Quarantined File Not Found In Log

Hello!

A full system scan was conducted by Bidefender a few hours ago. After then, a file that is frequently used, now had the extension "225043.gzquar" added to it.

The "Data Modified" tab of the 225043.gzquar file indicates that, it was modified during the time when Bitdefender full system scan was running. However, no entry regarding this file can be found through Bitdefender's Event Log and Threat Control.

By the judgement of my common sense and with my humble, error-prone assumption, I think this is not working as intended.

If no reply follows, then I will have to accept that this is working as intended, that not all quarantined files are supposed to be recoreded in in the Event Log or the Threat Control; and once files are quarantined, they are not supposed to be restored through Bitdefender, nor through any other methods which an averge user would be capable of using.

Thank you for reading!

Addtional information:

The quarantined file cannot be modified in anyway, include renaming, moving, uploading to skydrive, changing permisson from GUI, changing permisson from cmd;

the quarantined file is also determined to be clean by both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes.

The host system is Windows 8 64-bit, running Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition 1.0.18.1069.

This thread was posted in November 13, 2013, for future readers. This thread might be obsolete for your concern.

Comments

• Additionally, if you don't mind me acting in my own interest, should this feature is working as intended, please instruct me on how to restore the quarantined file.

I have full control of the file, according to the file's properties panel, though I cannot modify the file in any manner, includes uploading the file to skydrive.

Exiting Bitdefender did not give me right to modify the file as well.

• MH2
    MH2
    edited November 2013
    Additionally, if you don't mind me acting in my own interest, should this feature is working as intended, please instruct me on how to restore the quarantined file.

I have full control of the file, according to the file's properties panel, though I cannot modify the file in any manner, includes uploading the file to skydrive.

Exiting Bitdefender did not give me right to modify the file as well.

I suspect it is not working as intended at all.

Incidentally, the product version number you quote (1.0.18.1069) is probably from August - but there appears to have been three version updates since, so the current version is now '1.0.21.1099' (and I believe there have been several updates in-between the released version numbers too).

Normally, the installer should update to the latest version during/shortly after first installation.

Incidentally, 'Exiting' Bitdefender from the taskbar icon does not actually shutdown the Bitdefender protection, it only closes the user interface. To stop Bitdefender protection, you should turn 'Virus Shield' to 'OFF' within the user interface.

I can only suggest two things...

Wait for the program to auto-update to the latest version (or if it doesn't then try a 'Repair/Re-install via the Windows 'Add or Remove Programs/Programs and Features') - this just possibly might bring the quarantined file into the proper place (but I really don't know) - and also it might be worth re-scanning manually after any product update.

Failing that, perhaps try to regain control over the file by booting windows into 'safe mode' - or by booting into a 'rescue disc' OS (often freely available from AV companies like Avira, etc), but be warned that accessing your drive outside of Windows will often break all your 'System Restore Points'.

If you do regain control over the file, then it might be worth uploading it to the 'Virus Total' site in order to see whether or not any other AV companies would classify the file as malware - Note: You may need to disable Bitdefender's 'Virus Shield' temporarily, while accessing the file, otherwise it may immediately quarantine it again.

If you are quite confident that the file is not malware, then you can try to report it to Bitdefender here... False Positive Reporting

Finally, I must say that I stopped using Bitdefender AV Free Edition after just two weeks giving it a chance, because I found it just had far too many problems.

• I suspect it is not working as intended at all.

Incidentally,...

Following your first suggestion, the quarantined file now can be modified, and I was able to restore it to the original file name!

After carefully reading your reply, I manually updated Bitdefender to version 1.0.21.1099, which required several restarts in the process. With the newest version installed, the quarantined file is no longer rejecting any form of modification. I then manually renamed the file, and everything is functional again -- thanks to your generosity and dedication in helping me.

I decided to not report the file as false positive, for it was only quarantined during the full system scan, but was never again detected as a threat when scanning the file along. I also made sure that the file is clean by uploading the file to virscan.org: of 38 different scanning engines, all reported that the file is clean.

I deeply appreciate your efforts and the time you spend in writing the excellent reply! I also had read your other thread in this forum and is again amazed at your dedication toward helping others, in that case, helping the Bitdefender developers.

I considered to follow your decision of moving on to other anti-virus softwares, however, for the time being, I decide to keep Bitdefender for its Virus Shield, and I will use Malwarebytes for further necessary scans.

All problems are now solved with your kindness and brillance, thanks to you again!

• MH2
    MH2
    edited November 2013
    All problems are now solved with your kindness and brillance, thanks to you again!

Cool!

I'm pleased to hear that my "kindness and brilliance" has helped. :)