Autoscan Cripples My Machine

It appears I have no way of controlling how often the Antivirus Autoscan runs. It's run three times already today, each time causing all my open applications to freeze or slow down drastically. I don't want the autoscan running at all during work hours but I see no option to control it.

Note that I ran a full system scan yesterday and it completed with no issues. I'm running Windows 8 and I submitted a support ticket with full details but I wanted to know if this is an issue with the software. What I really just need is to be told how to prevent the autoscan from running during the day while I'm working.

Comments

• It appears I have no way of controlling how often the Antivirus Autoscan runs. It's run three times already today, each time causing all my open applications to freeze or slow down drastically. I don't want the autoscan running at all during work hours but I see no option to control it.

Note that I ran a full system scan yesterday and it completed with no issues. I'm running Windows 8 and I submitted a support ticket with full details but I wanted to know if this is an issue with the software. What I really just need is to be told how to prevent the autoscan from running during the day while I'm working.

I'm having the same problem on a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 8.1. Autoscan runs constantly. Sometimes it will finish and then start running again 10 minutes later. I've been using Bitdefender Total Security 2014 for several months now so it should not be scanning so frequently. I just submitted a support ticket to customer service. I've googled the problem and see where others are reporting it on various forums but there doesn't seem to be any resolution to it.

I've temporarily uninstalled Bitdefender and I'm currently using Webroot SecureAnywhere until I can get the problem with Bitdefender resolved.

• Have you considered turning off auto-scan?

Then set a schedule for when and what type of scan you want.

• mrbee
    edited May 2014

I know this a few weeks old now, but I have the same issue, BD absolutely cripples my laptop if I leave Idle Scan enabled. and it always kicks in when I am actually doing something, on more than one occasion I have simply had to reboot the machine to make it usable again. Another thing that cripples it is the updating, sometimes it takes ages, to be honest its become a real PITA.

Surely the point of the Idle Time Scan is to do it when the machine is idle? And if I begin using my machine again, the scan should stop immediately or at least allow us to kill it manually if we choose, but there's no icon as with managed scans, as for the updating, if BD sees above a certain % of CPU/System usage then it should back off and lower its priority until usage drops again or we should be able to set how often BD looks for an update as again it kicks in sometime when I'm right in the middle of something and brings me to an almost grinding halt, its all becoming rather frustrating.

I have of course now disabled auto scan/idle scan along with scan network shares (another pain in the butt kicking in every time I connect to one of my various NAS/Shares)...I also disabled vulnerability scan, another PITA...I have set up quick scan and full scan schedules.

I/We should not have to fight the security suite for control of my/our machine(s), and though I grant you my laptop is no muscle machine, neither is it a bottom of the barrel job;

It is an i3-3220m running with 8GB DDR3 1600 @ T1 and 1TB HDD (though only 5400rpm), and to my mind this should more than enough to stand a half decent load under general usage and it does, generally, until BD wakes up and murders it.

I am sadly disappointed that BD seems to have gotten in the way of my working space/time, I have found it intrusive and disruptive.

I am really very regretful that I moved from the big K after a buddy recommended BD to me, I can at least hopefully sit out the subscription, only another 11 months to go :| ... Or maybe change my mind about BD...

MrBee

• mrbee
    edited May 2014

Even though I disabled a few things, I have removed it from my laptop, I can stand it no longer, the updates are just ridiculous and just murder everything that's going on at the time and I have had to restart the laptop on more than one occasion to get the thing to stop as about half the time its such a hog that even pressing the stop update does nothing...and even that is of no use sometimes as within a couple of minutes of firing back up, BD kicks in yet again trying to update, whilst all the boot process stuff is going on and crippling my laptop yet again for gawd knows how long, my HDD is running 100% when it kicks in and I'm hitting queue lengths of 50...and yes it actually hits 50 and the list of disk activity is filled with BD processes...it has become a real PITA.

I simply cannot have a machine that gets in the way of my computing, and I'm sick of waiting for BD to finish whatever the heck its doing next...I'm going back to the Big K I never had this issue before using BD...

Thanks all

• Even though I disabled a few things, I have removed it from my laptop, I can stand it no longer,

I'm about to reach the same conclusion. I recently purchased it but don't like it at all. I'm on a gaming laptop and it slows to a crawl quite often and the only thing I've changed it ###### Bitdefender AntiVirus Plus. I think I turned off Idle Scan and it still interrupted me scanning, I'll try again. I want an anti virus to stop the viruses, not scan my system all the time. I can run it manually at the end of the day. I dumped Avast after all these years because it decided I couldn't use Google for my search engine. :-(

• Have you considered turning off auto-scan?

Then set a schedule for when and what type of scan you want.

OF course you have the constant warning that your system is unprotected if you disable auto scan. I tried running a manual scan and gave up after 5 hours at 26%. I have never seen an Anti Virus program so slow and intrusive. Sorry I paid for it.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Please replicate the issue, then generate a support tool log. Post it here to see what is wrong:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com or http://www.speedyshare.com

and post the download link.

If you were already asked to generate these logs, disregard the above message and just post the ticket ID.

Thank you.

• Same problem here. Windows 7, 64 bit.

I've been using Bitdefender since a couple of years now. But with the 2014 version it has really become a PITA!

Normally I'm not easily convinced to start complaining on a forum (I'm getting used to switch off Idle Scan and Auto-update and btw I REALLY dislike the "your system is in danger messages or the orange Bitdefender icon, thanks I know... I turned it off myself!) but as you can see: my patience-level is running dry now...

This morning my system downloaded 4 updates... During each of which I had to sit and watch, waiting to regain control.

The cure (BD) is getting worse than the disease (the viruses)

I know I know, Georgia.... "Please file a status report!"

But what the heck?! I cannot replicate it. It happens randomly (when Autoupdate and Iddle scan is on)

And clearly I'm not alone. Besides I don't have time/mood to install and figure out what you have to do.

I would assume that with so many complaints you would already have figured out what is wrong with this version by now?

It's been really working great in the past.

So you still have some credits.

But I'm this close by dumping it all and looking for an alternative.

End of rant.

• But I'm this close by dumping it all and looking for an alternative.

I switched to Webroot Secure Anywhere and haven't looked back. It never gets in the way and when it does scan it is very fast.

It's funny, I'm getting "renewal" emails from Bitdefender because my subscription is about up. Yeah, like I'm going to cripple my machine again! :rolleyes: