[escalated to developers] On-access Scanning Is Disabled, Status: Not Started

ggbrown73
edited March 2014 in Antivirus

Hi, Bit Defender 2014 has been running fine on my Win7 (64bit) system fine for a few months now until today.

I got a Critical Issues notification and the message "on-access scanning is disabled".

I have tried clicking on start to fix but this shows that the operation has failed. I restarted my laptop and tried to update the AV however this has no effect?

Can anyone help me out please as I don not really want to re-install Bit Defender.

Thanks.

Comments

• I notice this today, if I go into GUI>Antivirus settings and turn the "On Access scanning to "permissive" I get the orange BD icon in the tray and the GUI tells me that some issues need attention and the "scan all files" option is disabled. The mode changes to User Mode. Changing it back to autopilot clears the warnings but the On Access scanning section now has the "Custom" box ticked. Unticking the box sets everything back as it was.

As far as I am aware this has just started happening.

• I notice this today, if I go into GUI>Antivirus settings and turn the "On Access scanning to "permissive" I get the orange BD icon in the tray and the GUI tells me that some issues need attention and the "scan all files" option is disabled. The mode changes to User Mode. Changing it back to autopilot clears the warnings but the On Access scanning section now has the "Custom" box ticked. Unticking the box sets everything back as it was.

As far as I am aware this has just started happening.

Well hope they fix the problem pretty soon as it is not installing me with much confidence.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014

@ ggbrown

Welcome to the Bitdefender forums :)

To make sure the "On access scanning" feature is fully functional and your PC is protected please follow the steps below:

1. Open Bitdefender, click on Fix issues sign from the top and click on Start to fix the issue.

2. If it fails, please close this window, then click on Settings from the main Bitdefender interface (this button is located in the upper right corner).

3. Go to Antivirus module and make sure the "On-access scanning" is ON. If it isn't try to turn it on and check if the issue persists.

Note: if you cannot turn this feature on please repair Bitdefender (you will find the procedure at the end of this post)

4. Also, in order to make sure the On access scan is working properly turn it off for 5 minutes then turn it back on. Click on Custom/Modify button, try to change some settings, click OK, then go back and check if the settings are kept. After that click on Default button to restore it to default settings.

If the settings are not kept or you cannot turn off this feature please repair Bitdefender.

5. Below you will find a procedure that will determine if your Bitdefender product is catching infections. You will need to download a test file which should be detected by Bitdefender - this file is not infected in any way, it's just a file used to confirm that Bitdefender is properly protecting your PC.

Therefore please go to:

http://eicar.org/download/eicar.com

and download the eicar.com file. The Bitdefender popup should appear informing you that an infection was moved to Quarantine or 'Bitdefender blocked this page'.

6. If all the tests were performed and passed, it means that "On access scanning" feature is fully functional and your PC is protected from any malware attacks.

7. Last but not least, make sure there are no other security solutions installed on that machine.

---------------------------

[How to repair Bitdefender]

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-do-...ender-1155.html

---------------------------

Should you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

• Thanks for the reply Georgia.

I ended up just using the Bit Defender uninstall tool then re-installing from scratch. All seems to be working now.

Cheers,

Graham

• Digiman100
    edited May 2014

Bitdefender icon in Sys tray is red

Main Bitdefender Total Security 2013 console says: "There are critical issues to fix"

View all issues shows 1 issue:

On-access scanning is disabled, Status: Not started

check the box, click start

Windows7 action centre tells me that I need to turn on Bitdefender Antivirus (Important)

When tried - no change

One minute everything working ok next while watching Youtube vid my computer shuts down and now I have the problem listed above.

I have made no changes to my pc in past days but have noticed hightened hard disk activity on a regular basis. When I open Windows Task Manager to view processes - Bitdefender appears to be very active

Can someone please advise as to a solution.

• Bitdefender icon in Sys tray is red

Main Bitdefender Total Security 2014 console says: "There are critical issues to fix"

View all issues shows 1 issue:

On-access scanning is disabled, Status: Not started

check the box, click start

Windows7 action centre tells me that I need to turn on Bitdefender Antivirus (Important)

When tried - no change

One minute everything working ok next while watching Youtube vid my computer shuts down and now I have the problem listed above.

I have made no changes to my pc in past days but have noticed hightened hard disk activity on a regular basis. When I open Windows Task Manager to view processes - Bitdefender appears to be very active

Can someone please advise as to a solution.

Try repairing Bitdefender , Start menu > Programs > Bitdefender > Uninstall/Repair.

• Try repairing Bitdefender , Start menu > Programs > Bitdefender > Uninstall/Repair.

Thanks - missed the obvious. It seems to have sorted the problem but still wondering what would have caused it in the first place. Thanks for the help.

• Thanks - missed the obvious. It seems to have sorted the problem but still wondering what would have caused it in the first place. Thanks for the help.

