Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Can't See What Was Infected

Options

A message popped up saying Bitdefender found 13 infected items. I checked the logs and it says found 13, but also says nothing was found. I would like to know what Bitdefender found and removed.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc381/...Bitdefender.png

Comments

• I had an experience similar to that of googs64. After a Full System Scan the log reported that 90 infected items :unsure: were detected. However the same log latter stated no infected items :blink: were found. Which is the case? I verified no files went into quarantine (I did search for *.gzquar files). What could the 90 infected items be? Could infected items be something other than files, e.g., registry entries? Could infected files be deleted and then forgotten or could they be ignored for some reason? I really hope nothing got deleted because I was under the impression that my system was clean. The text in the log follows (files' and directories' names had been omitted and I marked the relevant lines):

An On Demand scan has completed.

The scan took: 03:43:06

Files scanned: 1094436

Infected items detected: 90 /index.php?/topic/22-pr%C3%BCfungsergebnis/#comment-100" rel=""><{POST_SNAPBACK}> :unsure:icon13.gif

Files known to be clean: 54475

Scan Paths

Path

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..
    Status

C:\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    completed

Scan Results

No infected items have been found. /index.php?/topic/22-pr%C3%BCfungsergebnis/#comment-100" rel=""><{POST_SNAPBACK}> :blink:icon12.gif

Ignored items

The following files could not be scanned due to insufficient privileges.

File Name

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Action

c:\...\...\...\...\...\....exe
    . . . . . . . . .
    None (password protected)

c:\...\...\...\...\...\....7z
    . . . . . . . . . .

P.S. I just thought about doing another full scan to see what happens but I am worried about loosing files. A programmed scan (Deep Sweep) found an infected file (eicar) which identified and handled properly, so I am yet comfortable with the normal operation of this software, which in some ways is better than I expected :wub:

• sephstorm
    edited January 2014
    Options

I may be incorrect, but I had this issue on my last install. I believe that BD has issues scanning some files, and therefore marks them as malicious. I don't think its clear whether these files are malicious or not. EDIT: Take a look: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/passwor...-items-422.html Unfortunately the free edition of BD does not clarify these items as just unscannable, it reports them as infected. I may have to contact the testing companies and ask them to include these files in their testing. It goes to FP and detection.

• graciliano
    edited January 2014
    Options

Bitdefender Free Edition does a good job at protection. Yet the scan logs are misleading. I verified this after I downloaded the installer of a very popular web browser plugin from a reputable (clean) website to an empty folder and scanned the folder. Of course, I expected no infection since my Bitdefender Free Edition Virus Shield was ON. The resulting log was:

An On Demand scan has completed.

The scan took: 00:00:11

Files scanned: 94

Infected items detected: 89

Files known to be clean: 0

Scan Paths

Path

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..
    Status

C:\Installs\...\...
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    completed

Scan Results

No infected items have been found.

Ignored items

The following files could not be scanned due to insufficient privileges.

File Name

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Action

c:\...\...\...\....exe
    . . . . . . . . . . . . .

There was no further information in gzserv.log (in Bitdefender's program folder) about infected items. Since Bitdefender avoids to scan the same file, subsequent scans to the same folder reported:

Files scanned: 2

Infected items detected: 0

Files known to be clean: 1

and then:

Files scanned: 0

Infected items detected: 0

Files known to be clean: 0

I checked that the installer file was never changed :)

I have also seen reports where the number of files known to be clean was much higher than the number of files scanned.

My only (small) concern about this product is that it will delete files identified to be infected (possibly a false positive?!) inside un-encrypted compressed files without warning.