Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd Free Affecting Performance

Options

Today at around 11:00am est all installations of BD Free that I recommended to my friends had to be uninstalled. A total of 12. The only way to fix it was to remove the software in safe mode. The symptoms were that the machines were extremely slow and nothing worked. Internet down email down etc. Note that these were all separate installations ( Win 7, Win XP etc) . Once removed the problem went away. Did anyone else have this problem?

Forgot to add that it would take minutes between applications and the system would not shut down without holding the power button.

Comments

• Today at around 11:00am est all installations of BD Free that I recommended to my friends had to be uninstalled. A total of 12. The only way to fix it was to remove the software in safe mode. The symptoms were that the machines were extremely slow and nothing worked. Internet down email down etc. Note that these were all separate installations ( Win 7, Win XP etc) . Once removed the problem went away. Did anyone else have this problem?

Forgot to add that it would take minutes between applications and the system would not shut down without holding the power button.

The same thing happened to myself and several people I recommended use BD Free. I have spent the better part of the day uninstalling Bitdefender from several computers remotely logging in to them. I would get an error that the uninstall failed. I would reboot in normal mode. It would automatically come back to the uninstall screen and would let me finish. One more restart after finishing before I could then install something else.

• The same thing happened to myself and several people I recommended use BD Free. I have spent the better part of the day uninstalling Bitdefender from several computers remotely logging in to them. I would get an error that the uninstall failed. I would reboot in normal mode. It would automatically come back to the uninstall screen and would let me finish. One more restart after finishing before I could then install something else.

The service gzserv.exe was slowing down the entire machine. Note once again these were all different units at different places. Only safemode worked for me to remove it.

• Glad to see we weren't the only ones... :blink: Several folks using it at my location also had the same issue, initially presented itself as a DNS/internet connectivity related issue, but as we performed more thorough troubleshooting, the non-responsive application and system behavior became more obvious. As mentioned, only booting into Safe Mode would allow for uninstallation and issue was resolved on reboot.

The only thing we could determine is possibly a recent BitDefender update may have been the culprit, also could be tied in with recent Windows updates, although several folks experiencing this issue did not recently install any WUs. I do hope BD acknowledges this issue and provides a solution in the near future. I'd hate to switch to an alternate A/V solution as it's been pretty stellar to this point, but obviously with it literally crippling machine usage, there's no way to possibly use it at this time... :unsure:

• I too have had the exact same experience with Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines. My Windows 8 machine seems unaffected by this issue. I am a PC Tech and have had a few hundred clients switch to this and only two of them have contacted me. I truly hope a Bitdefender engine update will fix this automatically as there are just too many people to contact. Most of which cannot navigate the control panel to save their life. I just wanted to post on this thread to keep it updated.

• Yes I hope BD reads this post as it is spreadingand I do not now how it can be fixed without uninstalling it as the machine is not functional anymore. As mentioned, I referred 12 people and they referred other people. Windows 8 is also affected as several calls I received are using it. I have to tell them to remove the product in safe mode.

• TaoTeShaun
    edited September 2013
    Options

Today was not fun at my IT shop. I had about a dozen computers come in with this issue and spent all day trying to figure it out and kept expecting there to be some crazy new virus in the wild. Alas, it looks like BD was at fault.

So, add me to the list!

Oh, I found that if I just disabled BD (on the systems that would boot in under 15min) then reboot; All is well. I'm just hoping for an update soon since I don't want to be forced to recommend another AV

• Add me to the list. Got a couple people that I also recommended Bitdefender to having the exact same issues. Uninstalled and the problem goes away. Def some sort of botched update somewhere!

• Yes I hope BD reads this post as it is spreadingand I do not now how it can be fixed without uninstalling it as the machine is not functional anymore. As mentioned, I referred 12 people and they referred other people. Windows 8 is also affected as several calls I received are using it. I have to tell them to remove the product in safe mode.

Thanks for the heads up about windows 8, my system must not have the damaged update yet. I quickly uninstalled the AV until this gets resolved. Since the whole F8 thing doesn't work on most Windows 8 systems.

• TaoTeShaun
    edited September 2013
    Options

I'm running Windows 8.1 B) and have no problem personally, but all affected systems in my shop are XP or 7.

• TechNadox
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hi!

Add me and our clients also, i´ve gotten this on both windows 8, windows 8.1 clients and windows 7..

Easy way to fix the problem is to start the bitdefender and select to disable both "Virus Shield" and "Auto Scan" then reboot the machine, then it should be ok again.

