Security Widget

Hello,

I have the problem of the Security Widget always getting hid behind other windows. Is there a setting somewhere to make it "always on top"? To me it is pretty useless to have it running but always being out of sight. If there is no way to set it as "always on top", then maybe a setting could be added?

Comments

• Hello,

I have the problem of the Security Widget always getting hid behind other windows. Is there a setting somewhere to make it "always on top"? To me it is pretty useless to have it running but always being out of sight. If there is no way to set it as "always on top", then maybe a setting could be added?

Hello,

+ 1 with you

• Microsoft has stopped widget support. It is not a Bitdefender issue. its a Windows issue. Why would you need to constantly look at the widget anyways?

• Hello,

It is not an issue of "constantly looking at the widget" but more of it being accessible. The way it is now once the widget is hidden behind several windows, it is easier to just open the BD GUI than to access the widget. You either have to minimize several windows as there is not a taskbar icon you can click to bring it to the top. You could also hide it via the tray icon then show it again which would bring it to the top. It is just not easily accessible. I have found it easier to just keep the widget hidden and open and use the main GUI by double clicking the tray icon. To me in order for the widget to accomplish its purpose it has to be readily accessible, which at the moment it is not. It is a lot easier to default to the GUI than to use the widget as for now it gives me no convenience in using it. I have hidden the widget and use the GUI because that is far more convenient now than trying to access the widget.

• If your on Windows 7 just simply click the clear bar on the far right bottom of the taskbar. This will allow you to quickly see your desktop. Also if you press the Windows key + M simultaneously you will get your desktop. Its that easy.

• Hello,

I did not intend to get into a big discussion about different ways to get to my desktop. The two methods you listed (at least on Windows 8) minimize any windows you may have open and gives you the desktop. That does not make it convenient for me as I may have half a dozen or more windows open at any given time, which afterwards all need re-opening. Convenience is being able to keep your windows on the desktop but still easily view the widget. None of these "Its that easy" methods keep the widget on top. If I have to show desktop, minimize and re-open windows in order to get to the widget, I may as well just open the GUI on top of my working windows.

The widget is just a nice extra feature to me and I can live without it. However if the widget had an "always on top" setting, I would use it all the time. For now I will just keep the widget hidden and open the main BD GUI as I need it. If, sometime in the future, the widget gets an "always on top" setting, then I will start using it. No big deal for me either way. I was only asking a question and making a suggestion that would make the widget more appealing to some users, myself included

• Aventador
    edited June 2013
    Hello,

I did not intend to get into a big discussion about different ways to get to my desktop. The two methods you listed (at least on Windows 8) minimize any windows you may have open and gives you the desktop. That does not make it convenient for me as I may have half a dozen or more windows open at any given time, which afterwards all need re-opening. Convenience is being able to keep your windows on the desktop but still easily view the widget. None of these "Its that easy" methods keep the widget on top. If I have to show desktop, minimize and re-open windows in order to get to the widget, I may as well just open the GUI on top of my working windows.

The widget is just a nice extra feature to me and I can live without it. However if the widget had an "always on top" setting, I would use it all the time. For now I will just keep the widget hidden and open the main BD GUI as I need it. If, sometime in the future, the widget gets an "always on top" setting, then I will start using it. No big deal for me either way. I was only asking a question and making a suggestion that would make the widget more appealing to some users, myself included

Ok.Well maybe they can add that feature in just for you. Clicking on the clear bar on the right of the taskbar then clicking it again will bring you right back. Try that.

• Kobac
    Kobac ✭✭
    Ok.Well maybe they can add that feature in just for you. Clicking on the clear bar on the right of the taskbar then clicking it again will bring you right back. Try that.

In Windows 7 one can also use Windows key + D to show the desktop. Pressing the same key combo again will restore all of the previously-opened windows.

• I'm pretty sure a widget is supposed to ONLY be on the desktop. I've used windows widgets before and they're called widgets because they are extra info to put onto your desktop. Am I wrong guys? This guy must not know what a widget is. BitDefender has implemented this correctly as it is on the desktop even though Windows doesn't really support widgets anymore. At least they have a widget.

• Kobac
    Kobac ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure a widget is supposed to ONLY be on the desktop. I've used windows widgets before and they're called widgets because they are extra info to put onto your desktop. Am I wrong guys? This guy must not know what a widget is. BitDefender has implemented this correctly as it is on the desktop even though Windows doesn't really support widgets anymore. At least they have a widget.

Yes, agreed; widgets run on the desktop.

