Black Screen Boot Delay

Hello,

Today I installed Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & got all the windows updates available, boot time was fast when rebooting, after installing BDAV+ 2014 there is now a delay of aboput 43 secs to over 1 min after the Windows 8.1 boot screen, after the boot screen there is just a blank black screen for the afore mentioned time, If I uninstall BDAV+ 2014 then boot time goes back to normal, install it again & the boot time is delayed by quite a bit of time.

I have seen other posts on here about this but thought it had been resolved, the main reason for me installing Windows 8.1 was for the faster boot times, I did not have this issue on Win 7 x64

If this continues then I will have to stop using BDAV+ or go back to my reflect free backup of Win 7 x64.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Banzi.

Comments

• Wont let me edit my post, forgot to mention this is on a fast Intel SSD drive.

• BanziBaby
    edited April 2014

Noticed some errors in event log related to Bitdefender.

The Bitdefender Virus Shield service did not respond on starting.

And the xml view

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7022</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-04-17T01:40:46.523933900Z" />

<EventRecordID>1537</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="684" ThreadID="688" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>****-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="param1">Bitdefender Virus Shield</Data>

<Binary>5600530053004500520056000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

That error is during the boot process.

• Any chance of some help with this?

At the moment I using 360 internet security which is used BD as one of it's engines & there is no delay in boot time, I would rather use the Bitdefender that I paid for though.

• happened on my win 7 laptop = uninstalled

does not happen on xp desktop, i.e. normal boot time.

• Hi nietzsche,

I didn't have this issue on Win 7 x64, boot time was nice & quick, only get it on Win 8.1 x64 with all updates including update 1.

Tried it again today, uninstalled 360 internet security & rebooted twice to make sure, then installed Bitdefender AV+ 2014, first update asked for a reboot (I change the setting to prompt instead of postpone) PC reboots & windows boot screen shows then monitor goes blank then comes on again with a black screen, this sat there for 1 minute & 20 seconds then the please wait screen stalled with the circular dots frozen for about 1 minute & then the login screen appeared, tried to enter password but no dots appeared then after about 20 seconds the password field filled up & I could login.

This happened the same way over 3 reboots, it seems the Bitdefender anitvirus driver has issues loading. Uninstalled Bitdefnder & then used the removal tool (which is slow as anything, took about 10 mins to finish) & then installed 360 again & no delay in the boot time.

Cheers,

Banzi.

• Would really appreciate a reply from the forum staff about this, doesn't seems to be much support for users here from them.

Cheers,

Banzi.

• Would really appreciate a reply from the forum staff about this, doesn't seems to be much support for users here from them.

Cheers,

Banzi.

2 things you can try :

Go into Win8 Settings> Update and Recovery > Advanced Start Up > then use the Start Repair option.

If that doesn't help, on your Bitdefender GUI > bottom right > " help and support" choose the option to create a support ticket, that will generate a support package for the techs.

They can then go through the system with you.

• There could be a conflict with '360 Internet Security' if is was not properly uninstalled leaving some rermants around in file form or in the Windows Registry. You might want to do a search of your computer's file system and make sure there are no files left from 360. Also check your Processes once the computer starts and make sure there no Processes running from 360. Finally you could check the Windows Registry though better to use the 360 Internet Security uninstall tool than manually fiddle with the registry.

• There could be a conflict with '360 Internet Security' if is was not properly uninstalled leaving some rermants around in file form or in the Windows Registry. You might want to do a search of your computer's file system and make sure there are no files left from 360. Also check your Processes once the computer starts and make sure there no Processes running from 360. Finally you could check the Windows Registry though better to use the 360 Internet Security uninstall tool than manually fiddle with the registry.

Ah, I thought that till I read the post again.

What Banzi is saying is, that with Bitdefender installed there is/was a lengthy delay at boot. Therefore BD was removed and 360 installed.

With 360 there is no boot delay on his system

I have seen some very odd behaviour on Win8/8.1 and Bitdefender at boot time. On my laptop at some system starts the boot was painfully slow, at other times boot was quite fast, but nothing like the speed Win8 quick start should show.

