Prompted To Reboot Every Few Minutes Due To Update

My wives laptop keeps being prompted to restart for an update to Bitdefender constantly. We both are running it but I've not run into the issue but my wife has. Anyone else having this issue?

Comments

• Assuming you have a good internet connection and not running an old out dated laptop, I would recommend just reinstalling the program. This should correct the issue. I've never heard of this issue. Make sure there is no left over old anti virus programs lingering on the computer or other programs that are imbedded that came installed when you purchased the computer. Delete this old stuff before you reinstall.

• trinaz
    edited December 2012
    .... I've never heard of this issue...

Actually...there a many many posts on this in the Update forum...(going back to August: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35845 )....was definitely a BD issue...and was supposed to be fixed by a recent update...however...I sporadically encounter this still...I believe there was another update 'fix' very recently because this same issue started appearing on my XP machine last week...but now it's gone(corrected)..ie back to normal occasional 'restart' needed event notice.

Apparently you just have to wait for the BD update fix ?

TiminAz

• Actually...there a many many posts on this in the Update forum...(going back to August: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35845 )....was definitely a BD issue...and was supposed to be fixed by a recent update...however...I sporadically encounter this still...I believe there was another update 'fix' very recently because this same issue started appearing on my XP machine last week...but now it's gone(corrected)..ie back to normal occasional 'restart' needed event notice.

Apparently you just have to wait for the BD update fix ?

TiminAz

• I see, XP was a pretty good o/s and my dad stills runs it but he only uses the internet. If your using other apps I can see how this outdated operating system would create obstacles. Hang in there and they will probably get a fix for you. Things have gotten a lot more complex since the old XP operating system. I think it went from XP to Vista to Windows 7 and now Windows 8. You would be surprised with the performance improvements. You may want to consider a new tower or laptop for $299 or $329 at best buy or other computer store. Good luck..

• I see, XP was a pretty good o/s and my dad stills runs it but he only uses the internet. If your using other apps I can see how this outdated operating system would create obstacles. Hang in there and they will probably get a fix for you. Things have gotten a lot more complex since the old XP operating system. I think it went from XP to Vista to Windows 7 and now Windows 8. You would be surprised with the performance improvements. You may want to consider a new tower or laptop for $299 or $329 at best buy or other computer store. Good luck..

Dear Newbie rms....please be aware that...as on most forums...sarcasm is pretty well frowned upon and completely worthless. Of our six machines...the XP Pro 32 bit machine has had the absolute least problems with BDIS going back to the 2010 version.

Perhaps you might mention to your dad that I regularly and freely work on just about any home/work PC projects...transferring work projects, including complex graphic design projects (Photoshop), detailed cad design projects (Autocad), and legal documents and contracts easily between my Win 7 Pro 64 bit system and this "obsolete" XP operating system...without ANY operating system and/or program issues

As with the horrific launch of Vista....we have noticed that many, many programs are having issues with Windows 8 Pro Pack. See all the many many posts here in the BD forums on Windows 8, visit the Acronis True Image website...same thing, visit the Adobe Creative Suite 6 Master Collection forums (same), and many others.

As for your suggestions on a "new tower"...I have built my own PC's since 1989 and prefer to include the hardware and software that I know have proven their reliable and longevity, both past and present.

I believe all on this forum would agree with me that if you are going to post something...please make it an accurate, worthwhile, meaningful, and hopefully constructive comment.

TiminAz

• No sarcasm intended, I built the computer my dad is using and it still kicks pretty good. I think some folks aren't aware of the complexities that are involved with interfacing older and newer programs and operating systems. That along with instant messaging, Facebook, Twitter etc. etc. I think Bit Defender and my experience with using it has been great without any problems. That being said and by your own admission of using various labor intensive programs you may want to check each programs setting to see if it is trying to check or update on boot. I have always tried to make sure when I install and configure software that I manage when it updates rather than having multiple programs fighting to update during boot up. Hope this may help in you out.

• Hello :)

As I mentioned on one of my posts, the issue with repeated prompts for reboot is caused by some files that can not be replaced at Windows startup. One of the reasons is other security solutions installed on the same system or corrupted user profile or file/registry keys.

If those files are not replaced, the product will prompt the user to reboot after logon.

The easiest way to fix this is via Repair:

- Click on the START menu button;

- Go to (All) Programs -> Bitdefender 2013 -> choose "Repair or Remove";

- Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the computer each time you are requested to;

- Register and activate the product, then open Bitdefender and run a new update; reboot again if requested;

Happy Holidays!