I disabled the Bitdefender widget on my PC since I did not see a need for it and I found it a bit intrusive (blink, blink - here I am!). If I want to access the program, the icon is right in the Notification Area (System Tray). I prefer my antivirus program to stay out of my way unless it has something important to tell me.

• Hello,

The older versions had this ability, the AV+ showing just the scan Activity (file zone), and the Suites also with the Network activity. This was always on top (unless you right clicked on it to hide it) and was small enough to be unobtrusive. I really liked that size and feature, as you could always have an idea of what your PC was doing no matter what windows you had up.

BDScanActivity_zpsd9c13d18.jpg

Even though The New Bitdefender Security Widget is smaller than the 2013 version, in my opinion, it may still be a bit to big to always be on top. Maybe another option would be something in the system tray, that would look like the Zone Alarm activity icon showed: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=134548

A member has submitted a 2 part Feature Request, Always On Top, being one of them: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=42639

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

Hello all,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the Security Widget.

I have created the request to the Testing team and I will now wait for their update. As soon as I will have new information on this case I will post back.

In the meantime, please tell me if this workaround fixes the issue:

In Safe Mode:

- go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Total Security\ (the last part is different based on the Bitdefender product you have)

- right in the right panel > New > DWORD (32 bit) Value

- name it "sab_on_top" (without quotes)

- double click on the new entry "sab_on_top" and enter this Value data: 1

- click OK to validate the changes, then restart the computer

Thanks again, hope you all have a beautiful week ahead!

• lol, :):) that is so cool Georgia, good one, it works wonderfully :)

For those of you like me, who did not know what HKCU is in REGEDIT, it is HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Widgetontop_zps46f2781e.jpg

Georgia, you also had another fantastic work around concerning changing the frequency of BD Updates, and I could only remember your Romanian post. Do you happen to remember where you posted it in the 2013 forum? I saw it, but forgot where it was. Sorry to be off topic with this. http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=192187

Thanks again, have a great day :)

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

You are most welcome, Scott. I am almost positive I posted something similar in the English area of our forums, I will edit the post as soon as I find it.

Edited to say: I think this one.

Let me modify the above entry so that anyone would understand what HKCU stands for.

Thanks for your constant feedback! :)

• columbo
    columbo
    edited July 2013

Yes, that is exactly the link in the English forum I couldn't find. Thank you for taking the time to find that for me, I appreciate it, also for the HKCU edit, and the kind words :)

• By seeing the replies above I would now assume the BitDefender forum isn't impervious to bots posting here advertising websites. Take a look at SEnuke xcr...that's what I'm talking about. Someone delete these posts above.

• antikythera
    edited January 2014

Hello and belated Happy New Year.

I have an issue with the Security Widget manifesting on Windows 8.1 64-bit. See the attached screen grab. The security widget is not hidden when it should be. Instead it is half rendered.

The problem occurs when starting windows and logging on. I have windows 8.1 set to show the desktop by default.

Internet Security 64-bit EN build 17.24.0.1033 in Game Mode with widget hidden.

post-147261-1389654974_thumb.png

• Now I'm not sure why I even bothered posting the above. The entire section seems to be un-monitored. There is spam and people griping about lack of response to genuine posts.

• I've installed total security and it appears to work fine, well almost. The widget will disappear if I load another screen in front of it (explorer, firefox etc.) If I switch back to the desktop the widget disapears. I can only get it back if I right click, select gadgets, at which point it reappears. Additionally, If I open bitdefender by selecting "show" from the menu the main bitdefender screen shows then immediately switches to the settings screen.

Can either of these be resolved?

I've uninstalled and re-installed to no avail. I had to use the downloaded installer as the normal one kept on crashing!

I'm running W7 64-bit on a machine well in excess of the minimum spec.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited April 2014

Hello DWaldie,

The Widget can be set to be permanently on top, but it needs a bit of a workround.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry192368

If I click "Show" from the tray icon I get the attached screen, the only thing that changes on it a second after it loads is the green box top left adding the last scan and last update details.

post-175392-1396909176_thumb.jpg

• Hi DWaldie,

Are you finding this when you have a window open and click Show Desktop from the taskbar, the widget will be gone? Or, after you totally close out of the window? I've had mine set to always be on top for awhile, but I remember that being an issue, a window open, click show desktop, and widget is gone until you totally close the window.

• Rohugh - I get the same screen as you for about a second then it changes to the settings screen with no intervention from me. Weird.

