticed problems with live tiles content not being displayed in the modern UI, especially and mostly the Weather app live tile not showing any content and not updating the lock screen with the weather info.

Consulted Windows 8 support forums and after trying everything else uninstalled Bitdefender and all the apps in the modern UI returned to normal function.

Another detail: when tried to uninstall the Weather app and then reinstall it again with BD installed it caused the "turn live tile on/off" function of the modern UI for that app to disappear! Without BD this returned also to normal.

I contacted BD technical support with that question(Ticket ID:201211071026192) and received response asking to perform uninstall for Windows crashes?!

Anyway tried another uninstall and checked that the files mentioned for that thread are removed and than installed the latest BDTS kit from the link provided. Nothing changed with the latest version and the problem persisted.

Than by exclusion I figured out that the firewall is the one that blocks the live tile updating. The adapter settings are as explained here in the forum and as of now with firewall on the Weather tile is "empty" and with firewall off all work OK.

I`m not sure if there is an option of creating rules for modern apps at all.

Just to make things clear when opening the app itself the info within is updated so there is no issue with the internet traffic but with the firewall blocking the transfer of the Weather info to the live tile and to the lock screen.

Any assistance would be highly appreciated

• Hello, I use Bitdefender for several years and recently bought BDTS 2013 for my new laptop and for Windows 8 pro x64.

Installed it shortly after clean Windows install and almost immediately noticed problems with live tiles content not being displayed in the modern UI, especially and mostly the Weather app live tile not showing any content and not updating the lock screen with the weather info.

Consulted Windows 8 support forums and after trying everything else uninstalled Bitdefender and all the apps in the modern UI returned to normal function.

Another detail: when tried to uninstall the Weather app and then reinstall it again with BD installed it caused the "turn live tile on/off" function of the modern UI for that app to disappear! Without BD this returned also to normal.

I contacted BD technical support with that question(Ticket ID:201211071026192) and received response asking to perform uninstall for Windows crashes?!

Anyway tried another uninstall and checked that the files mentioned for that thread are removed and than installed the latest BDTS kit from the link provided. Nothing changed with the latest version and the problem persisted.

Than by exclusion I figured out that the firewall is the one that blocks the live tile updating. The adapter settings are as explained here in the forum and as of now with firewall on the Weather tile is "empty" and with firewall off all work OK.

I`m not sure if there is an option of creating rules for modern apps at all.

Just to make things clear when opening the app itself the info within is updated so there is no issue with the internet traffic but with the firewall blocking the transfer of the Weather info to the live tile and to the lock screen.

Any assistance would be highly appreciated

I have the same problem. What I did to fix it was to go to firewall settings -> general rules -> "Allow Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP". Then reinstall weather app, and restart computer. Hopefully, the weather app will now display temperature on the tile instead of just a big sun.

• Yes, that fixed the problem!

Thanks a lot for sharing your personal experience

I`ve been waiting for tech support but they are obviously unable to read my mails properly and continue asking to perform actions not related to the issue at all

• werby3
    edited November 2012
    ... "Allow Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP". ...

Hi,

Is it safe enough?

As far I know, some apps (or malware) connect to internet through WExplorer.

So, if "Allow Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP", user is not able to know about it.

Regards!

• I would expect response from the support team answering that question

So far nothing from them

I do not believe we are the only people using BD firewall on Win 8 and there must be some solution or at least response if the solution suggested is safe enough

• Hello :)

Do you have the latest build installed on that system?

Your build should be 16.24.0.1682(please right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

Changelog:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=164968

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35499

Have a nice day.

• Hello

Yes, I have the latest build as always, was it supposed to change something in regards the abovementioned problem?

• Windows 8 Security (latest update) - tiles also don't work. On Internet Security 2013 I also have this issue. Only allowing Windows Explorer traffic on http helped.

I also noticed that Action Center couldn't connect to the internet to show me problem with drivers.

