Conflict With Ccleaner And Active Virus Control

Charyb
Charyb ✭✭✭
edited June 2013 in Antivirus

I was going to mention this before the new release but had difficulties figuring out exactly what was going on. Each time I would run ccleaner, I would be locked out of my computer. This was a problem I discovered in version 2013 and is in 2014.

From what I could find there are 3 things that need to happen.

1. Bitdefender Active Virus Control needs to be on.

2. ccleaner setting needs to be set for secure file deletion. Mine was set to simple overwrite - one pass.

3. There needs to be an executable file involved. The problem happens when this executable is being cleaned.

I have tried 3 different files of different size because I wasn't certain if it had to do with the size of the file being cleaned.

1. FileZilla FTP Client 4.59 MB

2. Quick Time Installer 39.4 MB

3. CW Shredder 520 KB

File size doesn't seem to matter because ccleaner would freeze once it began cleaning any of these 3 files.

If I set the option to Normal file deletion in ccleaner, the problem doesn't occur.

If I turn Advanced Virus Control off, the problem doesn't occur.

If there is no executable involved, the problem doesn't occur.

The problem is, this scenario keeps me from opening any applications, unable to open task manager and unable to restart my computer.

Essentially, it locks me out of my computer and I am required to perform a hard reset.

Please see attachments. 3 of the attachments show the details of the files that I used to test this. 1 image shows the setting in ccleaner. And the other shows ccleaner while trying to clean FileZilla which ends my ability to do anything on this computer. I believe Active Virus Control is the cause of this.

post-63102-1372345803_thumb.png

post-63102-1372345810_thumb.png

post-63102-1372345824_thumb.png

post-63102-1372345830_thumb.png

post-63102-1372345837_thumb.png

Comments

• Hi Charyb,

As you probably remember, I use the free version of CCleaner along with Bitdefender AV Plus 2013.

I have had problems with CCleaner "freezing up" in the past, and I still do on occasion. I have done and still do two things which "usually" helps.

The first one is, I have unticked the option under "Options > Advanced" that says Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours . That seems to have helped, considering the problem is sporadic now, where as it used to be much more frequent.

And also, while it's a pain in the butt....uninstalling and reinstalling CCleaner seems to help during those time where is hangs and several reboots over a day or so period of time doesn't do anything.

As for the "single overwrite versus secure deletion"....I haven't had that problem. I have used the "Complex Overwrite (7 passes)" for several years now....but there has been a couple of times where I "uninstalled and reinstalled" CCleaner and forgot to change the setting to 7 passes and so it only erased with the one (single) pass. Of course, this is with Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 on a Windows 7, 64 bit machine...so I'm sure your mileage may vary. ;)

This may not help shed light with ANY of the problems that you are experiencing...but I'm just sharing what little info I can in hopes that maybe it might help. Good luck.

• have you tried adding ccleaner to the excluded process list for the antivirus component? guessing you have but thought I'd mention it just in case you haven't.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited June 2013

Also had this issue here, and was resolved adding to exclusions..I'm posting 1/2 brain dead today, hope I'm in the right forum and this helps, lol :unsure: : http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=41995

• Also had this issue here, and was resolved adding to exclusions..I'm posting 1/2 brain dead today, hope I'm in the right forum and this helps, lol :unsure: : http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=41995

What works for me is keeping CCleaner deletion at normal and then using Privazer once a week. Privazer is free. It lays down zeros. Takes a very long time the first time you use it even on a new HDD. After that it goes pretty quick if you use it like I do once a week.

• Hey Nesivos, thanks for that tip. I just downloaded it :) Did you, do I need to set anything in exclusions, or just install and let er fly?

• I too, had to do a hard reboot even after adding the below to Exclusions. The key is, to not run CCleaner, but to add the BD Exclusions then restart your PC, and you should be fine. Adding to Exclusions, running CCleaner w/o a reboot, will cause the freeze up, hard reboot. I know the below may be overkill Exclusion wise, but I just didn't want to go through 1-2 reboots adding files in. Did accomplish a 3 pass clean, no problem.

ccleaner_zps00563155.jpg

ccleanersettings_zps7ae0d706.jpg

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    edited June 2013

Everyone, thanks for your help.

Strange that the actions of ccleaner aren't somehow white listed by Bitdefender due to ccleaner's popularity.

I have added the exclusions and will try the dreaded scenario when I get time.

Also, PrivaZer is a great cleaner. I saved the portable version on my flash drive along with the config file and use it occasionally.

If this ccleaner thing didn't get worked out, I would have completely replaced ccleaner with PrivaZer. Even though I don't believe it is any fault of ccleaner.

I'm going to try just excluding ccleaner64.exe first.

I will report back on this soon.

Thanks again.

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    edited June 2013

SportsFan, antikythera, Columbo, Nesivos,

Thank you for your help. I added ccleaner64.exe to the process exclusion list and it worked just fine. My system is 64bit. You can't believe how frustrated I was getting with this. I had just changed to single pass secure deletion a couple weeks ago and didn't think anything of it.

Columbo, I have had PrivaZer installed on my computer at one time and am currently using the portable version. I have not had to add exclusions for it to work correctly. Great piece of software which is updated often and the developer is active at Wilders.

Again, thank you all for your superb guidance.

post-63102-1372383767_thumb.png

• Hello,

I've not had such problem with CCleaner. PrivaZer is a great software.

Regards

• Everyone, thanks for your help.

Strange that the actions of ccleaner aren't somehow white listed by Bitdefender due to ccleaner's popularity.

I have added the exclusions and will try the dreaded scenario when I get time.

I have to agree on that one, such a popular software, it should be a slam dunk to work without having to be added to exclusions. "and will try the dreaded scenario...." lol :)

SportsFan, antikythera, Columbo, Nesivos,

Thank you for your help.

Columbo, I have had PrivaZer installed on my computer at one time and am currently using the portable version. I have not had to add exclusions for it to work correctly. Great piece of software which is updated often and the developer is active at Wilders.

Again, thank you all for your superb guidance.

You're welcome from my end :) Now, thank you for that follow up info and help, and yours as well as JF42EHVAU assessment of it. I'll give it a try :)

• To all those who recommended PrivaZer, you're right, great utility! :):) Thanks also, Nesivos, for the heads up in the length of time for the first pass, that was going to take it awhile ;)