New Version - Update Frequency

Any reason to worry cause this new version is updating less frequently than the previous one (every 3 or 4 hours)?

Thanks in advance.

Nedim

Comments

• I've noticed this too and I'm concerned about it to be honest.

• I've noticed this too and I'm concerned about it to be honest.

Judging by the gadget appearance and HDD load increase every 15 mins. it is still checking at the same frequency on my systems. It only logs when it actually finds and downloads something new though. not every update check.

• You seem to be confused. Every antivirus company releases updates to combat new viruses. About 4-5 times a day. There are 2 kinds of updating. Your antivirus looks for updates frequently. But if there are no updates to download then there is nothing to add. The logs indicate when updates where actually downloaded and applied. The logs do not show how often your product actually looked for updates. Heck you can look for updates every 10 min and log it. But if there is no new data base to download then there is nothing to do. Hope that clears it up.

• no confusion on my part, thanks for reiterating what I said though ;)

• No confusion here, Let me explain my point. Whilst using bitdefender IS 2013 I'd manually check for updates 3 times per hour and BD would always find and download updates during these manual checks. Now, since using version 2014 I've followed the same routine of MANUALLY checking for updates 3 times per hour, now whereas BIS 2013 would always download updates during these checks, BD 2014 doesn't, with BD 2014 I can check for updates as often as I like but they are only available every 3 hours, this concerns me as there is clearly a significant drop in the amount of updates available for download each day in version 2014.

I'd like to point out that a number of people have noticed this and are asking questions regarding this problem.

• You manually check for updates 3x an hour? What are you paranoid or something? :huh: Holy crap. The purpose of any antivirus is to not bother you. Do everything in the background. The updates come from the severs. The severs are still the same no matter what product your using. Updates are ONLY pushed out around the world when they are ready. I do not see a number of posts so i have no idea what you speak of. Are you forgetting that BD has one of the highest detection rates around. Every 3 hours...............Well lets break that down. There are 24 hours in a day. 24/3 = 8. So that would mean on Bitdefender is releasing a new data base 8 times a day. And the problem with that is?

• You manually check for updates 3x an hour? What are you paranoid or something? :huh: Holy crap. The purpose of any antivirus is to not bother you. Do everything in the background. The updates come from the severs. The severs are still the same no matter what product your using. Updates are ONLY pushed out around the world when they are ready. I do not see a number of posts so i have no idea what you speak of. Are you forgetting that BD has one of the highest detection rates around. Every 3 hours...............Well lets break that down. There are 24 hours in a day. 24/3 = 8. So that would mean on Bitdefender is releasing a new data base 8 times a day. And the problem with that is?

The problem with that is the updates used to be more frequent, it's like BD are deliberately holding updates back. As for you not seeing many posts about the subject, well there's 2 users on this thread complaining about the problem, one users in the BD german forum complaining about the problem, 3 or 4 on MalwareTips.com complaning about the problem and atleast 2 users on wilders complaining that the updates are less frequent in this version.

I find trying to get an answer out of Bitdefender support a fruitless exercise, I find the help on these, their very own forums to be severely lacking and frankly rude. As I said up until I installed 2014 version I was getting very regular update. I find it unacceptable that BD's free version is updating once an hour and my paid suite is updating once every 3 hours, and yes, I know Bdav free is run on cloud tech but it also download sigs, at a more frequent rate than the paid products apparently.

As for Bitdefender having one of the highest detection rates, well yes when they had more frequent updates but I await the results of tests based on Bd's new update frequency.

And just for the record I've seen updates as far apart as 4 and a half hours, 3 hours is the fastest rate. My God free AV's update more.

BD really should monitor there own forums to stop ****** like you giving them a poor name.

• You said "The purpose of any antivirus is to not bother you" And here's me thinking the purpose of an antivirus is to protect the end user.

What's wrong with you?Why do you post like that?Is this forum you own property?Calm down Aventador.

I only asked about this cause I noticed the difference in the update frequency between the previous version and this new version.

