Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How To Suspend Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 During Scannow?

Options

I'm using Bitdefender Internet Security 2013.

As part of an effort to solve some chronic driver problems, it's been recommended that I try the "sfc.exe /scannow" procedure. That involves inserting my XP installer DVD when prompted. Each time I try to, Bitdefender insists on trying scan it. I can eventually kill that response, but by then, it has disrupted the procedure and scannow asks me to start all over. Tried everything I could think of to turn off Bitdefender functions and processes. No luck. Suggestions?

Comments

• Try running sfc in windows safe mode. then nothing can interrupt it.

• I'll try that when I get home tonight.

• Turns out it is not possible to run sfc.exe /scannow in Safe Mode. Here's Microsoft on the matter ...

Microsoft.com

In addition, after I rebooted from Safe Mode into normal, the BitDefender services would not start.

This is only getting worse.

• That isn't Microsoft answering. It is a user in their community support pages.

There is a workaround if you get that error message (actually caused by Windows File Protection being disabled) but it involves editing the registry SfcScan value:

http://pc-freak.net/blog/fix-sfc-scannow-e...er-unavailable/

if that fails, there is one other option again using the same registry entry

see post 3 - http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6714

• Both of those links are awesome. I'll try that tonight and let you know.

PS - So, there's a difference between Microsoft and random members of the public [insert image of guy with goofy face] ?

• Yeah that Answers page is the Microsoft equivalent of this Bitdefender user forum.

If when you open the registry you can't find anything called SfcScan listed where it should be, create it yourself as a DWORD. Leave it hexadecimal and Set the value to 2. put the CD in the drive and restart. the CD won't get scanned by Bitdefender and the check will take place properly when you have started windows. don't worry about deleting the DWORD as it automatically changes to a zero value once the scan has run.

• The good news is, this is all resolved. The bad news; I didn't get a chance to try your latest suggestion because one of the links you provided sent me down an alternate trail.

I copied the I386 folder from my XP install disc to the top level of my C drive. Then I edited the registry so that sfc.exe would look there instead of at some other source like the CD/DVD drive. I was able then to run scannow without having to insert a disc, and without Bitdefender ever needing to inspect new media.

Thanks for everything!

• Great news, thanks for sharing your workaround method of choice :)