Please Fix Paranoid Mode

Dear Bitdefender team,

Please allow an option to follow firewall application rules already established while in paranoid mode. This will still allow the benefits of paranoid mode while not driving users crazy (ie. getting a pop-up EVERY TIME THEY OPEN INTERNET EXPLORER). See how annoying that was?

If I turn off paranoid mode and open a new program (GPU-Z.0.7.7.exe, for example), somehow, magically a new rule is created to allow this new program through the firewall. I would like bitdefender to ask what rule to create for ANY applications that there isn't currently a rule for. There is no sense in having a whitelist for the security freaks out there like me that choose Bitdefender for it's highest rated antivirus. Whitelists help satisfy promote good security that doesn't nag the average user.

Perhaps, you could add a button to the paranoid mode popup that states "permanently allow", alongside the current allow and block buttons.

Thanks for listening and considering.

- Bitdefender Internet Security - Build: 17.26.0.1106

- Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-Bit)

Comments

• Wow, it is true what they say about bidefender support. Looks like I will not be purchasing any bitdefender products for the foreseeable future...

• The insanity of the paranoid mode is making me crazy, too.

You must have it switched on in order to prevent random apps from accessing the internet, but then it's going to nag about all conceivable connection attempts for apps that you have already allowed to access.

Also, who developed the UI? You cannot sort the firewall rules, you cannot resize the window, you cannot do anything.

The firewall is just completely unusable. I'm forced to change the product now.

• Wow, it is true what they say about bidefender support. Looks like I will not be purchasing any bitdefender products for the foreseeable future...

Technically, this isn't Bitdefender Support. This is a public forum. If you want to set up an email ticket and contact Customer Support directly, you can do so here:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html

But yes, I know about the issue with Paranoid Mode. I personally don't use that option myself, but that doesn't mean the entire program is broken. Just turn Paranoid Mode off, and everything else will work fine. :)

• brainworm
    edited March 2014
    Just turn Paranoid Mode off, and everything else will work fine. :)

Certainly yes, if "fine" is equivalent to "allow absolutely all applications to access all networks at will".

Paranoid Mode is broken -> the firewall is useless-> the product is useless. It's really that simple.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Certainly yes, if "fine" is equivalent to "allow absolutely all applications to access all networks at will".

Paranoid Mode is broken -> the firewall is useless-> the product is useless. It's really that simple.

Well, like I keep telling people, you need to tell this to Bitdefender themselves. If they get flooded with 1,000 emails per day from customers complaining that Paranoid Mode is broken, you can be pretty darn sure they will fix it. But most people these days won't do anything but rant on the forums. And that probably won't solve anything. So if you want it fixed, email Bitdefender here:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html

• I think the reason why it's asking is:

1. The application is being executed by another "Parent" - look for it the next time you get a prompt

2. The application has changed. The binary changed.

3. And maybe: The application is being executed with other parameters..

I may be wrong, but that's the impression i get.

They should actually make Paranoid mode more customizable:

For example set threshold for internet access prompts:

1. You only get prompts for new applications.

2. You receive only prompts if the application has changed, or another parent is executing it (like now).

3. Ask the user for every application. Even windows binaries. (This is a feature I'm missing).

• I think those are good observations, arlenwasp. Even though I haven't used Paranoid mode enough to confirm that exactly, it seems this is what Georgia was implying to here, with this example given: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=178669

• I think those are good observations, arlenwasp. Even though I haven't used Paranoid mode enough to confirm that exactly, it seems this is what Georgia was implying to here, with this example given: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=178669

That post is irrelevant too the issues on this post, which is give a user the ability to modify the behavior of "paranoid mode".

• columbo
    columbo
    edited April 2014
    Dear Bitdefender team,

Please allow an option to follow firewall application rules already established while in paranoid mode. This will still allow the benefits of paranoid mode while not driving users crazy (ie. getting a pop-up EVERY TIME THEY OPEN INTERNET EXPLORER). See how annoying that was?

-----------

-----------

The 1st part of 2eHezepR's post,

That post is irrelevant too the issues on this post, which is give a user the ability to modify the behavior of "paranoid mode".

So the link I provided, maybe does address that concern and exasperation by OP of why it is happening? And yes, it maybe doesn't resolve the issue of getting so many requests, and the hopeful resolve for it, but we all appreciate your insightful and helpful post and input here too. Good suggestions in post#7 :)

• I still think OP's issues haven't been resolved regarding the whitelist and the "always allow" option..

It seems "paranoid mode" is interpreted different by the users, looking at the posts on the forum.

And that's why I maybe suggest some features like modifying the behavior of "paranoid mode". I mean if user's enable "paranoid mode", it means they are above average interested in having control over the system. So why not enable additional options to be displayed when a user enables "paranoid mode"? Normal users won't even have to bother with it.

This is my suggestion to maybe satisfy more customers. Display customization of "Paranoid mode" if a user enables it.

• I agree, OPs concerns have not been addressed, and unfortunately may never be directly acknowledged in this thread by a Mod.

I meant it in sincerity, you do have some excellent ideas and obviously are proficient in your PC knowledge and understanding. You're right, there are probably many ideas to many people of what and how Paranoid mode should operate, of how "easy" they want it to be, or how confusing it could be to the average "set it and forget it" user who wouldn't know what to do, or what their looking at, or even as you said, would they even enable it.

Even though the Feature Request doesn't get acknowledged either, some of your ideas could at least be voted on there, but that's up to you. All the threads and posts are reviewed by Christian and Georgia (Tech Support) so you never know what could come of it. ^_^

• error-id10t
    edited April 2014

Maybe this has been "fixed" recently or I'm just lost what's being discussed.

NOTE: I have not used Paranoid mode. Instead I put the Firewall to max and let it create the rules. I now turned on Paranoid mode and the only program it asked about was a program that was not already in the application allowed list. So to me it appears to follow the application rules.. I do not get any pop-up when I open IE etc.