Bitdefender Install Or Antivirus Scan Crash With Asus Ai Suite Iii

Beradon
edited July 2013 in General

Just letting you guys at Bitdefender know, I've experienced an issue that appears to be popping up in various other areas on this forum as well.

(Just generally searched the word Asus and saw a couple other mentions of BSODs that definitely had the similarity of having Asus motherboards mentioned. If installing the drivers from the Asus Motherboard DVD it auto-installs AI Suite III). I've also seen mention of AI Suite II causing trouble, but this isnt my issue.

When Asus AI Suite III is installed on Windows 8 and you attempt to either install Bitdefender 2013 (which includes an AV Scan) or after Bitdefender 2013 is installed and it attempts to AV scan (either automatically or manually), Windows 8 will BSOD.

I've tried this with and without AI Suite III installed. As soon as I remove AI Suite III the BSOD issues go away. If I install *ANY* portion of Asus AI Suite III the issues return.

I can also prevent the BSODs during scan by closing AI Suite III from the system tray, but this is far from an ideal solution as this prevents certain features of my motherboard from working properly.

System specifics:

i7-4770k (stock)

Asus z87 Deluxe/Dual

EVGA Geforce GTX 780

2x Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSDs (RAID 0)

4x Seagate 1TB HDDs (RAID 5)

32 gig of Mushkin Redline memory

Windows 8 Pro 64 bit with Media Center

I have opened a ticket:

Comments

• Just letting you guys at Bitdefender know, I've experienced an issue that appears to be popping up in various other areas on this forum as well.

(Just generally searched the word Asus and saw a couple other mentions of BSODs that definitely had the similarity of having Asus motherboards mentioned. If installing the drivers from the Asus Motherboard DVD it auto-installs AI Suite III). I've also seen mention of AI Suite II causing trouble, but this isnt my issue.

When Asus AI Suite III is installed on Windows 8 and you attempt to either install Bitdefender 2013 (which includes an AV Scan) or after Bitdefender 2013 is installed and it attempts to AV scan (either automatically or manually), Windows 8 will BSOD.

I've tried this with and without AI Suite III installed. As soon as I remove AI Suite III the BSOD issues go away. If I install *ANY* portion of Asus AI Suite III the issues return.

I can also prevent the BSODs during scan by closing AI Suite III from the system tray, but this is far from an ideal solution as this prevents certain features of my motherboard from working properly.

System specifics:

i7-4770k (stock)

Asus z87 Deluxe/Dual

EVGA Geforce GTX 780

2x Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSDs (RAID 0)

4x Seagate 1TB HDDs (RAID 5)

32 gig of Mushkin Redline memory

Windows 8 Pro 64 bit with Media Center

I have opened a ticket:

Well that ######, have you tried adding the ASUS software and directories as exclusions from A/V Scanning?

• Beradon
    edited July 2013
    Well that ######, have you tried adding the ASUS software and directories as exclusions from A/V Scanning?

It's a good thought, but it happens during the initial memory portion of the scan and crashes while AI Suite is resident in the memory, however it does not crash if AI Suite is closed, IE: exited even from the system tray (even if it is still installed).

AI Suite starts with Windows and cannot be prevented from doing so without being creative.

• It happened since few years ago when I purchased asus as motherboard and bitdefender as antivirus. Same thing happened and it hasn't fixed till now it seems! Sigh!

• antikythera
    edited July 2013

Hello I have an Asus mainboard which uses AI Suite II. However, it is the latest version for my board under the windows 8 tab from the Asus website and not the supplied outdated DVD.

I have just the AI Suite II executable added the to antivirus settings excluded process list and no BSODs during the system scans. I had to add it because AI Suite refused to start after installing BD IS 2013. Same applies with 2014 if you upgrade any time soon.

Well worth trying it as suggested with your machine if you haven't already. After adding to exclusions, restart the PC to make it apply the rule properly.

• Hello I have an Asus mainboard which uses AI Suite II. However, it is the latest version for my board under the windows 8 tab from the Asus website and not the supplied outdated DVD.

I have just the AI Suite II executable added the to antivirus settings excluded process list and no BSODs during the system scans. I had to add it because AI Suite refused to start after installing BD IS 2013. Same applies with 2014 if you upgrade any time soon.

Well worth trying it as suggested with your machine if you haven't already. After adding to exclusions, restart the PC to make it apply the rule properly.

I'll give that another shot, unfortunately it didnt work the first time, but they have an updated version I just installed so I'll see what happens.

• I'll give that another shot, unfortunately it didnt work the first time, but they have an updated version I just installed so I'll see what happens.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Been a bit busy. Still no dice on excluding either processes (I excluded every AI Suite executable) or even the entire AI Suite folder.

• Don't worry about the delay, we all have lives ;)

Asus must have made significant changes since AI Suite II. Hopefully the support ticket you opened will result in yourself and Bitdefender Technical Support resolving the issue between you with the help of your support log etc.