Does Bitdefender Cause Win7x64 System Startup Issues?

Hello, :)

I currently run Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, and I've only had Bitdefender 2013 for just about a week in the trial, but ever since I installed Bitdefender I've noticed that I've jhad startup issues. After the Starting Windows screen with the glowing Windows logo, a blank black screen pops up that lasts for ages (I'd say at least 2 minutes). Afterwards the login screen will appear as normal. This really slows down my system startup and I cannot remember noticing this problem before I installed Bitdefender.

I can provide my system specs if necessary, and I've been told to re-install Windows, but I don't think that's the problem.

I've tried making many programs not start at startup, use AVG PC Tuneup to reduce load etc but I still get slow speeds:

After reducing system load and disabling 18 programs

I've since uninstalled AVG PCTuneup, and I don't know what else to do!

I was wondering, does Bitdefender have record of this happening to other users? Is Bitdefender faulty for me? Or it is not the issue?

Comments

• Interesting - I also run Win 7 64-bit and after I have installed with free version of Bitdefender I notice that my system does not boot up as fast when I have AVG or other free anti-virus applications that I would obtain from Dowload.com

I'm a IT Manager and in the process of seeking a new corporate solution for Antivirus and Antimalware.

I have read a lot of great reviews about Bitdefender from what I would consider reliable resources but I would hate to provide a solution to w where everyone would take a performance hit on their computers.

Maybe I'm asking too much for wanting to have a very secure environment yet not experience any performance loss with the solution.

Our standard install is a Dell E-6400 series laptop with 6 or 8GB of RAM, Windows 7 64-bit with the goal of upgrading our servers from Windows Server 2003 to 2008 R2 or Server 2012, Exchange Server 2003 to Exchange Server 2013 and adding Lync Server 2013 for IM and Video Conferencing.

• Hello, :)

I currently run Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, and I've only had Bitdefender 2013 for just about a week in the trial, but ever since I installed Bitdefender I've noticed that I've jhad startup issues. After the Starting Windows screen with the glowing Windows logo, a blank black screen pops up that lasts for ages (I'd say at least 2 minutes). Afterwards the login screen will appear as normal. This really slows down my system startup and I cannot remember noticing this problem before I installed Bitdefender.

I can provide my system specs if necessary, and I've been told to re-install Windows, but I don't think that's the problem.

I've tried making many programs not start at startup, use AVG PC Tuneup to reduce load etc but I still get slow speeds:

I was wondering, does Bitdefender have record of this happening to other users? Is Bitdefender faulty for me? Or it is not the issue?

The Black screen issue is known by BD Support till now they have not able resolved that issue.

hope BD 2014 resolves the issue.

And the booting time issue is been solved.

Can you tell me your build number?

• ThisTechBoi
    edited June 2013
    The Black screen issue is known by BD Support till now they have not able resolved that issue.

hope BD 2014 resolves the issue.

And the booting time issue is been solved.

Can you tell me your build number?

Wait, so Bitdefender is the cause of the problem? It's been reported before? I just re-installed Bitdefender and while it was out of my system, I restarted my computer and the problem was still there, so I think that Bitdefender is not the cause, but Im not sure. If BD is the issue then bye bye BD hello AVG...

My build number is version 16.30.0.1843, so it should be fixed, i think, but it isnt!

• I have been a BD customer for the past few years. Unfortunately the latest versions keep getting worse. Before paying for an antivirus application I would not rely on the reviews alone. I would read various forums for the unresolved problems and the quality of user support. Have a look here to have a taste of serious UNRESOLVED problems that almost all users have and VERY poor support.

Unfortunately I recently bought 10 (!) licenses for my family and I have 10 more months to go but I know for sure that this is the last year I used BD.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=42438

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry186995

Interesting - I also run Win 7 64-bit and after I have installed with free version of Bitdefender I notice that my system does not boot up as fast when I have AVG or other free anti-virus applications that I would obtain from Dowload.com

I'm a IT Manager and in the process of seeking a new corporate solution for Antivirus and Antimalware.