That would have been the next question.

Many things can cause software to fail, what worried me was the fact that your system turned off , was it a virus attempting to shut your system down ....... there are bugs aound designed to compromise your AV.

It could also be the result of a registry cleaner, or a bad unistall of other software which has affected shared hooks.

Run a full system scan with Bitdefender. I would also double check with something like Malwarebytes, or an online scanner like HouseCall.

• Hi, my laptop was fine until a few mins ago, i then restarted my laptop and after it started the bd icon was red, the program takes a while to load up when i launch it, when it opens it says there are critical issues to fix, when i press it, it says on access scanning is disabled (status - not started) so i press start, it then says solved but then it quickly changes to the previous screen and says status - failed.

in the antivirus settings i also cannot turn active virus control on, when i press the on button it just stays on offand the, on the on access scanning part of the screen it is set to custom, when i press to load defaults, nothing happens.

Can anyone help please?

James

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

Hello James.

The first thing to do is to run a repair on your Bitdefender.

Control Panel>Programs and Features>Bitdefender>Uninstall and choose Repair.

Let that complete and then reboot your computer. It would then be wise to run a full system scan with Bitdefender and possibly with an antimalware scan with something like Malwarebytes Antimalwre.

Ro.

• Hello James.

The first thing to do is to run a repair on your Bitdefender.

Control Panel>Programs and Features>Bitdefender>Uninstall and choose Repair.

Let that complete and then reboot your computer. It would then be wise to run a full system scan with Bitdefender and possibly with an antimalware scan with something like Malwarebytes Antimalwre.

Ro.

Thanks, that has fixed the issue, i run trend housecall and it found no issues on my laptop, but another person has posted the same issue as me, could there be some reason why this has just happened out the blue, could an update to bd actually cause this?

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

Hi again James,

I don't know about an update causing it, I would have expected more of an outcry if it was that. Put it down to coincidence eh? In the past I have found the occasional problem where a quick 5 minutes doing a repair has solved the problem.

Glad it is sorted. :)

Ro.

• I just started to have what appears to be same problems as KJohnson - except I am using BD TS2014 on a WIn8.1 computer. BD was running correctly when I did a restart. After the restart, BD took much longer to open then normal. When finally open, I saw KJohnson's symptoms. But, when I go to Control Panel, I have no "Repair" option, only "Uninstall." Also, I'm currently completing a AntiMalware scan, which appears to have found no problems. I have run the BD "diagnostic tool", but don't expect an answer from them soon. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. And, in case it's not readily visible, I've never participated in any forum before.

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited May 2014
    I just started to have what appears to be same problems as KJohnson - except I am using BD TS2014 on a WIn8.1 computer. BD was running correctly when I did a restart. After the restart, BD took much longer to open then normal. When finally open, I saw KJohnson's symptoms. But, when I go to Control Panel, I have no "Repair" option, only "Uninstall." Also, I'm currently completing a AntiMalware scan, which appears to have found no problems. I have run the BD "diagnostic tool", but don't expect an answer from them soon. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. And, in case it's not readily visible, I've never participated in any forum before.

Click on Uninstall you will then see a GUI with the options to Remove or Repair.

• Thanks for the response, I just tried that a couple of minutes ago and I'm back up - just like KJohnson. I apologize for my ignorance and greatly appreciate your help. Again, thanks!!

• I got this error now twice this week.

The critical error is simply that "On access Scanning isn't enabled". There is a checkmark next to it and a "Start" button to click on but it still fails.

If it happens again, I'll get a screen shot.

The BD repair fixed it for a couple of days. And so far OK after the 2nd repair. But, it's beginning to look not so much a coincidence any more.

One thing I have in common with the OP is that it was on my laptop. My desktop PC never got this same problem.

I had the problem on my laptop with Windows 7.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited May 2014

I've had this issue about the same time James lpool started this thread. I use another partition on this laptop with a different AV, so I haven't gotten around to running a repair until now. The repair seems to have resolved it.

HP Pavilion Laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, BD IS 2014.

• Thanks for the response, I just tried that a couple of minutes ago and I'm back up - just like KJohnson. I apologize for my ignorance and greatly appreciate your help. Again, thanks!!

I have to say I tried that a few days ago with Total Security 2014 and Windows 7 64 Bit. It worked for a day and then I got the same problem back: "On-access scanning is disabled." I sent a report to Bitdefender and am waiting for a response. I'll try a repair again, reboot and go get another cup of coffee. I'll let you know what happens.

######

• It looks to have been a issue going around for some, including myself: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...7&st=0&

• I've gotten this problem twice on my laptop but not on my desktop.

Just a poll to see if this problem just affects laptops.

For those who have gotten this problem, please indicate what type of PC.

1. Laptop

2. Desktop

• Yeap I've had this on my desktop (doubt it matters laptop vs desktop).

