How To Allow Windows 8.1 Universal Search Through Firewall

Windows 8.1 shows the results from Bing search together with local results when the user uses its "Everywhere" search. What I noticed was that when the Bitdefender Firewall is turned ON, I cannot get the results from internet. It says

"Your PC isn't connected to the Internet right now. Check your network connection and try again."

BUT, when I turn OFF the Bitdefender Firewall, the internet search function starts functioning correctly. I don't know what app I should allow or what rules should I change to allow the internet search through the firewall. Please suggest a solution.

P. S.

I have set all the General Rules in the Firewall Rules section to "Allow." It looks like

DNS over UDP ........... Allow

DNS over TCP ............ Allow

Windows Explorer Traffic on HTTP .... Allow

Windows Explorer Traffic on FTP .......Allow

Comments

• Hello,

We recommend you to make sure that the Firewall settings are allowing the PC communication with the internet, as follows:

- open Bitdefender, go to Firewall panel and make sure it is turned ON

- click on "Manage adapters" and locate the adapter. It is either Local Area Connection if the device is connected by cable or Wireless Area connection if it is a wireless device

- for this particular adapter please set :

* Network type to Home/Office

* Stealth mode to Off

* Generic to YES and click Close

Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

• Hello,

We recommend you to make sure that the Firewall settings are allowing the PC communication with the internet, as follows:

- open Bitdefender, go to Firewall panel and make sure it is turned ON

- click on "Manage adapters" and locate the adapter. It is either Local Area Connection if the device is connected by cable or Wireless Area connection if it is a wireless device

- for this particular adapter please set :

* Network type to Home/Office

* Stealth mode to Off

* Generic to YES and click Close

Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

That didn't work. [Turning the firewall off still works.]

• Same problem, cannot access Interne after updating to windows 8.1 and having the firewall turn on.

I tried the settings specified by Georgia, but it does'nt work.

I could get Internet access only if I turn off my firewall...

• I'm having this same problem. there isn't much info anywhere on how to get it to work. i tried what Georgia suggested but that didn't help at all.

• Hello,

To further investigate this case, please post here a support tool log.

The support tool executable supporttool.exe is found in this location: C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender

You may not be able to upload the file here as it is too big so you can put it on www.sendspace.com and post the download link.

Thank you!

• I have the same problem...

Winodes 8.1/64bit: Trying to use the Windows Charmbar Search ends in the "not connected to the Internet" Error. Turning the Firewall off fixes this but isn't a useable solution anyway.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/68wqzu

I just hope that your tool don't collects any sensible data and that this file isn't accessable to everyone in this forum. (the NSA probably alrady has it already :P )