I have read a lot of great reviews about Bitdefender from what I would consider reliable resources but I would hate to provide a solution to w where everyone would take a performance hit on their computers.

Maybe I'm asking too much for wanting to have a very secure environment yet not experience any performance loss with the solution.

Our standard install is a Dell E-6400 series laptop with 6 or 8GB of RAM, Windows 7 64-bit with the goal of upgrading our servers from Windows Server 2003 to 2008 R2 or Server 2012, Exchange Server 2003 to Exchange Server 2013 and adding Lync Server 2013 for IM and Video Conferencing.

• Hello,

I use Bitdefender Antiviris Plus since 45 days only. I run too Windows 7 Pro SP 1 and everything is goins well. No black screen and the boot is very fast: 45 seconds for all... So Antivirus is running well on one computer et not on the other. It is the samething with all of them: Avast, Norton... etc...

• ThisTechBoi
    edited June 2013
    Hello,

I use Bitdefender Antiviris Plus since 45 days only. I run too Windows 7 Pro SP 1 and everything is goins well. No black screen and the boot is very fast: 45 seconds for all... So Antivirus is running well on one computer et not on the other. It is the samething with all of them: Avast, Norton... etc...

Yes but I am using Bitdefender total secuity!

• I am using Internet Security. The problem with the bandwidth usage is not obvious that the problem is caused BD. You have to do your search first. Are you sure that youtube videos are not being downloaded after you close the browser window?

• Ashjuk
    Ashjuk ✭✭✭
    I have been a BD customer for the past few years. Unfortunately the latest versions keep getting worse. Before paying for an antivirus application I would not rely on the reviews alone. I would read various forums for the unresolved problems and the quality of user support. Have a look here to have a taste of serious UNRESOLVED problems that almost all users have and VERY poor support.

Unfortunately I recently bought 10 (!) licenses for my family and I have 10 more months to go but I know for sure that this is the last year I used BD.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=42438

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry186995

I used Bitdefender quite a few years ago before switching to Kaspersky IS, but I decided to give it a go again on the back of some glowing reviews. Luckily I only bought a one year licence as to be honest Bitdefender is nowhere as good as Kaspersky.

Since installing BD a few weeks ago I have been plagued with internet problems. Firefox now regularly stops responding and some pages can be very slow to load - not an issue I had with Kaspersky! The main reason I had for switching from Kaspersky was that it had a problem with a bit of software - Synology Assistant - but given the number of times I used that in comparison to using Firefox I know which I would prefer. So, like you, this will be my last year with BD - in fact I am seriously thinking of dumping it now.

• Hello, :)

• I used Bitdefender quite a few years ago before switching to Kaspersky IS, but I decided to give it a go again on the back of some glowing reviews. Luckily I only bought a one year licence as to be honest Bitdefender is nowhere as good as Kaspersky.

Since installing BD a few weeks ago I have been plagued with internet problems. Firefox now regularly stops responding and some pages can be very slow to load - not an issue I had with Kaspersky! The main reason I had for switching from Kaspersky was that it had a problem with a bit of software - Synology Assistant - but given the number of times I used that in comparison to using Firefox I know which I would prefer. So, like you, this will be my last year with BD - in fact I am seriously thinking of dumping it now.

I agree, I'm happy I did not purchase the program so far. According to av-test.org and av-comparatives, F-Secure is a healthy alternative (that has a much lower impact on system performance) so I'm going to test that out if Bitdefender doesn't stop slowing my computer.

• Ashjuk
    Ashjuk ✭✭✭
    I agree, I'm happy I did not purchase the program so far. According to av-test.org and av-comparatives, F-Secure is a healthy alternative (that has a much lower impact on system performance) so I'm going to test that out if Bitdefender doesn't stop slowing my computer.

I will have a look at F-Secure.