Uninstall BD and use a different AV and the Win8 quick start is finished in seconds. It looks like BD is affecting the hybrid shutdown.

• Black screen boot delay has been a problem on many peoples computers and it doesn't only effect Windows 8. There is a lot of discussion on these forums about it. I first installed BD TS on my Win 8 laptop and have never seen the problem (although I have changed it to Win 8 Security now). However on my Win 7 desktop I consistently have 10+ seconds prior to the Welcome screen of black screen on boot, which doesn't happen with another AV.

I will wait and see if the next version of BD fixes it as I have no problems with a slight boot delay.

• Black screen boot delay has been a problem on many peoples computers and it doesn't only effect Windows 8. There is a lot of discussion on these forums about it. I first installed BD TS on my Win 8 laptop and have never seen the problem (although I have changed it to Win 8 Security now). However on my Win 7 desktop I consistently have 10+ seconds prior to the Welcome screen of black screen on boot, which doesn't happen with another AV.

I will wait and see if the next version of BD fixes it as I have no problems with a slight boot delay.

I have BD W8 Security running on three Intel W8.1.1 computers and BDIS running on a AMD W7-SP1 x64 computer

Every once in a while a get the black/grey (I guess it depends on the monitor) delay but usually on my oldest Intel which is a i5-2320. This computer orignally came with W7 and I got to W8.1.1 by upgrading and updating. Thing is that it is not all the time and I never checked to see if I could eliminate it by removing BD W8 Security. Not worth the hassle since I don't restart every day and only restart when I am done using the computer for the day.

I have noticed that the W7-SP1 with BDIS will take slightly different times to restart but I don't recall seeing a black screen on that computer. Could be because I don't use that computer very much so again its no big deal. I will try a restart now and see what happens. Shutting down took 25 seeconds and the restart was on the Dell logo for about 20 seconds then the Window logo window for 20 seconds then a black sreen with the cursor for about 20 seconds or a little under 90 seconds from clicking restart until I got the the Windows login screen. However, I did not see a black sreen only with nothing showing. Keep in mind this is an AMD computer with an Athlon 2X that is about four years old or maybe a bit older. I am also running MBAM 2.X Pro, EMET 5.0 TP along with several other security programs so given all that I think the restart time is acceptable, but that is just me

• Thanks for the replies folks & sorry for the delay in replying, was away from home for a couple of days.

Bitdefender AV+ 2014 x64 was the only security app other than Spyware Blaster & the MVPS hosts file on a clean install of Win 8.1 Pro x64, got all the windows updates including update 1 before any apps were installed, After installing BD & getting latest updates & rebooting the delay was there, basically the PC rebooted & windows boot screen shows then that vanishes then black screen for long period of time (shortest was 43 seconds, longest was 2 minutes & 10 seconds) then the login screen appears, sometimes I got the please wait screen with the spinning dots & they were freezing then the login screen shows. When the desktop had loaded BD also seemed to be causing a delay in that as well, ObjectDock took a while to show & startup apps loaded slowly as well & also the desktop icons would refresh.

After a few reboots with the delay between 43 seconds & up to 1 minute & 20 seconds, I then checked event viewer & saw the messages that are in my previous posts, I then unistalled BD through programs & features & rebooted & then ran the new BD uninstall tool & rebooted again, installed BD again & got the updates & rebooted & the delays were back again, uninstalled BD, rebooted & used BD removal tool & rebooted & then installed 360 Internet security & there was no boot delay.

Event viewer basically shows that the "The Bitdefender Virus Shield service did not respond on starting." On Win7 x64 I had no boot delays & had BD running fine with Comodo firewall 5.10 & even MBAM pro 1.75

If I have time later today I will make a Reflect free backup of Win 8.1 x64 & then remove 360 & clean up & then reinstall BD & film what is happening, I did try BD's built in diag support but that always crashed.

I would prefer to use BD as I paid for it & still have about 110 days left on my license, I could go back to my Win7 backup but after customising & tweaking Win 8.1 it kind of growing on me.

Cheers,

Banzi.