IF that dont help i´ve made a small ****** that runs a few checks and then uninstall bitdefender, after this system is ok again.

/ AJ - Nadox.se

• Georgia (http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showuser=34114) -->Instead of removing the fix for this comment this issue that happens to many users. Mostly x64 users of Free version

Since you dont post any update on the issue, dont you know the error exist ?

• Same massive problems here!

Yesterday my internet on my Win7 x64 machine was extremly slow.

Today I did not get connected to the internet anymore. My computer hangs every 20 seconds or so.

I read this thread and deinstalled Bitdefender free. Now everything works again.

WTF!? Now I am loosing face with all people I have recommended this tool. :(

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hello,

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience created.

Yes, this is now a known issue and we've already released a fix for this via product update a couple of hours ago.

Please turn off the Antivirus protection from the main interface and wait for an automatic update. You could also try to reboot the PC and an update will be performed automatically in the next 5 minutes.

Should you need further assistance from our end please do not hesitate to contact us!

• f1charlie
    edited September 2013
    Options

Same problem here on Vista - unable to get onto internet yesterday (5th September) and sluggish PC performance. Had problems doing a system restore but managed to get back to a restore point dated 4th September. PC performance appeared to be restored but Bitdefender was no longer providing protection and unable to turn it on.

Seeing others having problems, partly puts my mind at rest as I thought I had picked up a virus.

I only just switched to Bitdefender a few days ago having read good things about BD's detection rates, but I am now wondering whether I have made the right choice!

• Same issue here on 3 Windows 7 boxes. I've turned off Virus Shield, rebooted, but none are updating, even after a few hours. All showing last update around 11pm yesterday, version 1.0.20.1083.

I rebooted one of them again about 30 minutes ago and it still hasn't updated.

• I have deinstalled Bitdefender Free with the uninstallertool:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=40936

After reading the message above regarding the hotfix I reinstalled Bitdefender Free.

During the installation process the installer tools gets the actual version from the internet.

After the installation I had to reboot my computer.

Ha, my computer is working again with Bitdefender Free in the background.

At the moment the issue seems to be resolved. No problem until now.

Nevertheless Bitdefender Free shows the same version number as before: 1.0.20.1083

My System: Win7 x64

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hello,

For those that encounter the same issue after the update or after rebooting the system, we will need the gzserv.log from the installation folder.

The default location is

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Antivirus Free Edition\gzserv.log

Upload the file on http://sendspace.com or any other file server and post the download link here.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter!

• f1charlie
    edited September 2013
    Options

I had to do the same as Oli W to get Bitdefender back working again, although the icon is now not showing in the task bar.

• Nesivos
    Options

Same here

I am not sure what happened but I lost all internet connection. I did an uninstall of BD AV Free using iObit uninstaller. The BD AV Free uninstall program ran and i selected repair. It said it couldn't repair. I restarted ran the iObit uninstaller again and uninstalled BD AV Free or so I thought. I rebooted was able to connect to the Net. Download BD AV Free from the BD website. Ran the install and it asked again if I wanted to uninstall or repair. I chooses repair again. This time the repair was successful and said I had to restart. I restarted and BD AV Free asked me to login. I logged in to My Bitdefender then BD AV Free said it was updating. A few seconds later it said I needed to restart to finish the update. I restarted one more time and now everything appears fine including internet access.

What a mess. Good luck.

• I can also report, reinstalling the free product has presented no issues on my once effected PCs

• Did the uninstall in safe mode, reboot, and reinstall and it appears to have fixed the problem on a few systems for me as well. The only issue after that was when trying to log back in to Bitdefender I had to quickly type in the username and password because it would reload the little login window every 10 seconds or so and make you have to start over. So far, so good.

• Nesivos
    Options
    Did the uninstall in safe mode, reboot, and reinstall and it appears to have fixed the problem on a few systems for me as well. The only issue after that was when trying to log back in to Bitdefender I had to quickly type in the username and password because it would reload the little login window every 10 seconds or so and make you have to start over. So far, so good.

Now that you mention it I also did the uninstall in the "Safe Mode with Networking" but everything else was done in regular mode

Dat True As I recall it took me three attempts to "beat the clock"

• For me too it was a dark day ... i really thought my computer burned inside , as my openoffice 's session crashed , and all was really slow with no internet connectivity.

First shutdown took about 5 minutes , the reboot maybe 5 more.

No sound , no internet , a freaking windows error ... and everything slow or totally freezing.