Mine was little worse in that the repair didn't fix it. I had to uninstall completely and reinstall the product, then all was fine again.

• I have used Bitdefender for many years and only in the newest 2014 Edition have I had this many problems. What appears to happen is every time Windows updates something or Bitdefender updates, I get a message saying On Access Scanning is Disabled. The only way to resolve this issue from what I have tried and read about is to run the installer again to perform a repair or to uninstall Bitdefender and then reinstall it.

System is a custom built computer using Windows 8.1

Good there is a fix, but this happens every time an update occurs. This is a major inconvenience for me and I would like to find a permanent solutions without risking running outdated software. Yes the quickest and easiest answer would be to just disable update, but that puts my computer and personal information at risk.

I also am having issues with another machine, when windows comes out of sleep mode a message will pop up saying Bitdefender has stopped responding. I have not been notified of this error is a while now so I am not sure if this is something that has been fixed recently, will follow up.

post-180871-1400112687_thumb.png

The attached picture is also showing the status of bitdefender in my task bar as red, representing a problem, the fix shows the failed status, and the right click menu is stuck on after right clicking the Bitdefender icon. Also in the windows action center it is showing that my spyware and antivirus is disabled from the on access scanning being disabled.

There is more issues to state but I am looking for an answer to the top problem first.

Help is appreciated,

VZ

• Started having same issue as KJohnson.

I had Malwarebytes also installed on my PC for the past year with no conflicts with Bitdefender Total Security 2013 and then 2014. I ran Malwarebytes manually (not running all the time). Bitdefender support had me uninstall Malwarebytes, reboot the PC, go to control panel, uninstall (repair option) Bitdefender. After all was done, I rebooted again. Bitdefender stayed up and running for about an hour, then the issue of "On-access scanning is disabled" came right back.

Contacted Bitdefender support again and they verified with me the operating system, service packs installed, RAM memory, CPU details. Then they advised me that second level support would contact me in a day or two and tell me what to do.

Hope they can get this issue resolved.

They also mentioned to me that the rest of the suite is running fine with real time protection, just that the on-access scanning is disabled for now, and that it is okay to continue using the PC meanwhile.

• Started having same issue as KJohnson.

I had Malwarebytes also installed on my PC for the past year with no conflicts with Bitdefender Total Security 2013 and then 2014. I ran Malwarebytes manually (not running all the time). Bitdefender support had me uninstall Malwarebytes, reboot the PC, go to control panel, uninstall (repair option) Bitdefender. After all was done, I rebooted again. Bitdefender stayed up and running for about an hour, then the issue of "On-access scanning is disabled" came right back.

Contacted Bitdefender support again and they verified with me the operating system, service packs installed, RAM memory, CPU details. Then they advised me that second level support would contact me in a day or two and tell me what to do.

Hope they can get this issue resolved.

They also mentioned to me that the rest of the suite is running fine with real time protection, just that the on-access scanning is disabled for now, and that it is okay to continue using the PC meanwhile.

UPDATE: The issue seems to be resolved. Here is what happened. I got an e-mail from Bitdefender support asking me to download an analysis tool from a link they provided. I downloaded this app and ran it. It generated a zip file with info on bitdefender related stuff. I sent this zip file back to support. They analyzed it and sent me an email telling me that I had a program called Rapport installed which seems to be the cause of the problem. This program was installed on my PC about a year ago when my bank highly recommended me to do so since I used to do online banking. For whatever reason, never had an issue with bitdefender and Rapport both running simultaneously until now. Per support's instructions, I uninstalled Rapport, then rebooted my PC. Then I had to download another tool from a link sent by support to completely remove bitdefender from my PC. Then I had to download another copy of the Bitdefender Total Internet Security from another link they sent me. I downloaded this copy of Bitdefender and installed it. Everything is now running good with no more issues (for the past 6 hours). Perhaps the issue is resolved????

To summarize, I had to get rid of Rapport, then remove existing Bitdefender, then reinstall a fresh copy of Bitdefender. That's all. Hope this helps somebody.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Please try to follow the steps described here and reply with your results:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=212278

Thank you!

• I read through similar problem in 2012 threads and tried to apply all of the suggestions. One thing I did not see in these that is different for me. Windows 7 alert is saying I need to turn on BitDefender for spyware and anti-virus (I have tried, but nothing changes). I have a attached screen shots

post-182269-1404188365_thumb.png

post-182269-1404188375_thumb.png

post-182269-1404188383_thumb.png

post-182269-1404188453_thumb.png

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello KMU,

Please post here a support tool log to further investigate the case:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...t-log-1168.html

or

http://bitdefender.com/diagnostic

You may not be able to upload the BDSP_ log resulted on your Desktop here as it is too big so you can put it on www.sendspace.com and post the download link.

Thank you!