Bandwith Hog Problem

Intro - I am now running Bit Defender Anti-Virus Plus 2013, on a Dual Core Windows 7 System with 4 GB of Ram and a bit over 2 TB of Hard Drive. I hope we ALL realize that the Bit Defender Tech Staff are sadly tasked with cleaning up messes left by other software in addition to trying to get their own software to operate as well as possible in sometimes challenging conditions or situations.

When switching from Another Anti-Virus Software package to Bit Defender - I noticed quite a few new problems or concerns. At least one of these problems was certainly caused by the removal software that had to be run in order to get all traces of the previous software (and apparently some necessary system settings - from what I have learned from personally fixing one mess- just to mess with the now X user) off the system.

One of these new concerns might be called a ghost bandwidth Hog, which I noticed that some people in this forum have been working on. To that end I did download and use TCPView to assist in investigating the problem. What i have learned so far is:

1) When Firefox is closed - TCP connections still remain open (and apparently receive data) in a FIN state and do not close on their own. When Youtube (and possibly other flash) videos open, they establish a link that allows data to come in - and keep coming in even when they are (apparently) told to quit.

2) The connections can be closed with TCPview ending the bandwidth hogging without having to reboot. This does not resolve the problem of massive amounts of data being sent that is not needed or likely even used clogging up the bandwidth. and / or not having the connections close on their own when they are no longer needed. This sounds like one or more faulty networking settings or a network protocol driver corruption.

3) Since this started to occur or be noticed a) After Uninstalling the other Anti-Virus software, AND installing Bit Defender - I cannot point a clear finger of 'blame' at either package. It is very likely that either the uninstall / removal of the other Anti-Virus software OR the installation of Bit Defender did or are playing a big role in this problem.

4) What could be or seems to be happening - is after the initial hand-shaking that happens with a flash video, the sending end never ends up receiving / acknowledging or following the 'That enough, Quit, Stop' signal and continues to send some unknown information as fast as it can that is really just lost on the receiving end. The information it sends is not a part of the video being watched - as those are now displayed at about 1/10th or so of the speed that they were before this problem started.

So - I won't be watching You Tube for a while - any suggestions for a more permanent fix for this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Intro - I am now running Bit Defender Anti-Virus Plus 2013, on a Dual Core Windows 7 System with 4 GB of Ram and a bit over 2 TB of Hard Drive. I hope we ALL realize that the Bit Defender Tech Staff are sadly tasked with cleaning up messes left by other software in addition to trying to get their own software to operate as well as possible in sometimes challenging conditions or situations.

When switching from Another Anti-Virus Software package to Bit Defender - I noticed quite a few new problems or concerns. At least one of these problems was certainly caused by the removal software that had to be run in order to get all traces of the previous software (and apparently some necessary system settings - from what I have learned from personally fixing one mess- just to mess with the now X user) off the system.

One of these new concerns might be called a ghost bandwidth Hog, which I noticed that some people in this forum have been working on. To that end I did download and use TCPView to assist in investigating the problem. What i have learned so far is:

1) When Firefox is closed - TCP connections still remain open (and apparently receive data) in a FIN state and do not close on their own. When Youtube (and possibly other flash) videos open, they establish a link that allows data to come in - and keep coming in even when they are (apparently) told to quit.

2) The connections can be closed with TCPview ending the bandwidth hogging without having to reboot. This does not resolve the problem of massive amounts of data being sent that is not needed or likely even used clogging up the bandwidth. and / or not having the connections close on their own when they are no longer needed. This sounds like one or more faulty networking settings or a network protocol driver corruption.

3) Since this started to occur or be noticed a) After Uninstalling the other Anti-Virus software, AND installing Bit Defender - I cannot point a clear finger of 'blame' at either package. It is very likely that either the uninstall / removal of the other Anti-Virus software OR the installation of Bit Defender did or are playing a big role in this problem.