Win 8 Pro (x64)

• Windows 8 Tiles still are not working properly. What about some fix for that? ;)

• I have same problem live tiles are off or not showing that they are on, any fixes pls

• Hi any fixes for this yet pls. Thks

• Hi again any fixes on this I noticed weather app still not going live.THks

• Any news on the live tiles thing? Thks

• Windows 8 Weather tile and some other tiles have disabled live update function if "Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP" is set to denied. Please fix this.

• Any news on this ?

• Any news on this ?

Hey, i got the same problem with the BD firewall. On top my messenger live app doesn't connect to the server as long as the BD firewall is activated.

I tried to change the firewall option/rules e.g. allow http, etc... I paid for this tool, i don't wanna uninstall it! I decided to deactivate the BD firewall and replace it with the windows firewall. After a restart my laptop works fine again. BUT after every restart the BD firewall is turned on again, but it hasn't an effect on the live apps anymore, if you 've also turned the windows firewall on.

I'll definitly run my system with two firewalls till Bitdefender will release a update for this bull****! If there is no update till the end of my licence (178 days), i will change to norton security because this program runs without any troubles on win8 pro x64 (at the moment my girlfriend uses norton security 2013)!

• Hey, i got the same problem with the BD firewall. On top my messenger live app doesn't connect to the server as long as the BD firewall is activated.

I tried to change the firewall option/rules e.g. allow http, etc... I paid for this tool, i don't wanna uninstall it! I decided to deactivate the BD firewall and replace it with the windows firewall. After a restart my laptop works fine again. BUT after every restart the BD firewall is turned on again, but it hasn't an effect on the live apps anymore, if you 've also turned the windows firewall on.

I'll definitly run my system with two firewalls till Bitdefender will release a update for this bull****! If there is no update till the end of my licence (178 days), i will change to norton security because this program runs without any troubles on win8 pro x64 (at the moment my girlfriend uses norton security 2013)!

I just got an update to version : 16.26.0.1739 --> obviously the problems are fixed!!

• I was getting so frustrated because of my live tiles in Windows 8 stopped working. Actually, they didnt even refresh anymore, they also showed weird behavior like the buttons for "turn on/off live tiles" were gone on some tiles. I tried to remove and reinstall them, causing some to get "stuck" during installation in the store, just showing an "X" on the tiles, and under store it always howed "still installing...".

Long story made short, after doing everything like system check and repair I finally found a hint in a forum it could be caused by Bitdefender firewall, and what can I say? I deactivated the firewall, and now they were working again after reinstalling them all. Very well done Bitdefender team, very well done.

Heres a post about it btw other people having the same issue: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...b7e4bab5?page=2

This post http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=39372 seems to show the dev team is not carring about the issue? I have latest Bitdefender installed, however it doesnt fix it.

Also I noticed, the Windows 8 application safety thing service doesnt work anymore, where Windows tries to connect to Microsoft to scan files if they are authentic. Seems this is the same problem.

• I just got an update to version : 16.26.0.1739 --> obviously the problems are fixed!!

Not true. I have 16.26.0.1739 and still the live tiles, and other Windows functions aren working properly.

• Not true. I have 16.26.0.1739 and still the live tiles, and other Windows functions aren working properly.

The same version. Windows 8 Live tiles are not working properly! No data is shown on live tiles. Moreover, reinstalling (or updating) the app causes that button on/off live tile content disappears in the options!!!

• I was getting so frustrated because of my live tiles in Windows 8 stopped working. Actually, they didnt even refresh anymore, they also showed weird behavior like the buttons for "turn on/off live tiles" were gone on some tiles. I tried to remove and reinstall them, causing some to get "stuck" during installation in the store, just showing an "X" on the tiles, and under store it always howed "still installing...".

Long story made short, after doing everything like system check and repair I finally found a hint in a forum it could be caused by Bitdefender firewall, and what can I say? I deactivated the firewall, and now they were working again after reinstalling them all. Very well done Bitdefender team, very well done.

