Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Update Error

Options

Im using BitDefender IS 2008, and when I try to update manually, I get a error message saying:

Update cancelled. Stop the running scan process and retry.

I know I can uncheck the box in the settings tab, but I would prefer not to do so because I read that doing this might abort the scan if its running. At the moment I have my scan set to run early in the morning, and I cant have my resources allotted to system scans during the day.

Also I checked the scan tab under anti-virus, and there is no scans running at the time I tried to do manual update; so my question is what exactly is the problem why I cant update with the option checked(Update/ Settings/ Advanced Setting): Dont update if scan is in progress?

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Dear frazbox,

The problem is that during an update also product upgrades need to be applied and that isn't possible when a scan is running because these files are in use at that moment that needed to be updated.

A possible reason is that uiscan.exe is still running in task manager.Sometimes it happens that an entry is still loaded in the memory that cause this message even when you don't see the scan screen. Also the scanning screen can be also located near the system clock. Ohterwise you can update without any problems with that option checked.

Best regards

Niels

• so can i end the process in task manager??

• alexcrist
    Options

Yes, you can. But it would be better to let it finish scanning. ;)

Cris.

• Niels
    Options

Dear frazbox,

Yes,only when you still have that error message when you closed the scan screen.

Best regards

Niels

Cris,

Sometimes even when you close the scan screen uiscan is still under the running processes in task manager.

Niels

• s4u
    Options
    Cris,

Sometimes even when you close the scan screen uiscan is still under the running processes in task manager.

Niels

That's correct although I think it's a bit strange

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited February 2008
    Options

I never noticed this. But I'll keep an eye out about this from now on. :)

BTW...is this sometimes related to anything is particular? Or it's just something random?

Anyway, frazbox asked if the process can be killed from TaskManager, not only to close the GUI. In this case, the process will be 100% terminated :P

Cris.

• Niels
    Options

s4u,

I also can't find an explanation why that happens. But you are not able to update untill you end the uiscan.exe process(es) or if you reboot your pc.

Niels

Cris,

This happens often when you right click on a folder or an installer if you want to use BitDefender contextual scanner. It also can happen during a normal scan but that is very rare it also happens if you have Anvir Task Manager installed.

Niels

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited February 2008
    Options
    This happens often when you right click on a folder or an installer if you want to use BitDefender contextual scanner. It also can happen during a normal scan but that is very rare it also happens if you have Anvir Task Manager installed.

OK... I had a hunch what why this might happen, and what you said kinda confirmed it.

My assumption goes like this: un-packing an installer/archive/CD-DVD image/whatever-archived-file-format takes time (from less then a second to tens of seconds, depending on format and size).

In previous versions, when the un-packing began, if you clicked Cancel on a scan, it wouldn't immediately stop. Instead, it would display the text Stopping... and would finish the current action. In other words, the scan didn't stop while a file was scanned. The scan stopped after the current file's scan was finished (which, in case of an archive, meant that the scan would stop after the unpacking was finished).

Now...in BD2008, I assume nothing is changed about this, except that the interface (the GUI is closed). But, on the inside, the engine works the same. So, somehow, if you try to cancel the scanning while it unpacks something, it might get stuck there.

I'm not saying that this is normal, but at least it's a probable explanation (I marked probable because, as I said, this is only an assumption).

So what do you think? Could this be correct?

Cris.

P.S.: I made lots of folder scanning, through context scan. And I never experienced this. Maybe those folders also contained some packed files. Because you said often, I assume it doesn't happen to all folders, right?

• Niels
    Options

Cris,

It only seems to happen when there indeed are packed files inside. I agree with what you said. I retried it with a normal folder and I doesn't had any problem.

Niels