Columbo - You are right. If I close all windows, the widget remains. If I show desktop it disapears. Not sure I want to leave it on top all the time. I'll just have to live with it

Thanks for your help.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited April 2014

You're welcome :)

It's been one of those issues (show desktop, Widget disappears) since the Widgets inception. I'm ok with it, at least I know it's just a glitch and will be there upon closing windows. I've always liked having it on top as to confirm the firewall activity and other scan, update activity. I have it just above the right side system tray and its notifications (taskbar on bottom), and just to the left of scroll bars. It seems to be out of the way there, and of webpage views etc.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just a quick post to let you know that we won't change the security widget behavior.

Our developers informed us that this is the designed behavior: to show the Bitdefender widget on screen after pressing the second time Windows key + D:http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=192142

If it does not show up the second time, then we have indeed an issue.

@ antikythera: is the display glitch fixed on your system with the latest build 17.27?

• columbo
    columbo
    edited April 2014

Not a glitch, intentionally done, ok, at least we (I) know ^_^ Thanks for updating us, Georgia, we appreciate it :)

• antikythera
    edited June 2014

Hello, there are still bugs with the security widget.

Sorry I did not respond to your question Georgia, I was not actively monitoring the forum or indeed using the computers much at all for the last few months which have been somewhat challenging to say the least. I cannot do so either because I removed Windows 8 from that machine and reverted back to Windows 7.

This time the program affected is Bitdefender Antivirus Plus build 17.28.0.1191. What happens is the firewall side of the gadget which has a question mark because it is defunct intermittently fills up with blue activity after starting the system and doesn't clear. See attached.

Screenshot is from Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32-bit. All hardware drivers are up to date and system is fully patched.

post-147261-1404117484_thumb.jpg

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Thank you for your response, antikythera.

From my experience, this display glitch should go away after a Bitdefender repair or product re-installation. Could you please confirm if you have already tried this?

• Hello Georgia likewise thanks for answering. It is a fresh installation carried out at the weekend on a purged HDD so really shouldn't be compromised.

More detail - Bitdefender was installed after Vista SP2 and all subsequent operating system updates were applied.

Windows Defender was also disabled 3 ways. First in it's Admin settings, second I also disabled the startup entry and third at service level so it couldn't interfere and remains that way.

I purged the HDD completely at the weekend when I was installing a new UNIX distribution and re-distributed the space better across the operating systems. The BDAV+ installer was obtained from the offline installer link on 13/06/14 I believe it was build 17.27.X.XXXX.

I did not customise installation or make any settings changes in the GUI. All bitdefender startup entries and services are left as per installation.

After installation I allowed Bitdefender to pull all updates to current build and restarted when prompted.

The glitch is not permanent and only happens occasionally.

Since I also did the same on another machine (W7 x61 SP1 Pro) I will keep an eye on that widget too and report back if the same occurs. At present that machine is in the late stages of a full system backup.

I will give a repair and also a re-install a try (if the repair doesn't work) if you think it may help after reading the above. Please let me know either way. Thanks!

• Update on the above

Today the ATI Radeon X1650 AGP Graphics Card installed in the computer packed up so I have replaced it with a different model (NVIDIA Geforce 6600 AGP) I had in spares stock. It may have been related to that failing. At any rate there are now NVIDIA GeForce display drivers installed instead which may also have a bearing on the above problem.

If the widget corruption continues in the next few days I will post back again. Thank you for your time.

• Update on the above

Today the ATI Radeon X1650 AGP Graphics Card installed in the computer packed up so I have replaced it with a different model (NVIDIA Geforce 6600 AGP) I had in spares stock. It may have been related to that failing. At any rate there are now NVIDIA GeForce display drivers installed instead which may also have a bearing on the above problem.

If the widget corruption continues in the next few days I will post back again. Thank you for your time.

Looks like the graphics card's dying throws took some components on the mainboard with it and is no longer safe to use. Sorry to waste your time Georgia. Looks like it is time to recycle it and start with a new PC build now. It is an ex 9-year old PC...

• I lost the widget from my desktop somehow. How do I get it back? It is not in the recycle bin.

• I lost the widget from my desktop somehow. How do I get it back? It is not in the recycle bin.

Right click the bitdefender task tray icon and choose show widget

• Microsoft has stopped widget support. It is not a Bitdefender issue. its a Windows issue. Why would you need to constantly look at the widget anyways?

Microsoft does not support desktop gadgets anymore (if you don't install 8gadgetpack etc.) but widgets should still show.

• FYI The Bitdefender security widget does not use the vulnerable MS Sidebar or Gadget framework anyhow.