• Lol........................The same users from MalwareTips.com are the same users from Wilders. Just different names and most of them not even old enough to drive. Symantec, Kaspersky, McAfee and Avast all release a data base update about at the same rate. I fail to see your problem. 6 users who are complaining when compared to the millions of BD users is nothing to worry about.

Maybe the servers are being overloaded. Nothing to worry about. No sense in crying over spilled milk.

• I think you're missing the point so read slowly..... I'm saying that whilst using BIS 2013 even up until a couple of days ago I would get very frequent updates and since installing the new version those updates are far less frequent, now I didn't post on here to be judged by you or anyone else, I posted on here to find WHY those updates have become less frequent over the last couple of days.

• I think I'm going to switch to Emsisoft, still using the BD engine,plus it's own, plus the bb overall better detection and protection and far better support.

• I think I'm going to switch to Emsisoft, still using the BD engine,plus it's own, plus the bb overall better detection and protection and far better support.

Lol.............Do you honestly think thats the answer. Go around to every antivirus company and ask them how many data base updates they release in a 24 hour period. its only average about 5-8. Avast sometimes only 4. Again I fail to see your point. Symantec releases updates about 5-6 times a day. I find it hard to believe that previously BD was releasing more then 10 data base updates per day. But only a paranoid user who manually checks updates 3x's an hour would know this. What exactly are your surfing habits if you need to be so frequently checking the data base? Or are you on of these YouTube malware video testers?

• ZeroDay
    edited June 2013

You seem to be forgetting that Norton and avast have steaming updates, dear oh dear you don't know a great deal do you. I can assure you my BIS was updating far more frequently than it has been for the last couple of hours, even the BD rep on facebook agrees that a 3 hour gap between updates isn't right.

Edit to add: No I'm not one of these youtube testers.

• It also may depend upon your area. Everyone in the world is not using the same servers. Could be a server issue. Either way its not that big of a concern unless your a dangerous web surfer. I have never had an infection in well over 12 years. Not even an alert. Well unless I am malware testing.

• My browsing habits are safe but I do like to feel assured that I'm using the best products available, now for me there's only a few products in that category BD being one of them. But I have read of recent tests where BD has been completely disabled during a test by a user on MalwareTips. Don't get me wrong I like BIS that's why I payed good money for it, I also have a lot of faith in it, but I do find this problem with far less frequent updates a little frustrating.

• You seem to be forgetting that Norton and avast have steaming updates, dear oh dear you don't know a great deal do you. I can assure you my BIS was updating far more frequently than it has been for the last couple of hours, even the BD rep on facebook agrees that a 3 hour gap between updates isn't right.

Edit to add: No I'm not one of these youtube testers.

Exactly what are "steaming updates"? Are those "hot" updates when compared to "cold" updates? :wacko: I am well aware of how Norton and Avast work.

• I can see I'm talking to a complete idiot so I'll waste no more of my time. PS I recommend you spend some time reading up on security and maybe also common courtesy, both your Computer knowledge and you people skills are severely lacking. I'll not be posting anymore on these forums.

• My browsing habits are safe but I do like to feel assured that I'm using the best products available, now for me there's only a few products in that category BD being one of them. But I have read of recent tests where BD has been completely disabled during a test by a user on MalwareTips. Don't get me wrong I like BIS that's why I payed good money for it, I also have a lot of faith in it, but I do find this problem with far less frequent updates a little frustrating.

Do you honestly think that a YouTube video made by a 14 year old kid is credible? FYI...............If you search for deals you can get BD for $5. I did. If you spent way more then that then you need to learn "smart shopping". Again maybe its your area where you are getting your updates from.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

Hello,

I think there is a small confusion in this topic.

The product will check for updates using these default settings(from Windows logon, in minutes):

<SignaturesUpdate enabled="1" first="5" second="10" interval="15" />

<ProductUpdate enabled="1" first="30" second="0" interval="60" />

If there is no update available on the servers, the product will not create and event, only when the update is downloaded and installed you will see the action logged under the Update section from Events.

Some of the posts from this topic will be deleted, please check the rules before posting:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=368&id=18

Have a great week!

This discussion has been closed.