Active Virus Control Messes Up Opera Browser

Hello,

I noticed that after the last program update that AVC is messing with Opera Browser v22 If AVC is on when I open Opera I get the browser GUI but it won't load anything & the tabs just say loading, it should load the speed dial. If I turn AVC off in BitDefender AV+ 2014 then Opera works great, if I turn AVC back on Opera still works & can browse until I close it.

First image is what I get when I open Opera with AVC on.

Second image is with AVC disabled.

Can this be fixed ASAP as I shouldn't have to use another browser just because BD doesn't like Opera.

Cheers,

Banzi.

post-144019-1403048547_thumb.jpg

post-144019-1403048964_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Is the no one else having this issue? Definitely a issue with Opera & BDAV+ with AVC on.

Could the forum staff here please forward this to the tech delpt so they can resolve it.

• 35 views & not one reply, could at least the forum staff respond to me please, at least show some support.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited June 2014

Hiya,

Only the 3 major browsers are supported to any extent, IE, Chrome and Firefox, and for them to check comparability or problems with any of the other browsers would be very time consuming. I suggest to get this (hopefully) sorted you contact them with all the details -

Phone: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer-phone.html

Chat: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/chat-support.html

Email: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/contact-us.html

Ro.

(3 of those views were probably me. :P )

• Not really going to help you but I have anti-virus plus and AVC is set to the normal setting.

I've just tested the latest version of Opera and it is working fine.

So I am not seeing any compatibility problem between Opera and Bitdefender.

• Thanks for the reply Rohugh.

Well I have the wallet functionality turned off in the BD GUI, also went into wallet settings & unticked all browsers (Opera is supported in that as it was ticked by default) I just find it strange that IE, Firefox, Chrome, & Chromium browsers all work fine but if AVC is on in BD then Opera which uses the same engine as Chrome just wont do anything, I have to close Opera & then disable AVC then open Opera again for it to work right then re-enable AVC & Opera works fine until it is closed then re-opened, Now I have used computers for years & the simple fact was Opera was working fine until the last BD program update.

Cheers for the reply Malacath.

Any reply is helpful (even more so if it were from the non existent support staff) I have removed Opera & tried previous versions, I always removed the user data when uninstalling to make sure it not the profile that is causing the issue, the issue only happens when AVC in BD is on.

• Have just tried Yandex Browser & the exact same issue happens with that as well.

• I use Opera 12.17 and Opera 22 ( latest release ) and have never encountered any issue with Bitdefender.

Win 8.1.1 64Bit . Bitdefender Internet Security 2014 with AVC set to Aggressive.

• Changing the AVC slider from normal to aggressive or down to permissive has no effect, only turning AVC off then opening Opera or Yandex will allow the browsers to work as intended, then I can turn AVC back on with no real issues other than the settings or extension tabs taking longer to load.

I actually regret buying a new 1 year license for BDAV+ as the so called support staff on these boards are practically non existent, suffice to say I will no longer be recommending BD to family & friends (I had converted most to using it) due to the shocking lack of support.

To the users of this board you all do a great job in trying to help each other but you shouldn't have to do the job the forum staff are supposed to be doing.

One other thing to add is the huge big ads that were turned off are now appearing again.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    @ BanziBaby Can you confirm if everything gets back to normal after deleting Operapref.ini from C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera , provided that you have installed this browser using the default settings?
  • Thanks for the reply Georgia, sorry for the delay in replying as I was away for the weekend.

I run Opera 22.0.1471.70 which doesn't have that file as shown in the attached screenshot, if I remember right the older Opera 12x versions had that file. I have uninstalled & deleted user data for Opera then did a clean install of it but the issue happens with just the bare browser with no extensions & also when extensions are installed.

As mentioned before Chrome, Chromium, IE 11 & Firefox all work fine, the issue is just with Opera & Yandex browsers if AVC in BDAV+ 2014 is on, turn AVC off & open Opera or Yandex & it opens fines & works great, turn AVC back on when browser is open & it still works great other than slow loading of the settings, extension or about tabs.

Cheers,

Banzi.

post-144019-1404080322_thumb.jpg

• Just a thought but ,

1) what happens if you remove that theme ?

2) your first image is showing "about:blank ", not speed dial

3) the page that loads with AVC turned off is not speed dial , it is the " Stash" page.

maybe check in " Settings" what page is actually set to load at start.

