Is It A Con?

When I go to the bitdefender website using my windows 8 laptop it show 2 products.

The bitdefender windows 8 edition and bitdefender total security.

The windows 8 edition is twice as expensive as total security on the UK website.

When I choose the product comparison it only compares between antivirus, internet security and total security. There is no mention of windows 8 security.

All editions appear to be compatible with windows 8.

All this is confusing and putting me off trialling bitdefender.

Can someone please explain why anyone should pay twice as much for the windows 8 edition when all editions appear to be compatible?

Is it more secure? Does it work better? And why isn't it listed in the comparison?

I'm starting to wonder if the windows 8 edition is just an expensive con to get more money off windows 8 users when if you look closely all editions are compatible.

This is all confusing and must be putting a lot of windows 8 users off from trying bitdefender.

Comments

• Ok nevermind.

I decided to give it a go anyway and downloaded the free trial.

What a mistake.

It had a massive impact on system performance, download speeds and ping.

According to speedtest.net my download speeds with bitdefender installed are 1.5megs. Before installing it was 75megs.

My ping has shot up from 10ms to 85ms as well.

This is terrible performance. The worst performance ever from an anti-virus I have tried. Even makes McAfee look fast.

So I've now uninstalled and performance has gone back to normal.

I last tried bitdefender a couple of years ago and uninstalled for the exact same reason. I thought that now I have a new laptop I would give it another ago.

I can't believe that after 2 years that this major performance issue hasn't been fixed.

• Both my wife's windows 7 PC and My Windows 8 pc run BDTS and neither have any performance issues, especially when surfing the net.At the same speedtest.net I am getting a hair over 150meg down on both pcs with a ping of 10-15ms depending on what time of day I test it.

• Both my wife's windows 7 PC and My Windows 8 pc run BDTS and neither have any performance issues, especially when surfing the net.At the same speedtest.net I am getting a hair over 150meg down on both pcs with a ping of 10-15ms depending on what time of day I test it.

I find it odd how it happened a couple of years ago on my old laptop and now it's happening on my new one. Both different manufacturers and both difference versions of Windows.

Maybe there is some software on my laptop that conflicts with bitdefender?

Anyway Bitdefender support couldn't help me fix it a couple of years ago so not going to bother trying this time.

Anyway there was no other security software on my computer which could interfere apart from Windows Defender which was disabled while Bitdefender was installed.

• Ok nevermind.

I decided to give it a go anyway and downloaded the free trial.

What a mistake.

It had a massive impact on system performance, download speeds and ping.

According to speedtest.net my download speeds with bitdefender installed are 1.5megs. Before installing it was 75megs.

My ping has shot up from 10ms to 85ms as well.

This is terrible performance. The worst performance ever from an anti-virus I have tried. Even makes McAfee look fast.

So I've now uninstalled and performance has gone back to normal.

I last tried bitdefender a couple of years ago and uninstalled for the exact same reason. I thought that now I have a new laptop I would give it another ago.

I can't believe that after 2 years that this major performance issue hasn't been fixed.

Have you ever any anti-malware program on your computer other than Windows Defender? If so, how did you uninstall it?

• Have you ever any anti-malware program on your computer other than Windows Defender? If so, how did you uninstall it?

Yes, Norton was pre-installed but was fully uninstalled using both the control panel as well as the Norton uninstaller tool.

Also Malwarebytes free version is on my system and I would never uninstall that no matter what.

• If your affected machine is behind a router equipped with a firewall and that firewall is active you could try setting the Adapter Network type in Bitdefender to Trusted under the Firewall module.

• My sentiments entirely!

I have tried three times getting some sense from Bitdefender as to the difference and all I have for my troubles is that Total Security works on all platforms, performs equally as well, has extra modules (tune up) and costs half the money! But, of course, Windows 8 Security has been 'specially written' for Windows 8! Must be good then...HA!

On the one hand the quality of their products is highly praised, but on the other their support even before buying is truly woeful. If they can't provide a sensible answer to such a simple request of wanting clarity regarding the specifications then I think I'll be giving Bitdefender a miss...

I just thought I should add to this so other doubtful buyers can learn from my mistakes!

When I go to the bitdefender website using my windows 8 laptop it show 2 products.

The bitdefender windows 8 edition and bitdefender total security.

The windows 8 edition is twice as expensive as total security on the UK website.

When I choose the product comparison it only compares between antivirus, internet security and total security. There is no mention of windows 8 security.

All editions appear to be compatible with windows 8.

All this is confusing and putting me off trialling bitdefender.

Can someone please explain why anyone should pay twice as much for the windows 8 edition when all editions appear to be compatible?

Is it more secure? Does it work better? And why isn't it listed in the comparison?

I'm starting to wonder if the windows 8 edition is just an expensive con to get more money off windows 8 users when if you look closely all editions are compatible.

This is all confusing and must be putting a lot of windows 8 users off from trying bitdefender.

• antikythera
    edited October 2013

AFAIK Windows 8 Security, based on 2013 product architecture was released prior to support for Windows 8 (including ELAM) being rolled out across the rest of their 'classic' product line up. The Windows 8 Security package key apparently also works in The New Bitdefender Internet Security.

Anyhow, I recommend The New BDIS or The New BDTS instead as they are cheaper and do the same plus a bit more.

I think the best thing would be for Windows 8 Security as a package to be removed from sale, with people that have purchased it already able to continue receiving support for it.

• BItdefender for Windows 8 is little more expensive but the product is worthy. It is compatible to window 8 and make it more secure.