Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Question About Bitdefender Possibly Taking Out My Firefox Browser

Options

I have Bitdefender free version 1.0.21.1099, I am running Windows XP, I did a scan today and it seems to have taken out my Mozilla Firefox web browser setup that I default use, now Firefox starts up like I've never been on Firefox before, no bookmarks, no start up page, etc. and when I do try to go to a website it just sets and grinds away and doesn't go there, pops up (Not Responding). I am now having to use Internet Explorer. It must have taken out some things? Has anyone experienced such, any suggestions? I can't find a way to just go back to a restore point if possible? I did see Bitdefender took out a LOT of windows temp files it the Bitdefender log, but don't know how to restore them or if that would even help? Also, another note, when I hit ctrl, alt, del to bring up task manager it comes up not all there right either?

Comments

• I have Bitdefender free version 1.0.21.1099, I am running Windows XP, I did a scan today and it seems to have taken out my Mozilla Firefox web browser setup that I default use, now Firefox starts up like I've never been on Firefox before, no bookmarks, no start up page, etc. and when I do try to go to a website it just sets and grinds away and doesn't go there, pops up (Not Responding). I am now having to use Internet Explorer. It must have taken out some things? Has anyone experienced such, any suggestions? I can't find a way to just go back to a restore point if possible? I did see Bitdefender took out a LOT of windows temp files it the Bitdefender log, but don't know how to restore them or if that would even help? Also, another note, when I hit ctrl, alt, del to bring up task manager it comes up not all there right either?

I would not try to restore any detected files unless you were certain they were false positives. Bitdefender Free Edition would restore them automatically if they were found to be so. Your system was probably infected. Install a a new copy of Firefox. If Windows operating system is corrupt, you may try running

sfc /scannow

from the command prompt to fix any corrupt system files.

• I would not try to restore any detected files unless you were certain they were false positives. Bitdefender Free Edition would restore them automatically if they were found to be so. Your system was probably infected. Install a a new copy of Firefox. If Windows operating system is corrupt, you may try running
     sfc /scannow

I will try the scan code. Thought about installing a new FireFox, But how can I get back my bookmarks and saved websites in the tabs with the passwords? allen@tennesseeland.com

• I will try the scan code. Thought about installing a new FireFox, But how can I get back my bookmarks and saved websites in the tabs with the passwords? allen@tennesseeland.com

Started running the scan as you suggested shows a bar under Windows File Protection, got about a tenth the way started and then another window popped up and states: Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache

Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now.

Now I ahve no idea where that might be? Wonder what may have changed? It was running "OK" till I did the virus scan.

• I will try the scan code. Thought about installing a new FireFox, But how can I get back my bookmarks and saved websites in the tabs with the passwords? allen@tennesseeland.com

As far as I remember, installing a new Firefox won't override your old profile and it is just like updating. I cannot offer help on recovering lost data. Besides your logs, your quarantined files may offer a clue on what happened, but I cannot say if you may be able recover anything from them. You may find better help on a Firefox forum.

Best of Luck!

• Started running the scan as you suggested shows a bar under Windows File Protection, got about a tenth the way started and then another window popped up and states: Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache

Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now.

Now I ahve no idea where that might be? Wonder what may have changed? It was running "OK" till I did the virus scan.

You may find help about running system file check (sfc) on this page (www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html).

Again: Best of Luck!

• I'm on Windows 7 and I have seen this problem. After Bitdefender Free Edition (2014) completed an Auto Scan, I noticed that my Modzilla Firefox started with a default profile as if I just installed. I lost all my bookmarks, add-ons, and customized settings. I believe Bitdefender removed or quarantined the profile.ini file which points to the Firefox folder.

What you should do is go to c:/Users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles. You should find a personalized folder e.g. xxxxxxxxxx.yourname. All your bookmarks and add-ons and customized settings are stored there.

Close Firefox browser.

From Windows 7 Run dialog box, type: firefox.exe -p.

You should find that there is only one profile, Default. This is not what you want. Bitdefender probably deleted/quarantined the profile.ini so it cannot find your personalized folder.

Create a new profile. Then Google search for instructions on how to copy the contents of your old profile folder into this newly created profile. When you next start up Firefox, all your old settings should come back.

• I would not try to restore any detected files unless you were certain they were false positives. Bitdefender Free Edition would restore them automatically if they were found to be so. Your system was probably infected. Install a a new copy of Firefox. If Windows operating system is corrupt, you may try running
     sfc /scannow

How do I see the quarantined files in Bitdefender Free Edition? There is very limited control settings and I can't find any quarantine folder. How would Bitdefender know what to restore if the user don't manually release the file? Bitdefender quarantined it in the first place, why would it automatically restore it?

Are you talking about Bitdefender full version? Because on the Free Edition (which is what this sub-forum is about), there is no settings to see the quarantined files.

• How do I see the quarantined files in Bitdefender Free Edition? There is very limited control settings and I can't find any quarantine folder. How would Bitdefender know what to restore if the user don't manually release the file? Bitdefender quarantined it in the first place, why would it automatically restore it?

Are you talking about Bitdefender full version? Because on the Free Edition (which is what this sub-forum is about), there is no settings to see the quarantined files.

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition may want to restore a false positive (see the notes for release of version 1.0.20.1083)! I Wrote here about accessing quarantined files.