I didnt suspect Bitdefender Free Ed. , i was lucky enough to perform with success a system restore under safe mode.

Thanks god my work was safe , and internet was working properly.

After that , Bitdefender was inactivated , with no way to start services.

So i uninstalled it , and i discover this thread today as i was really asking myself what was wrong.

Know what ?

Im afraid to reinstall it now , even if IMHO it was the better free "light" AV , running so well on my old computer without loss of performance.

I was hoping some comments about this major trouble. From a big commercial AV and system's security company , i really think there is a lack of information. There is a message talking about a "fix" , but lost in all the complaints.

This kind of thing really deserves a "sticky thread".

Anyway , as i said , i was really satisfied. But as i am doing important work for graduation , i wont install it again for now.

• Yep,

Basically the same thing here. Slowed down my wife's system like crazy. Uninstalled through add/remove and had the issue of uninstall failed, restarted and uninstall finshed correctly.

Then used the bitdefender uninstall tool to remove the rest of the crap and that worked and DID remove more junk. Then ran the heck out of crapcleaner and it got rid of more yet.

May not be related, but Bitdender and Opera 12.16 do not really appear to like each other when doing speed tests and especially watching any type video. Doing that TOTALLY locked up wife's system once. That's when I removed Bitdefender!

I know Opera 12.16 isn't the most current version, but the new version of Opera absolutely ###### and nobody is using that. Just look in the Opera forums about the newest version for complaints and you'll see what Imean.

• eMarkable
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Hello,

For those that encounter the same issue after the update or after rebooting the system, we will need the gzserv.log from the installation folder.

The default location is

Upload the file on http://sendspace.com or any other file server and post the download link here.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter!

On September 5, 2013 the 10:30AM update in EST did not actually prevent Internet access. It appeared that way but in truth it stopped all non-secure websites. All the affected computers I saw could in fact quickly access https://www.google.com but not http://www.google.com. The slowness is a direct relationship to effectively cutting off all normal (non-secure connectivity). Strange, but they all could PING yahoo.com, and google.com but not actually open the sites in any browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc..)

I was able to fix every one without using safe mode (I am very cautious using safe mode in Windows 7. When a certain bit is flipped Windows 7 insists on forcing a destructive "repair" that I prefer to avoid). Here's how I was able to resolve this:

After boot up and avoiding any Internet, or update I waited for the system to rest, I went to the tray icon (the red "B") and turned off both choices (there are only two in the free version) Next I went to Start-Control Panel-Uninstall... and choose Bitdefender.

Even though it says it 'fails" let it finish, I agreed for it to reboot. After the reboot we no interaction Bitdefender asked for UAC permission (if Windows 7 is on default mode) so I allowed it. Next I got a choice to Repair or Uninstall (the repair did not help so do not choose or your start back at square one) I chose Uninstall and this time a brief Uninstall is successful. It is critical that you wait and wait and wait for Bitdefender to actually generate the reboot don't jump and force it too early. After that reboot Bitdefender Free was completely out.

One last thing, I don't see how any future update from Bitdefender can ever fix this (unless Bitdefender techs had an emergency secure website that could send the update) because the updates come from a non-secure location that cannot be accesed when in this condition. It does leave the average (non-geek) user "high and dry" and "painted into a corner". I hope this helps you remove this paralyzing condition. The Bitdefender engine is the best in the World and I hope this never happens again.

• Today at around 11:00am est all installations of BD Free that I recommended to my friends had to be uninstalled. A total of 12. The only way to fix it was to remove the software in safe mode. The symptoms were that the machines were extremely slow and nothing worked. Internet down email down etc. Note that these were all separate installations ( Win 7, Win XP etc) . Once removed the problem went away. Did anyone else have this problem?

Yes, same thing. About 50 of my 200 customers that have bitdefender AV free installed have been affected. Yes, only repair is to uninstall BD free. I called customer service and it sounded like the 911 call center after the 9/11 attacks. Pure chaos. I've lost 3 days walking everyone through the uninstall procedure. BD free will be on a short leash from now on, the sad thing is there in pure denial. The call tech asked me to look at my logs??? The email response said the same thing???

Um here's the proper response. "We are aware of the problem and the current solution is to uninstall the Bitdefender Free"

The truth will set you free...

• Rampant
    Options

Guys, let's all calm down, such conflicts do happen at all vendors, I have been practicing a lot and I can cite many cases where eminent vendors released update problem - it was with Avast, Kaspersky Lab, and many others. The problem is localized.