• LTCreations
    edited February 2013
    Hello :)

As I mentioned on one of my posts, the issue with repeated prompts for reboot is caused by some files that can not be replaced at Windows startup. One of the reasons is other security solutions installed on the same system or corrupted user profile or file/registry keys.

If those files are not replaced, the product will prompt the user to reboot after logon.

- Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the computer each time you are requested to;

- Register and activate the product, then open Bitdefender and run a new update; reboot again if requested;

Happy Holidays!

Christian,

I've read other posts where you suggest the same process. I've followed the process after rebooting several times just today.

I've rebooted after the update, and Bitdefender tells me that I need to reboot again because the program updated, again, and requires rebooting.

Which reminds me, the "only" button that appears with Bitdefender in the "Add/Remove" program list is "Remove". There is no option to repair until after you click on the "Remove" button.

Additionally, even with "Show Updates" turned on there is nothing to indicate that Bitdefender has ever been updated.

This is a vicious cycle. I've done this no less than six times just today.

I went through the "Repair" cycle as well. It works for about 30 minutes, then requires another reboot. Apparently, after the reboot, Bitdefender attempts to download the update again - the same update that requires the reboot.

It seems to me that Bitdefender is going through the process correctly, reboots, is happy, then updates again finding the already installed update...then requires rebooting.

I think there is a file, similar to what you stated in another post, that Bitdefender is not reading correctly, or is corrupt, or perhaps Bitdefender is not writing the registry file correctly - which would be the most logical reason it would attempt to update the same file over and over.

Can you suggest something that will actually resolve this issue?

As a developer it's really annoying when both Windows (throwing up the "Alert" that I'm not protected because I don't have an anti-virus installed...so it thinks) and Bitdefender telling me that it needs to reboot.

What's odd is that Bitdefender is not alerting me. I only know that I'm supposed to reboot because XP is alerting me that I don't have an anti-virus installed. I then open Bitdefender and see the update requires a reboot.

But I've been through this at least six times today and cannot afford to continually babysit XP and Bitdefender.

Until today I had no problem with Bitdefender 2013. I've been using it since I threw out KIS...since it didn't stop or detect a serious virus in October of 2012.

My thinking is that there is something wrong with the way the latest update is written. Would that be accurate?

Thanks.

• ffwfire
    edited February 2013

I just find it odd that I am having the exact same problem.

Edit: So far it looks like I fixed it. I went to bitdefender in all programs and selected repair not uninstall.

• Well, I have the same problems with my Windows 7 64bit systems. I get the repeated reboot requests after EVERY version update of Internet Security 2013. Then I repair the installation or uninstall it with the tool and reinstall it. After that everything works fine again until the next version update comes out.

• Well, I have the same problems with my Windows 7 64bit systems. I get the repeated reboot requests after EVERY version update of Internet Security 2013. Then I repair the installation or uninstall it with the tool and reinstall it. After that everything works fine again until the next version update comes out.

KB2840149 update for Windows 7 released, replaces botched update that caused infinite reboots

• Hello :)

Happy Holidays!

Where do i find that file in windows 8?

And where is the update server mine wont update cant find update server, but i shall reboot.

• Thats not the problem I have. Bitdefender gives the meassage to do a restart after each virusdefinition-update when an Version-update of IS2013 has been done. Only after repairing or reinstall of BIS2013 the restarts arent forced after each virusdefinition-update and BIS2013 works fine.

• I am having the exact same problem with Win7, every time there is a definitions update BD wants me to reboot. This is getting really old.

• I had the same problem earlier. I noticed that when I had installed Bitdefender for the first time I did get the notification for rebooting the machine before using bitdefender which I had ignored. I directly updated bitdefender and thus started getting notifications for reboot after each update. Then I repaired the product and rebooted first before updating the same and it worked.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello,

Those of you who are still dealing with this issue - please please post here a support tool log to see what is wrong:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com or http://www.mediafire.com

and post the download link.

If you were already asked to generate these logs, disregard the above message and just post the ticket ID.

Thank you.

• My BD has been working fine for the past few months. today it started this reboot thing, I am up to about my 4th reboot today and it is early afternoon, who knows how many more reboot requests I will get today. This seems to happen every few months then dies off,

is there a new build in the process?