[submitted to Development] Update Problem

i got the BIS 2014 installed and since after the last update to 1106 when i go to update module and update myself I do not see the blue line showing update percentage, I did a repair but same thing program works anyways but just that problem keeps it sometimes running in processes longer. I don't want to re-install completely in case I can't install program at all like my last problem. Any ideas? thks

Comments

• i got the BIS 2014 installed and since after the last update to 1106 when i go to update module and update myself I do not see the blue line showing update percentage, I did a repair but same thing program works anyways but just that problem keeps it sometimes running in processes longer. I don't want to re-install completely in case I can't install program at all like my last problem. Any ideas? thks

same thing happened to me since the last update for the latest build. Thats why i completly reinstalled bitdefender IS. Looks like the problem is gone BUT i will wait to see and manually do other update today.

• Hiya,

I just ran an update, it sat for a while checking then completed so I presume there was no update and as the download line didn't appear nothing was downloaded. When you ran your update was the Download kb or the Total kb figures showing anything and did it give an update completed in the Events>Update?

• still the same problem i dont see the ''blue bar'' when i download... i see the KB number but not the blue bar... and this after a reinstallation

the update process is ok but the blue bar isnt and this after the latest build.

must assume its the same for everyone ?

• second manual update : same problem. thats not my computer its bitdefender

• Hiya,

I just ran an update, it sat for a while checking then completed so I presume there was no update and as the download line didn't appear nothing was downloaded. When you ran your update was the Download kb or the Total kb figures showing anything and did it give an update completed in the Events>Update?

the update is completed in events... nyway i dont care about the blue bar but its missing... so?

• Thks for reply, seems it is a problem after last update. I don't care either about a blue bar but it is taking longer to update and taking more processes.

• Hi village :)

Thanks for starting this thread, as I finally noticed it a couple of times today, no blue progress bar. The updates are installing (checked the last update log), just not showing the bar. For me, I do care, as I requested to get that back. So hopefully they can get this resolved in a soon to follow update.

As far as it taking longer or using more processes, so far hasn't been a issue on my end.

• Same here as of this post it just updated 2505.7kb and no blue bar, speed was fine for me no issues there.

i have auto update turned off so i can watch the DL.

• Updated again no progress bar.

• It may take them about 2-4 days to consider this thread and come up with a fix. It should be fairly easy for them to resolve....hopefully ^_^

• Right it's no security issue.

• No problem Columbo, I am also starting to care about the bar,can't tell if it is downloading or not

• daman1
    edited March 2014

I wish they would at least acknowledge "hey yea we no about it stay tuned" <_<

• Mallard65
    Mallard65 ✭✭✭
    I wish they would at least acknowledge "hey yea we no about it stay tuned" <_<

+1

• Moldoveanu Marius
    Moldoveanu Marius Senior QA Engineer ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014

starting 17.26.0.1106 there is an improved internal update mechanism. It should be more friendly on cpu usage. A sideback appears to be the progress bar movement for signature download.

As long as you do not have an error in events for the update, it should be ok.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2014

Thank you Moldoveanu Marius, for stopping by and letting us know what's going on. As long as it's an improvement in the update process and its CPU usage, we appreciate it. Yet, hopefully you aren't talking in your meetings that this issue can no longer be resolved with the new improvements, as I like seeing the download progress and the file size and it's download progress, as of now, we see neither. I don't want everything to be totally "silent", in our security ^_^

BDProgressbar_zps8d9ab8ab.jpg

• Good to have the official word on this. :) My view is that I am not worried about seeing the update bar as I only check the GUI occasionally to ensure that the updates are coming through from the Settings>Update section. However, I understand that many want to see the file size/bar movement happening so I agree it would be nice to have in re-enabled if possible.

• Moldoveanu Marius
    Moldoveanu Marius Senior QA Engineer ✭✭✭
    Thank you Moldoveanu Marius, for stopping by and letting us know what's going on. As long as it's an improvement in the update process and its CPU usage, we appreciate it. Yet, hopefully you aren't talking in your meetings that this issue can no longer be resolved with the new improvements, as I like seeing the download progress and the file size and it's download progress, as of now, we see neither. I don't want everything to be totally "silent", in our security ^_^

BDProgressbar_zps8d9ab8ab.jpg

:D We are talking about it and a decision will be made.

• lol, that's what I thought ;) Thank you for you honesty though :)

• daman1
    edited March 2014

Ok great,,but how hard is it to put back the progress bar with out sacrificing CPU? for BD i'd think it should be pretty simple all other vendors have it, some updates still lag take time with out it.

• Progress bar and or number amount of download would be good,still none though .

• Right..im not going to go into logs all the time to check and see if my program updated properly,,come on BD really?

• Right..im not going to go into logs all the time to check and see if my program updated properly,,come on BD really?

Moldoveanu Marius has said they are discussing it, it has no effect on our security at the moment and let's face it the majority of users don't even see or worry about updates as they are all done in the background. If they do decide to sort the download bar it is going to take some time before they are able to re-enable it with a product update, I am sure it is not a five minute job. ;)

I am quite happy to wait.

• Right i read that but to even need to discusse it is odd,every other vendor or program has it, any novice users whould know whats going on with a instant visual.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2014
    Right i read that but to even need to discusse it is odd,every other vendor or program has it, any novice users whould know whats going on with a instant visual.

