Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

No Auto Scans

Options

I installed BDAVF on February 10; had quick auto scans every day through February 18; had one deep auto scan on February 11. I have had no auto scans since those dates. Is this typical behavior?

Comments

• I installed BDAVF on February 10; had quick auto scans every day through February 18; had one deep auto scan on February 11. I have had no auto scans since those dates. Is this typical behavior?

Since version 1.0.16.1022 a Quick Sweep is done every two (2) days and a Deep Sweep once every week. Automated scans may be done only while your computer is idle (or shows little activity?). I sometimes see more that one Quick Sweep in my LOGS within a day, e.g., three yesterday, but they do not happen daily, e.g., none two days ago. I believe that it may have to do with restarting the computer. There is reply to a similar question that hints that fact.

• BDU
    Options
    Since version 1.0.16.1022 a Quick Sweep is done every two (2) days and a Deep Sweep once every week. Automated scans may be done only while your computer is idle (or shows little activity?). I sometimes see more that one Quick Sweep in my LOGS within a day, e.g., three yesterday, but they do not happen daily, e.g., none two days ago. I believe that it may have to do with restarting the computer. There is reply to a similar question that hints that fact.

Thank you for your reply. I reboot every day and computer is frequently idle for longer than one hour. I still question why there has been no autoscan for one month. I have not changed my usage pattern since installation of BDAVF.

• Rabbits123
    Options

I had the same issue. I repaired the installation and the Auto scan is functioning normally.

• rejzor
    Options

I don't get it why are guys at Bitdefender so obsessed with doing on-demand scans to begin with. Why the ###### do they have real-time protection then, if it's grinding the disk constantly with unnecessary on-demand scans!? Quick scan should be done once a month and Full scan should only be done by user and should NEVER be performed on a regular schedule. It's idiotic and unnecessary. No one does that anymore these days. Except Bitdefender and Comodo. Why exactly, well that's something i just can't understand...

• I don't get it why are guys at Bitdefender so obsessed with doing on-demand scans to begin with. Why the ###### do they have real-time protection then, if it's grinding the disk constantly with unnecessary on-demand scans!? Quick scan should be done once a month and Full scan should only be done by user and should NEVER be performed on a regular schedule. It's idiotic and unnecessary. No one does that anymore these days. Except Bitdefender and Comodo. Why exactly, well that's something i just can't understand...

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition only performs a Full System Scan if and when it is requested. I think periodic sweeps have to do the way the product maintains a system's white list. So the auto-scans are part of what makes the real-time protection fast ant light. I infer this from note at the web page stating Auto Scan - A huge time and resource saver... I may be wrong.

• rejzor
    Options

It's still pointless. Unless their real-time module is incapable of performing scan cache optimizations. In which case it's really badly designed.

I turn off the Auto Scan thing, but being slightly OCD, i hate seeing (or knowing) that option has a yellow border around and says "PAUSED". It's just annoying.

• It's still pointless. Unless their real-time module is incapable of performing scan cache optimizations. In which case it's really badly designed.

I turn off the Auto Scan thing, but being slightly OCD, i hate seeing (or knowing) that option has a yellow border around and says "PAUSED". It's just annoying.

Autoscan

Autoscan is a light on-demand scan that silently scans all your data for malware and takes the appropriate actions for any infections found. Autoscan finds and uses time-slices when system resource usage falls below a certain threshold to perform recurring scans of the entire system.

Benefits of using Autoscan:

It has close to zero impact on the system.

By pre-scanning the entire hard-disk, future on-demand tasks will be completed extremely fast.

On-access scanning will also take significantly less time.

To turn on or off Autoscan, follow these steps:

Open the Bitdefender window.

On the Antivirus panel, click the switch to turn on or off Autoscan.

What about unknown malware/viruses ? Maybe you collected something that was unknown yesterday and is now in the definitions ......... a silent scan at idle time would pick that up.

Just like people using AN other! ;) antivirus used the screensaver scan :rolleyes:

• rejzor
    Options

Real-time would still pick it up when you'd run it. So again, why grind entire HDD for something it would get detected anyway?

• Real-time would still pick it up when you'd run it. So again, why grind entire HDD for something it would get detected anyway?

RejZoR, if you think you can rely only on real-time protection you have to be really careful. In particular, I may turn off all real-time protection in particular circumstances, e.g., while updating a driver. It is yet conceivable (indeed it has to be the case) that some code is running before real-time protection or any protection starts. AdrianHa's words remind us how periodic scans reduce the risk of being compromised in those circumstances. That is the value of this "proprietary technology that focuses virus detection efforts on risky areas." Now, to be really critical on this particular product: some fine-tune analysis and file classification decisions are done on Bitdefender's Internet servers. Only when connected is that Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition's detection rate is at par with their paid products. So if the auto-scans happen while the computer is connected to the Internet (I cannot say this is one of the many factors that trigger auto scans), it will have a safer environment if ever disconnected.