Bit Defender 2013 And Windows 8.1 Preview?

Seems to not load now, any ideas?

Comments

• Same here. Seems not compatible ;(

• Same here. Seems not compatible ;(

Same here.. Firewall down.. etc. I did a repair install and it still won't work.

• Well after a bit of research I found out that MSFT has put SHIMs into their compatibility database with the 8.1 (Blue) preview release. :blink: The SHIMs put in place are are what's called a Hard Block meaning Microsoft in their wisdom has decided to disable your application for whatever reason. You can create SHIMs to do other things, like change desktop settings, video settings etc. Anyway, you can find out more about those here Technet Article On SHIMs I disabled the SHIMs that were set up for 2013 and now I have the GUI features back however there are issues. Things like toggling OFF/ON in a few spots, the Firewall tracking (in/out status) doesn't work etc. I suspect that the .NET framework updates that Microsoft has done (.NET 4.5.1 etc.) aren't compatible or something else with some of the Windows APIs causing problems. The AntiVirus Services and Update Services are running and I see no appreciable entries in my System Event Logs to say they're not functioning normally; along with the Desktop Widget happily plodding away with activity. Updates do work, my system boot_s and I get Vulnerability messages (like *gasp* 5 updates for Windows Blue already). :D Anyway I have a ticket open with support to work through it and I've sent them a capture video of the interaction problems I encountered.

I'll roll the dice here for a few days with it and see what else shakes out but if you absolutely have to have Bitdefender running my recommendation is: Don't install Windows 8.1 (Blue) yet until BitDefender has a fix for the GUI and has done some regression testing on 8.1. But if you're like me, I need to be developing on the platform early for some of my own product.. ;) YMMV

• Well after a bit of research I found out that MSFT has put SHIMs into their compatibility database with the 8.1 (Blue) preview release. :blink: The SHIMs put in place are are what's called a Hard Block meaning Microsoft in their wisdom has decided to disable your application for whatever reason. You can create SHIMs to do other things, like change desktop settings, video settings etc. Anyway, you can find out more about those here Technet Article On SHIMs I disabled the SHIMs that were set up for 2013 and now I have the GUI features back however there are issues. Things like toggling OFF/ON in a few spots, the Firewall tracking (in/out status) doesn't work etc. I suspect that the .NET framework updates that Microsoft has done (.NET 4.5.1 etc.) aren't compatible or something else with some of the Windows APIs causing problems. The AntiVirus Services and Update Services are running and I see no appreciable entries in my System Event Logs to say they're not functioning normally; along with the Desktop Widget happily plodding away with activity. Updates do work, my system boot_s and I get Vulnerability messages (like *gasp* 5 updates for Windows Blue already). :D Anyway I have a ticket open with support to work through it and I've sent them a capture video of the interaction problems I encountered.

I'll roll the dice here for a few days with it and see what else shakes out but if you absolutely have to have Bitdefender running my recommendation is: Don't install Windows 8.1 (Blue) yet until BitDefender has a fix for the GUI and has done some regression testing on 8.1. But if you're like me, I need to be developing on the platform early for some of my own product.. ;) YMMV

My recommedatation is don't install W8.1 until it is final and rolls out in a Microsoft Patch Tuesday update. If Microsoft requires an ISO to upgrade from W8 to W8.1 I would wait at least several patch Tuesdays after it is released before considering the upgrade.

If you have an unused computer you want to install it on and play with it, it may be okay to try and install it. From Winbeta.org Having trouble installing Windows 8.1 Preview? Good luck to those who want to try W8.1 Blue

• My recommedatation is don't install W8.1 until it is final and rolls out in a Microsoft Patch Tuesday update. If Microsoft requires an ISO to upgrade from W8 to W8.1 I would wait at least several patch Tuesdays after it is released before considering the upgrade.

If you have an unused computer you want to install it on and play with it, it may be okay to try and install it. From Winbeta.org Having trouble installing Windows 8.1 Preview? Good luck to those who want to try W8.1 Blue

I took the plunge prematurely, so I'm stuck using Windows Firewall and other solutions until 8.1 is fixed. Too much of an issue uninstalling 8.1 at this point.

• Yeah, not working here either.. so Windows Defender & Windows Firewall it is then :(

C'mon Bitdefender, get this on the to-do (urgent) list please!! It's not like 8.1 coming out was a secret :)

Even if it's just a beta version....

• For anyone else in the same position as me... I suggest that you download and install the new Bitdefender Total Security (2014), as it does work on Windows 8.1 Preview. You'll at least get a month of security, and if Bitdefender haven't sorted it out by then.. Install Bitdefender Internet Security Trial :)

• For anyone else in the same position as me... I suggest that you download and install the new Bitdefender Total Security (2014), as it does work on Windows 8.1 Preview. You'll at least get a month of security, and if Bitdefender haven't sorted it out by then.. Install Bitdefender Internet Security Trial :)

The Total Sec 2013 seems to function fine - not the console, though - if you repair it. The widget showed up and the B icon did load in windows notification area. You can right-click on the B icon to run update, for example. Also, seems like all the other app notifications open fine - if you scan a file for example. Just not sure what's the deal with console!!!

• The Total Sec 2013 seems to function fine - not the console, though - if you repair it. The widget showed up and the B icon did load in windows notification area. You can right-click on the B icon to run update, for example. Also, seems like all the other app notifications open fine - if you scan a file for example. Just not sure what's the deal with console!!!

Yeah, I don't think I was clear.. I'm using Windows 8 Security, which isn't working with Windows 8.1

Thanks for the tip. BD TS 2014 was able to install and all functionality seems to present. However, I do get prompted (User Access Control) on restarts/reboots to install TS 2014. I reply 'no' and move on.

I'm hopeful that BD for Windows 8 issues are resolved in 30 days.

• Thanks for the tip. BD TS 2014 was able to install and all functionality seems to present. However, I do get prompted (User Access Control) on restarts/reboots to install TS 2014. I reply 'no' and move on.

I'm hopeful that BD for Windows 8 issues are resolved in 30 days.

Yeah there are no shims for the 2014 release, only 2012 and 2013.