I agree, in the sense their discussing on whether to bring it back or not, IMHO (i.e compared to repairing it). When the 2013 version came out, it did not have the progress bar (see image #2 below, Update Panel), only a spinning wheel. At one point, BD did some upgrade maintenance on the Update servers that really has us spinning in circles for days. The Update wheel kept spinning without any idea of what it was trying to download, it was lasting 20-30+ minutes at a time: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=155586

That is the reason why we asked for it back: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=37272

If it isn't "repaired", we still have 3 options:

• Check the Update log files.
    • Enable Security Widget to "always be on top", in which case you can see an update occurring. I have mine just above the System Tray and to the left of the web page scroll bar, it really doesn't get in the way there. It can also be easily disabled and enabled (X out, and right click BD system tray icon/Hide/Enable Security Widget).
    • Enable Prompt before installing in Update/Settings (image #1). With this option, you would probably want to set your signature Updates to at least every couple of hours, so it doesn't drive you nuts with the pop ups.

Suiteupdate.jpg

BDReposition.jpg

• Thanks Columbo, right i do have the widget on desktop also but the blue spinning wheel tells its searching and not necessarily updating anything, but no matter we'll see what they decide on.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2014

You're welcome. Right, as far as searching, but when you have it set to check for updates every hour or two (in my case, every hour) it will always be downloading something.

• well bitdefender should delete this black empty rectangle ...whats the purpose of that thing if there is no blue bar.

• Hello everybody.

I am using "Bitdefender Antivirus Plus".

I do not use the auto update. I manually update my "Bitdefender Antivirus Plus" every morning.

Now, for some reason, when I do an update, that blue progress bar no longer appears as I am downloading the update and it takes at least 4 times longer to download the update.

Even when it's only 6,000 KB's.

I have tried a "repair" and that even made it worse. So I uninstalled it using Bitdefender's Uninstall Tool and re-installed it.

After re-installing it, during the first initial update, that blue progress bar was there working and it was showing the download count.

Plus it downloaded it fast as usual. But then all the other following update downloads were just like I have described above.

I have a 3 computer license and all 3 of the computers here run the same operating system, and all 3 are doing the same thing.

One is using an Ethernet cable and the other 2 are wifi. So it is not specifically directed at one computer. They are all doing it.

Is anyone else having these problems and if so, do you know what's going on and if there's a fix?

I am running Windows7 Home Premium 64bit operating system.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers!!!

• Hiya Harleyrider,

Whilst I don't know your reasons for a slow manual update, the problems with the blue update bar is known, it was reported and it is something Bitdefender are at present looking at - so yes, none of us are seeing the update bar working.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2014

Here is the thread Rohugh is alluding to: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...=52453&st=0

We may or may not be getting the blue bar back, we'll see. Notice the response at the bottom of this reply from Moldoveanu Marius: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=211087

As far as why it's taking so long, give it another day or two, it may just be a server issue?

• Harleyrider, having re-read your original post, yes, when you did a total re-install of BD, the blue progress bar shows until it installs that big update, which included the "update" to disable the blue progress bar. That is why after that 1st initial update, it no longer shows the blue bar. It's supposedly done to be more CPU user friendly: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=211083

If you want to voice your desire to have the blue progress bar back, add your feedback to that thread.

Since the first big download went well upon the total reinstall, it may not be a server issue, but just a restart of the PCs could help?

You could always try downloading a big file, to see if your browser downloads are up to speed by trying to download IS or TS: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=46845

• Thank you everyone for your reply's. Now I know what's been going on.

However, my download speed for the updates is still very slow. This has been going on ever since they got rid of the blue bar and on all 3 of my computers.

I have Road Runner Extreme for my Internet. I download at 30Mbps, so my download speed is not an issue.

I just did another manual update. It was only a little over 5,000kb and still took over 3 minutes to do.

It never used to be like this. This size of an update usually took no more than a few seconds.

Oh well, hopefully Bitdefender will get all of this straightened out.

Cheers!!!

• Thank you everyone for your reply's. Now I know what's been going on.

However, my download speed for the updates is still very slow. This has been going on ever since they got rid of the blue bar and on all 3 of my computers.

I have Road Runner Extreme for my Internet. I download at 30Mbps, so my download speed is not an issue.

I just did another manual update. It was only a little over 5,000kb and still took over 3 minutes to do.

It never used to be like this. This size of an update usually took no more than a few seconds.

Oh well, hopefully Bitdefender will get all of this straightened out.

Cheers!!!

Hi,

Same for me since the last updated product.

• Hi,

Same for me since the last updated product.

Hi everyone Newbie here :rolleyes:

I am having same problem

cheers

• At least now I know it's not only my system that's doing it.

I hope someone from Bitdefender see's this post.

Then maybe they will try to find a cure...

Cheers!!!

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello,

We wish to inform you that we are aware of the Update progress bar issue and we are investigating the causes that lead to this; on the other hand we wish to assure you that the Update process itself will go through successfully and you will be able to check this by going to the Events section > Update.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the situation and we assure you that we are doing our best to solve the issue at the soonest.

Hope you all have a fantastic week ahead!

• Thank you very much Georgia for your reply.

While you're here, can you please explain why the update downloads are taking so long?

As you can see by my attachment below, this update took over 5 minutes to do.

While the whole time my hard drive light was burning solid and I couldn't work with any other program.

It seemed to be using up all of my computer resources, and I have a high powered quad core gaming system.

Thank you for any additional info you can give me on this.

Cheers!!!

post-178782-1395690933_thumb.jpg

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2014

Dittos on the reply, Georgia :)

@ Harleyrider I remembered this thread when I saw the same update size just about 45 mn. ago. I counted how long it took to install (the Downloaded in Update Panel is also non functional), it was about 20-25 seconds for my laptop . I woke my Desktop PC out of sleep, which had the below update. It took about 23 seconds (I used a timer). The downloads were confirmed to be in the log files.

I have Charter 30 mbps speed, using a Wireless N Router and have N cards in both the laptop and desktop. I ran speedtest.net and had 31mbps download, and 4.31 mbps upload.

ThisUpdate_zps024ed1bb.png