• Thanks for the replies folks & sorry for the delay in replying, was away from home for a couple of days.

Bitdefender AV+ 2014 x64 was the only security app other than Spyware Blaster & the MVPS hosts file on a clean install of Win 8.1 Pro x64, got all the windows updates including update 1 before any apps were installed, After installing BD & getting latest updates & rebooting the delay was there, basically the PC rebooted & windows boot screen shows then that vanishes then black screen for long period of time (shortest was 43 seconds, longest was 2 minutes & 10 seconds) then the login screen appears, sometimes I got the please wait screen with the spinning dots & they were freezing then the login screen shows. When the desktop had loaded BD also seemed to be causing a delay in that as well, ObjectDock took a while to show & startup apps loaded slowly as well & also the desktop icons would refresh.

After a few reboots with the delay between 43 seconds & up to 1 minute & 20 seconds, I then checked event viewer & saw the messages that are in my previous posts, I then unistalled BD through programs & features & rebooted & then ran the new BD uninstall tool & rebooted again, installed BD again & got the updates & rebooted & the delays were back again, uninstalled BD, rebooted & used BD removal tool & rebooted & then installed 360 Internet security & there was no boot delay.

Event viewer basically shows that the "The Bitdefender Virus Shield service did not respond on starting." On Win7 x64 I had no boot delays & had BD running fine with Comodo firewall 5.10 & even MBAM pro 1.75

If I have time later today I will make a Reflect free backup of Win 8.1 x64 & then remove 360 & clean up & then reinstall BD & film what is happening, I did try BD's built in diag support but that always crashed.

I would prefer to use BD as I paid for it & still have about 110 days left on my license, I could go back to my Win7 backup but after customising & tweaking Win 8.1 it kind of growing on me.

Cheers,

Banzi.

Just a thought. You could contact BD and see if that will let you switch your remaining license days to BD W8 Security at no cost. I have used it for about 16 months originally with W8 and now W8.1.1. I use it on three W8.1.1 computers and have had no problems with it all and best of all no malware issues. I have had to do a repair a couple of times over the 16 months but that is it.

• Banzi,

Have you made any progress with this boot delay problem?

• Raul90
    edited May 2014
    Black screen boot delay has been a problem on many peoples computers and it doesn't only effect Windows 8. There is a lot of discussion on these forums about it. I first installed BD TS on my Win 8 laptop and have never seen the problem (although I have changed it to Win 8 Security now). However on my Win 7 desktop I consistently have 10+ seconds prior to the Welcome screen of black screen on boot, which doesn't happen with another AV.

I too have issues with boot delay (on Win 7 Ultimate x64) and I see that there is that "black screen" with a couple of seconds prior the Welcome screen. This was on both BD IS 2014 and BD AV 2014 Plus.

When I tried BD AV 2014 Plus alongside Comodo Firewall ver7 and with Shadow Defender / Keyscrambler Pro disabled as start-up entries, the fastest I got was 50 sec to 1min 14sec. It never did went down beyond the 50sec.

KIqk3yz.png

Tried with a different AV (AviraFree) and boot time was only 26sec with Shadow Defender and KeyscramblerPro as startup entries.

6AGPp3D.png

With BD IS 2014 my boot time is from 54sec to 1min 04sec. The attached autoruns>Logon image shows that Shadow Defender is not present(uninstalled) and KeyscramblerPro has been disabled and process stopped. Actually support said to uninstall SD(I was reluctant at first because there was not any issue with the previous setup but I did uninstall it to see if the boot time speed will improve). It did not.

When I had a different security setup on this partition (Emsisoft IS + Shadow Defender + KeyscramblerPro all as start-up entries alongside iReboot.exe) my boot time was only 31-34sec.

Ush2bTm.png

bKrjDHK.png

• Just upgraded Glary to pro version. See image of my boot speed with the appropriate autorun>logon image.

NSWLohu.png

• Banzi,

Have you made any progress with this boot delay problem?

Hi keverne,

Not really I been kinda busy, I did shoot a video of the PC booting quickly with 360IS but as I had already installed & uninstalled BDAV+ numerous times trying to resolve the issue I couldn't be bothered to try it again.

