Bitdefender Internet Security, Constant High Disk Usage (100%)

Bitdefender Security Service is constantly taking a lot of percentages of my hdd. Especially when using Windows Explorer and trying to install a program it takes many many minutes to install, and uses 100% of my hdd. Taskmanager shows red rows and column. In Safe Mode I don't have any problems using Windows Explorer and installing any program. So, what is happening here?

Comments

• Pingk
    edited January 2014

Switched from Norton 2013 internet security to Bitdefender internet security 2014.

I ensured the Norton was completely uninstalled before installing BD (Used Norton's own remover tool).

I've found that on default settings, BD using a constant 100% disk usage even when not running any scans, and it is causing my computer to be slow when using any other program.

Why does this happen and how can I fix it?

I use Windows 8.1 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro L870-17X.

Also, is there a way to schedule system scans rather than have them in the background?

• Pingk
    edited January 2014

[FIXED]

Restarting the computer seems to have solved it, at least in the short term; though the restart itself took over a minute, possibly because of the disk use.

Will keep track of it to see if it happens again (Could be an escalating problem due to the computer being on for a long time?).

• antikythera
    edited January 2014
    [FIXED]

Restarting the computer seems to have solved it, at least in the short term; though the restart itself took over a minute, possibly because of the disk use.

Will keep track of it to see if it happens again (Could be an escalating problem due to the computer being on for a long time?).

Hello, in windows 8 and 8.1 for a complete shut down (clearing fast boot cache and hibernation files) hold down the shift key while tapping or clicking on shut down.

It can help a lot. I do it once a week because windows 8 and 8.1 don't really shut down and cache everything for faster resuming. This means all the built up rubbish bogging down the PC as well.

To prevent scans from running themselves in the background you need to disable autopilot. To then schedule a scan, click on manage scans and follow the dialogues.

• Hello, in windows 8 and 8.1 for a complete shut down (clearing fast boot cache and hibernation files) hold down the shift key while tapping or clicking on shut down.

It can help a lot. I do it once a week because windows 8 and 8.1 don't really shut down and cache everything for faster resuming. This means all the built up rubbish bogging down the PC as well.

To prevent scans from running themselves in the background you need to disable autopilot. To then schedule a scan, click on manage scans and follow the dialogues.

Ahh, I didn't know that, thanks.

Yeah, it definitely seems to be as a result of autopilot; when background scanning starts it doesn't turn off when you come back to the computer...

• I have noticed that after my post someone with almost an identical issue posted a message regarding high disk use aswell. He was replied to. One of the replies stated to turn off autopilot and go into user mode. I have done this but Bitdefender is constantly resetting to autopilot. How do i turn on user mode permanently?

• +1

same Problem here, Bitdefender uses 100% of one of my HDDs

Windows takes ages to shutdown

Windows 8.1

Bitdefender Internet Security 17.24.0.1033

Engine 7.52981

• +1

same Problem here, Bitdefender uses 100% of one of my HDDs

Windows takes ages to shutdown

Windows 8.1

Bitdefender Internet Security 17.24.0.1033

Engine 7.52981

• Hello all,

An important Bitdefender update was recently released and the issue you encountered should be solved with this new build.

The Bitdefender build number is 17.25.0.1074 (please right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

If the build number does not correspond, please follow these steps:

1. Open the Bitdefender window either from the Desktop shortcut or by clicking on the Windows Start button -> All Programs -> Bitdefender -> Bitdefender Antivirus Plus / Internet Security / Total Security;

2. Select the 'Update Now' option;

3. Wait for the Update to complete;

4. Once the update is completed you need to reboot your machine (you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module);

5. Once the computer is restarted, please try to reproduce the issue.

If the issue still persists with the build 17.25.0.1074, please upload to www.sendspace.com a support tool log and reply with the download link to further investigate the case:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...t-log-1168.html

Thank you.

• I have the latest update but so far nothing changed. BD still uses 100% hdd, talking about approx. 20 MB which is scanned, while my hdd is 2 TB. And it resets itself persistently to Autopilot eventhough i click to usermode.

What is BD doing what takes so much hdd use?

• I have the latest update but so far nothing changed. BD still uses 100% hdd, talking about approx. 20 MB which is scanned, while my hdd is 2 TB. And it resets itself persistently to Autopilot eventhough i click to usermode.

What is BD doing what takes so much hdd use?

I just installed it on my new laptop. Same issue. Pulled up the resource manager and found BD had over 1900 files open (assuming it was scanning them all, or trying to). CPU usage was approx. 10%.

System was running extremely slow. No wonder, it couldn't get to the disk! One would think BD would throttle down it's disk access. With CPU speeds so fast now the new bottleneck is access to the disk.

• I had an issue with intermittent high CPU usage on BitDefender vsserv.exe as shown in Process Explorer. Needless to say it slowed the machine way down. BD Tech Support worked with me for at least a couple of months. I did two removals/installs, ran a number of programs. These seemed to help then the issue reappeared.

I finally resolved the matter by requesting a refund and buying Norton 360. To BD's credit they did issue me a full refund despite the fact that I had been using the product. No prorating was done. While the issue was never solved they never just cast me aside. I thought I would mention this here because too often people complain but never compliment. I really would have preferred to stay with BD but I couldn't live with the high (98% plus) CPU usage.

• Hi there...I'm having this exact same problem. I don't think I have the latest update. But if this problem keeps popping up, I'm just going to uninstall the whole thing. And use the built-in Windows 8.1 virus protection (I realize that isn't a great virus protection, but my computer is just way too SLOW.