4) What could be or seems to be happening - is after the initial hand-shaking that happens with a flash video, the sending end never ends up receiving / acknowledging or following the 'That enough, Quit, Stop' signal and continues to send some unknown information as fast as it can that is really just lost on the receiving end. The information it sends is not a part of the video being watched - as those are now displayed at about 1/10th or so of the speed that they were before this problem started.

So - I won't be watching You Tube for a while - any suggestions for a more permanent fix for this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Been there done that.. http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=42438

This problem is fixed in the 2014 edition, you should be able to upgrade to it if you still have support. As for me due to their poor support practices I am removing BitDefender

and leaving the forums. I suggest you buy another product.

l8tr.

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭
    Been there done that.. http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=42438

This problem is fixed in the 2014 edition, you should be able to upgrade to it if you still have support. As for me due to their poor support practices I am removing BitDefender

and leaving the forums. I suggest you buy another product.

l8tr.

Well Will, I'm sure somewhere Werby 3 is crying tears of pure joy as he reads your post.

• Well Will, I'm sure somewhere Werby 3 is crying tears of pure joy as he reads your post.
    Hello ozziebear,

Actually, I'm crying tears of deep sadness, being in a paradisaical Greek island (Ikaria-Aegean Sea), because Christian suspended my account for 8 days (it's the 2nd time) again because of the lack of humor (I don't know if this is personal or Romanian issue). Thus, I had to do something with my depression...

Will, as a very clever and connoisseur user, would face this company with the proper way, sooner or later.

BTW, "ghost traffic" issue remains on new BD just because new BD is the old BD with a new name...aand...Ooh my wallet...Who took my wallet? Is it the Photon momentum? :D

My Best!!!

• .....Christian suspended my account for 8 days

Here I thought you had been ip banned, it had been so long :blink:

Will, as a very clever and connoisseur user, would face this company with the proper way, sooner or later.

Will Wood will be missed. The guy was incredible in his Windows OS knowledge...we lost a good one there. :(

• Here I thought you had been ip banned, it had been so long :blink: ...
    Hello Scott,

I have no static IP, thus IP banning is impossible. My account was suspended because I replied to a user's "joke" with a (deleted) joke story, not related to BD issue but surely related to user's spirit about BD issue. I was out of topic, suspended for 8 days and trying to overcome my...depression, I came to Ikaria island, where people live over 100 years (true).

Now, in topic. Above issue (ghost traffic) is still remaining and they're never going to fix it. Why? Ask them...

Greetings from Ikaria :wub:

• I did as suggested in other forum posts and was able to effectively resolve the problem by 'throwing out the baby with the bathwater'. = Renaming BDTL.dll to BDTL.DL_. Or more simply put it is most likely that the Error causing the Bandwidth Hog problem is in one of the functions within BD Traffic Light, whose overall function appears to be intended to warn BD users of potentially problematic sites. If I needed to I am fairly sure I could wander around within BDTL and disable (by renaming the buggy function, with a Hex editor, and suspect that others in these forums could also. I would hope that doing so would not crash the Dll but we could always drop back to overkill.

I am getting the impression (from observations & I used to be a Systems Development Project Lead / Manager) - from the posts of others that something is / has occurred relating to BD's software development team. They may have cut back on available staff, or as computer types can be notorious about being challenging to manage, people may have left. In any case we as users are seeing that taking the initiative ourselves may be needed. The problem is not just with BD. I changed from the other previous # 1 AV software when their SW proved to be very buggy in creating Multi Gig (50+ & growing till C is filled up) hidden log files.

Does anyone else have an interest in fixing issues ourselves - until the Maintenance & Development staff can get back to working on problems like this? We do HAVE to have some AV software - and from what I have seen this one has potential, a couple quick fixes (once we find the probs, & we could be fine. Maybe we could even have a contest with BD Maintenance & Development about who will get the fix done first them or us. :-)

If them all they should really need to do is find the problem function within BDTL - change the first line to a return or Exit Function, re-compile then issue as an update.