Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Problems Installation/updating Other Software

Options

Not sure if this problem had been addressed. With BD running, I cannot install any other software, or update any software for that matter. Bd blocked any software that tries to change the registry. There is no prompting to allow or deny the software, even though I tried changing the firewall setting. In fact, the problem even occurs after I disable the firewall, or even quit Bd entirely! The only way to solve it is to totally uninstall Bd.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• s4u
    Options

What version are you running?

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello Cheez,

First of all, the Registry Monitor is not a part of BitDefender Firewall, but a part of BitDefender Privacy Control. Secondly, this module only protects Startup entries, not the hole Registry, so it could, in any way, prevent a software from installing.

Another thing I want to mention is that BitDefender cannot just be closed (when you said you closed BD entirely, I assume you mean that you right-clicked on the tray icon and selected Exit). Doing this only closes bdagent.exe, a process that is only responsible with BD's interface. The rest of the of the protection modules still remain active. To shut down BitDefender you must disable all modules, one by one.

About your problem... please post some system specs, like: BD version, Operating System, what applications have errors, and what errors you receive.

If, by any chance, you are running Windows XP SP2 Tablet PC Edition, then there were some users which reported that BD doesn't display the confirmation popups for the Firewall and Registry monitor. There is a topic on this forum about this issue (if I find it, I'll post the link here).

Cris.

• Cheez
    edited February 2008
    Options

Cris, thanks for the clarification. After I posted that, I realised that indeed it's the privacy control that is the problem. I unchecked it, and could install henceforth. So problem 1 is solved. However, when the installation program requires access to the internet for immediate registration, the process is stumped again. I disabled every single module from the antivirus to firewall to privacy control, etc, but because it doesn't prompt, there's nothing I could do. I even tried adding manually the installation .exe program in the Firewall to allow it to access internet - doesn't work.

And indeed, I'm using XP Tablet SP2 (now I see I'm not the only one - glad to know). Using Bd internet Security 2008. Hope the solution for Tablet users will be solved....soon.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited February 2008
    Options
  • Hi Cris,

Thanks for the link. It appears that the issue for XP Tablet is not resolved yet. I travel a lot and I cannot afford instability in my Tablet. Last week, while travelling, same problem occured again. Because the BD does not prompt, I have a lot of problem accessing wireless internet. And because of that, work is delayed that almost cost me big time.

I was so frustrated that I switched immediately to Kaspersky (risking paying by credit card over insecure wireless internet). No problems henceforth. I paid for 2 years subscription for BD. Oh well, money down the drain. But I REALLY cannot afford this kind of problems.