I will try at the weekend to install it & record the boot time but the forum staff here don't really seem to care as you can tell from their absence & silence. Pity as I didn't have the issue on win 7 x64, only on win 8.1 x64

The slow boot happened with just BD installed & was the same after I installed Comodo Firewall v7 (just the firewall & defense+)

@Raul90 Do you have any entries related to BD slowdown in event viewer?

• Hi keverne,

Not really I been kinda busy, I did shoot a video of the PC booting quickly with 360IS but as I had already installed & uninstalled BDAV+ numerous times trying to resolve the issue I couldn't be bothered to try it again.

I will try at the weekend to install it & record the boot time but the forum staff here don't really seem to care as you can tell from their absence & silence. Pity as I didn't have the issue on win 7 x64, only on win 8.1 x64

The slow boot happened with just BD installed & was the same after I installed Comodo Firewall v7 (just the firewall & defense+)

There are no entries related. The only prominent thing I get was this which was related to CheckIt Diagnostics. But as posted the behavior of slow boot time is only with this setup with BD IS 2014. One thing more, in Autoruns(Sysinternals) from where I disabled the entries of the wallet service shows it's there but disabled. When I check Glary>Startup Manager and EmsisoftHiJackFree the wallet service is "enabled" and running.

PeU70b3.png

hbufVdO.png

How can I check if the wallet service is really running or not? I can check it via Process Hacker right..dll..?

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Service Control Manager

[ Guid] {555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}

[ EventSourceName] Service Control Manager

- EventID 7000

[ Qualifiers] 49152

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8080000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2014-05-05T13:19:32.924584300Z

EventRecordID 73346

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 900

[ ThreadID] 904

Channel System

Computer XXXXXX-PC

Security

- EventData

param1 MAPMEM

param2 %%1275

• I made a new partition from a system image backup (using Acronis) of the existing partition with BD IS 2014. Recovered that to a vacant partition and installed BD AV 2014 Plus alongside Comodo Firewall ver7. The black screen is the same and the boot time is around the same area of 1 min+.

sfMTHqn.png

Also posted here, http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry214858

I do not know if the Wallet service is part causing this delay or is a factor in the slow boot speed I get but this observation is only when BD product is installed. With another AV or internet suite there is no issue with blackscreen delay and slow boot time.

These are the images with the boot speed time I have with my default partition (Emsisoft IS) and my second partition( EAM + CIS7).

21wqvZB.png

ZI3vTvk.png

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

It seems the [black screen] delay is caused, amongst others, to the Master Boot Record scan that is performed prior to loading Windows. Bitdefender is trying to reduce the time it takes to integrate itself with the Windows services that start prior to the loading screen.

Hopefully this improvement will show up when the 2015 version is released.

• i had reported this issue to BD Tech Support long Back but they could not find the cause.

their teamviewer support is also silent like tech support.

NOTE:THIS PROBLEM EXISTS FROM BD 2013 VERSION

• I made a 10 day graph of my boot speed on my last reply. From there I will be moving on to another setup.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry215444

• Well I finally got round to this issue again, created a system backup with Macrium Reflect free then uninstalled 360IS & rebooted then cleaned any remains & then rebooted again, this time I downloaded the slightly larger offline setup file of BDAV+ & installed it, rebooted then got the first product update & rebooted again. This time there doesn't seem to be the long boot delay. There must have been changes in the larger installer or when the first product update was run.

Just want to thank all the other users who posted in this tread, you were a lot more use than the non existent support staff on this forum, due to their complete lack of comments & support I will be changing to another AV when my license runs out, already lost over 20 days due to boot delay issues & having to use another AV.

Image is with BDAV+ installed.

post-144019-1400708016_thumb.jpg

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

Have you guys thought of giving the 2015 Beta a try? I now only see a "visual" black screen of between 5 - 10 seconds and my boot has improved quite a bit.

• Might not be trying the 2015 Beta as I think I already knocked myself out trying BD to make it work with me. I might try the new Emsisoft beta instead but it I'll have to install KIS2014 first and image it. This is the image of the former BD AV 2014 Plus partition with another setup.