Heres a post about it btw other people having the same issue: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...b7e4bab5?page=2

This post http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=39372 seems to show the dev team is not carring about the issue? I have latest Bitdefender installed, however it doesnt fix it.

Also I noticed, the Windows 8 application safety thing service doesnt work anymore, where Windows tries to connect to Microsoft to scan files if they are authentic. Seems this is the same problem.

The same problem with Windows 8 Security. http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=39372

• I noticed on someones elses computer he was re-installing windows 8 and put in Bitdefender 30 days or whatever it was and he did all the updates running latest version of Bitdefender Internet ,live tiles are working.I don't get it.

It seems we need to take out Bitdefender whatever version it is ,all of it in safe mode and all leftover files.Restart computer.

The live tiles will come back, then re-install Bitdefender and all should work.I think i'll try it out maybe this week.

• Tried it and yes, if you turn on "explorer http traffic" and put your lan/wlan on "home/office off yes" (yes for generic), the tiles are working again. But I dont want to turn the explorer http traffic option on, because it s a security risk.

• Hello, I still am not getting my live tiles to work for me on windows 8 pro 64bit ,with latest Bitdefender Internet Security 2013, any fixes pls??

• Hi 46 views ,and no fixes , oh well I'll wait.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello,

The issue that you have reported has been acknowledged by our development team and is currently being worked on for a fix, which will be implemented through auto-update of the product.

In the meantime, a workaround for your case is described below:

- bring up the Bitdefender interface

- click on Setting

- choose the Firewall panel > Settings tab

- click on General rules

- go to Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP > use the drop-down menu to select 'Allow'

Please let me know how is everything going. :)

• Thanks for the reply I did the change above in firewall and now tiles are working. Very curious has to why it is doing this in the first place. Thanks for the temporary fix or will this be a permanent fix? Are there any security risks leaving it on allow?

• ...Are there any security risks leaving it on allow?
    Hi,

For sure. That's why the default setting is "Deny". A common practice is for trojan, viruses etc. to use WExplorer's opened ports. Thus, this is not a solution and it is very risky.

Of course you're protected with "On Access" or System scanning but after (possible) infection.

So, you may select "Deny" and...who cares about "live tiles"...which is an unresolved issue like many others...

Regards

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Those Modern/Metro Apps use Windows Explorer to connect to several resources.

The received solution is a workaround, we are currently working on a fix that will be integrated soon in the product.

Thank you!

• I just made a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro. I had a hope that Windows Live Tiles would finally function. AFTER installing Bitdefender Windows 8 Security the Live Tiles became useless... Only Mail and Photo apps work correctly.

This problem was posted along time ago and there is still no fix for that. Should't be done something more than saying, people should allow http traffic on windows explorer?

Best wishes to all having the same issue.

• SpeakEasy
    edited September 2016

Doing this "Allow Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP".only partially fixed the problem in my case.

My MSN Sports and News apps kept giving me old articles so here's what you can do to force the Sports and News apps to update correctly if they are not updating with current info:

1..Open the Sports app from the Start screen.

2. Open Task Manager.

3. In the left pane right-click the Sports app and choose "Properties".

4. Click the "Security" tab up top.

5. Click the "Advanced" button in the bottom part of the window that opened up.

6. Up top where it say's "Owner", click the link to the right that say's "change".

7. Type the name of the account you log on with, then click the "Check Names" button, then click OK.

8. Click the "Apply" button to finish.

Repeat the above steps for the "News" app and any others that don't update correctly.

You must take ownership of the apps and apply that ownership to your account, otherwise the SYSTEM or some other unknown entity will assume ownership and that's when things get haywire.

WARNING:

Under the "Owner" setting is a check box that say's: "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". DO NOT check that box. Doing so has unexpected results as it may take ownwership away from other apps that need to be left alone.

This discussion has been closed.