Bd 2014 Hides My Files And Shows Extensions For Known Files

SlickR
edited September 2013 in General

Hi there. So I uninstall Avast free AV because I read some great reviews of BD2014 and how easy on resources and how good it is with dealing with viruses so I installed the free 30 day trial and on my second day of usage I have this massive problem where I can't have my hidden files displayed and can't hide the "extensions for known file type".

I basically installed it yesterday, run the update and restart, did a fast scan, then a vulnerability scan, but canceled it when it tried to change my update settings without my permission, today I did a full scan which took way too much, 2 and a half hours and just now realized my files are hidden, went to unhide them and can't do it.

EDIT: Okay, so the issue was fixed with restart, but now there is no taskbar icon for BD

Comments

• with regards hidden file extensions, please read this

also when you uninstalled avast! did you run the removal tool in windows safe mode? if not please do so. then try a repair install of Bitdefender and see if it behaves any better.

• with regards hidden file extensions, please read this

also when you uninstalled avast! did you run the removal tool in windows safe mode? if not please do so. then try a repair install of Bitdefender and see if it behaves any better.

Didn't run it, since it doesn't have an option for Avast 8 yet, so couldn't run it then, can't run it now.

• okay fair enough. avast! need to sort that asap

• ibracadabra09
    edited September 2013
    okay fair enough. avast! need to sort that asap

This was a link for old version of Avast uninstall tool, Here is a new version.

• SlickR
    edited October 2013

Okay, since this thread it has happened 3 more times. The real time detection will detect some sort of potentially malicious program(all false positives) and then when it removes them hides hidden files and disables "don't show hidden extensions".

The next time you restart the icon in the taskbar is also missing and sometimes enabling "disable hidden extensions" and enabling to see hidden files doesn't work until restart.

So I'll be uninstalling this antivirus and installing some more stable and bug free one.

And BTW this is after a complete reinstall and manually removing all Avast traces, which were actually minimal anyways, I had to remove only 2 reg keys that had no bearing at all. I uninstalled Bitdefender and reinstalled it clean and the problem continued.

• I just joined the forum only to write about this annoying bug. Whenever bitdefender detects and removes a threat, it resets folder settings. And you can't tick or untick "show hidden files", "show file extensions" until you restart the pc. Basically you have to see all file extensions and can't see hidden files unless you restart the pc. This happens on my both machines whenever bitdefender detects a threat. It also resets internet explorer's homepage to about:blank. I did some research about this issue and really surprised that it's been out there since 2011. And don't really think that it is ever going to get resolved. Switched to another product for now...

• This is absurd, this behavior STILL occurs in March 2015 with BitDefender Free Antivirus! WTF?! Is BD aimed for ****** and ONLY ******?! What's the point of such feature/bug? Such a shame, seemed like a good product at first.. Now I must find my old antivirus installer and start the uninstall-install-dance all over again.. :/