I have been through most of the suppliers over the years and was perfectly happy with Kaspersky until I had the issue with Synology Assistant. I have to say that Kaspersky gave good feedback on the problem but at the end of the day they were unable to resolve the exact thing that was causing the blocking. Given the times I actually used the Assistant software I may well go back to Kaspersky.

Since installing BD I have gone back to the website that gave it a good review and checked out the comments. It seems that the majority of posts question why BD got such a good review given the number of problems that users seem to have and the complete lack of support.

Lesson learned - listen to users and not computer magazines.

• I will have a look at F-Secure.

I have been through most of the suppliers over the years and was perfectly happy with Kaspersky until I had the issue with Synology Assistant. I have to say that Kaspersky gave good feedback on the problem but at the end of the day they were unable to resolve the exact thing that was causing the blocking. Given the times I actually used the Assistant software I may well go back to Kaspersky.

Since installing BD I have gone back to the website that gave it a good review and checked out the comments. It seems that the majority of posts question why BD got such a good review given the number of problems that users seem to have and the complete lack of support.

Lesson learned - listen to users and not computer magazines.

tumblr_mbp10hMp991r3zat8.gif

I'm convinced that Bitdefender is the one to blame for my performance issues because I just did a fresh intall of Windows, and everything is was running fast and smooth until Bitdefender was installed... now i get lag and black screens at startup... thers lag even as i am wriiting now, the words show up a while after ive typed tthem, so sorry for the typos

I am going to download F-Secure and try it out, otherwise I will try out Kapersky as you mentioned, i have never used it.

• Ashjuk
    Ashjuk ✭✭✭
    ...thers lag even as i am wriiting now, the words show up a while after ive typed tthem, so sorry for the typos

I am going to download F-Secure and try it out, otherwise I will try out Kapersky as you mentioned, i have never used it.

I have noticed that too - did not associate it with BD. Another reason to look at a different security suite.

• Ashjuk
    Ashjuk ✭✭✭

I've finally had enough of the constant issues I have been having since switching from Kaspersky to Bitdefender - Firefox constantly freezing, slow loading of pages, keyboard lag when I'm typing etc.

I have tried all the suggested tweaks that I have been able to find here relating to the firewall and scanning and nothing has made a difference. Also I am puzzled by the seemingly random behaviour of BD. Installed at the same time on a desktop machine running W7 64 bit and a laptop running W8 64 bit - on the laptop it is nearly always doing a scan (the scan icon appearing in the system tray) but so far on the desktop no scan has taken place. The settings are identical on both machines!

So last night I bought a Kaspersky IS 3 user licence - time to go back to something that won't drive me crazy.

• bullguard is a good av that's what i use now kaspersky is good but its very resource hungry and does slow my ssd down too much for me i have no slow downs at all with bullguard and it scored well on the avtest.

• im using bd internet security, used quick heal internet security, me too suffering from system slow, BLACK SCREEN WHILE BOOTING, and increased boot and shut down timing, how to fix this?

• So, I've uninstalled Bitdefender for the nth time, and while I still see a black screen, I've noticed that my ocmputer is performing much faster - no lag. Now I'll try F-Secure and Kapersky.

• Wait, so Bitdefender is the cause of the problem? It's been reported before? I just re-installed Bitdefender and while it was out of my system, I restarted my computer and the problem was still there, so I think that Bitdefender is not the cause, but Im not sure. If BD is the issue then bye bye BD hello AVG...

My build number is version 16.30.0.1843, so it should be fixed, i think, but it isnt!

I'm trialling the same version of BD after online mag reviews... working fine whilst PC running (perhaps some delay on Firefox startup?) but got 5min or so boot up with black screen (I was interrupting it thinking it had locked up....) and this has clearly started with BD...

So if no fix, I'll uninstall & try others with high ratings like F-Secure, Norton, Trend Micro, Kapersky (especially as 70% off deals seem to have expired).