1i0ah1W.png

• Well I ended up restoring the image I had made with 360IS installed, this was due to the drag that BD was adding to my system, programs were taking 1-2 seconds longer to open & web browsing was much slower, also due to the complete lack of support from the so called forum team here.

• Well I ended up restoring the image I had made with 360IS installed, this was due to the drag that BD was adding to my system, programs were taking 1-2 seconds longer to open & web browsing was much slower, also due to the complete lack of support from the so called forum team here.

Have been hearing a great deal about 360IS and it seems to be very promising. The news I am hearing made me read about it :)

...also due to the complete lack of support from the so called forum team here....

A sad reality we had to face here....so soooo...

• I know this post is old but thought I would add some info/update anyway.

Installed Bitdefender AV Plus 2015 edition on a fresh build of Windows 7 - 32bit.

I now have a blank screen at boot up for 200 seconds. Albeit a slower PC but before installing Bitdefender no noticeable delay or black screen.

So, if your hoping 2015 has fixed this issue, it is still there if not worse.

• I know this post is old but thought I would add some info/update anyway.

Installed Bitdefender AV Plus 2015 edition on a fresh build of Windows 7 - 32bit.

I now have a blank screen at boot up for 200 seconds. Albeit a slower PC but before installing Bitdefender no noticeable delay or black screen.

So, if your hoping 2015 has fixed this issue, it is still there if not worse.

There are some reports also like this. Have you gone to BD support about this one?

Bitdefender Support:

bdsupport@bitdefender.com

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...efender_SPT.exe

[how to GENERATE A STANDALONE SUPPORT TOOL LOG]

. Save the Bitdefender_Supporttool tool to a location of your choice:

http://bitdefender.com/diagnostic

. Double-click on the The_New_Bitdefender_SPT.exe file (if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the The_New_Bitdefender_SPT.exe application file and select "Run as Administrator");

. Fill in the required information and press the "Next" button (make sure you use a valid email address and include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering);

NOTE! If you want to reproduce the issue and enable additional logging you will have to restart the computer and then use the Support Tool again after reproducing the issue to complete the data gathering;

. A file will be created on your desktop (BDSP_*)...

[how to GENERATE A AUTORUNS LOG]

a) Go to this page

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx and download the autoruns file.

B) Extract the contents of the downloaded file and run the 'autoruns.exe' file;

c) Wait for the list to be filled with all the processes and then make sure that you have the Everything tab selected in the upper part;

d) Click on the Disk icon right under File and chose any location folder on your computer;

e) Save the file with a specific name (your name, computer name, a random name, which one you want)...

• ROFL , today i repair my installed BitDefener Total Security 2014 and now i have the 10 secs delay ... Anything to do ? :(

• @ 'Raul90'

Thank you for the lead to http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...efender_SPT.exe

- squirreled away if need in the future

My experience:-

Win7 32bit Home Premium

BIS 2013

- updates were stalling and/or very slow on two PCs

- non-BD downloads were normal speed

Upgraded to BIS 2015 on one PC(using BD uninstaller > clearing registry > clean install of BIS 2015)

- problem persists

- downgraded to BIS 2014, same problems

- downgraded to BIS-2013, same problems for 3 days ... then downloads back to normal.

Long black screen on boot persists (inspite of Startup cut to bare bones)

- phone tech support robot -- I am still waiting for a response after 4 phone calls from 5-Sept to now 19-Sept

- one of my threads Where can I find a list of update locations (international) for Bitdefender ? no response in 5 days.

- like others on this thread when subs run out in 233 days I will be using another AV

• Sorry to see that. You can check out if this article works of your balck screen problem.

• Sorry to see that. You can check out if this article works of your balck screen problem.

Hello mikusa29,

The black screen of death is not what is being discussed here but the delay caused by Bitdefenders early boot scan, it has been sorted in the 2015 versions as there is now the ability to turn off that boot scan in the GUI. Antivirus>Custom>Miscellaneous tab>uncheck "Early boot scan".

Ro.