Laptop Mode A Security Risk?

Just got anti-virus plus.

Noticed that it has a laptop mode it switches to automatically when on battery.

Problem is that it doesn't auto update when in laptop mode.

If I spend most of my time on battery then isn't laptop mode a security risk due to it not receiving updates?

Also does laptop mode really make a difference to battery life as I just don't see the point of an anti-virus that doesn't auto update?

Comments

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

Hiya, if you don't allow it to update then yes, it is a problem. Things like idle scan and updates will impact on your battery life, how much I don't know and it will depend on your usage on-battery.

You can click the Bitdefender icon and choose "Update" when you use your laptop and then you will be up to date for that session, or turn off the laptop mode in the General Settings and see if it does significantly shorten the battery time, with my laptop I don't notice a difference but I haven't run any time checks. :)

• Hiya, if you don't allow it to update then yes, it is a problem. Things like idle scan and updates will impact on your battery life, how much I don't know and it will depend on your usage on-battery.

You can click the Bitdefender icon and choose "Update" when you use your laptop and then you will be up to date for that session, or turn off the laptop mode in the General Settings and see if it does significantly shorten the battery time, with my laptop I don't notice a difference but I haven't run any time checks. :)

Thanks.

I've noticed laptop mode doesn't actually switch off idle scan on my machine.

I would assume that idle scan would use far more power than auto update so I might as well just disable laptop mode altogether