(Posted using Opera 22, Win8.1 , Bitdefender IS2014. )

• Thank for the reply AdrianHa,

1. I don't really use the themes in Opera & just stick with the grey one, the reason there is a theme showing in the second image of my first post is simply due to me taking the screenshot before I changed it to the grey theme.

2. The first image in first post is what I get when I try to open Opera with AVC on, the browser loads but doesn't load the speed dial page, it just says loading & the address bar shows about:blank, clicking a bookmark does nothing as no pages will load including the settings tab or even the about Opera tab.

3. The reason the second image shows the stash page was purely for privacy reasons, if you look at the second image in my first post I have blanked out the bookmarks in the bookmark bar as well, I changed it to the stash page so the bookmarks in the speed dial page were not shown.

4. I have not changed the default page option & it is still set to load the speed dial page.

Basically with AVC on I can open Opera but I just get what is shown in the first image of my first post, the GUI loads but the default tab just says loading & the address bar just says about:blank, if I click on a bookmark it does nothing, if i click on the Opera button & click settings or about Opera it does nothing, I can open new tabs but they just say loading as well & do & show nothing, if I then close Opera & open BD settings & turn off AVC then reopen Opera the browser loads the speed dial page & works as it should & I can browser with no issues, If I turn AVC back on I can browse but notice that the settings tab etc take a bit longer to open & show the contents.

It seems that AVC allows the browser to load but then not do anything at all until AVC is turned off, I have issues with my short term memory so then forget to turn AVC back on sometimes. Yandex browser was installed to test & see if the issue affected that as well & it does, the same thing happens so the GUI loads but then nothing else will.

The main reason it is bugging me I wanted to use Opera more since Chrome started showing that annoying little system tray bell icon, I previously had it disabled but the are now forcing it on users, I have been using Chromium since I noticed this issue with Opera & AVC.

Opera used to work fine until there was a program update to BD that required a reboot, since then I have had this issue.

Cheers,

Banzi.

• Strange, I tried BD AV+ on Win8, and Win7 today, Opera worked fine for me.

I also looked for this " system bell tray icon"? I used Google Chrome on Win7 + 8 systems, I can't see this icon anywhere.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    I also looked for this " system bell tray icon"? I used Google Chrome on Win7 + 8 systems, I can't see this icon anywhere.

I showed for me a short time back on Chrome, in the system tray (attached), all I did was set in "Customize" to "Hide Icon and Notification". More stuff being forced on us - not that I use Chrome very often.

post-175392-1404146349_thumb.jpg

• The Chrome bell icon usually appears when playing a video full screen ie on Youtube & it then wont vanish until you close Chrome. I did use "Customize" to "Hide Icon and Notification" but is still shows, there is a massive thread on Google Chrome product forums about it affecting both MAC & PC.

• I'm also having this issue and it's not only happening to Opera but it also happened to Chrome. It started for me this morning and upon uninstalling and reinstalling both to no avail, I tried turning off AVC and both started to work again like normal. So is there some sort of update to AVC that may possibly be preventing both from working?

• Also forgot to mention that adding Opera and Chrome to the exclusion list did not do anything either.

• Now there are more users saying they have this issue & it has never been resolved can it be passed to the tech dept to fix please?

Cheers,

Banzi.

• This problem is still happening, I have removed Comodo firewall & I'm now using Private firewall. When I open Opera v25 it takes longer for the interface to load & now the speed dial page loads but takes about 5-10 seconds, same with the settings page. If I disable AVC in Bitdefender Opera opens very quick & displays the speed dial page right away.

Since myself & others have reported this can it please be fixed, the silence from the devs & forum staff about this just makes me & other users think that you don't really care about the fact your software is affecting other software.

• This problem is still happening, I have removed Comodo firewall & I'm now using Private firewall. When I open Opera v25 it takes longer for the interface to load & now the speed dial page loads but takes about 5-10 seconds, same with the settings page. If I disable AVC in Bitdefender Opera opens very quick & displays the speed dial page right away.

Unfortunately Bitdefender 2015 does exactly the same. AVC spoils Opera... Still waiting for the fix.

• I have removed Comodo firewall & I'm now using Private firewall. When I open Opera v25 it takes longer for the interface to load & now the speed dial page loads but takes about 5-10 seconds, same with the settings page. If I disable AVC in Bitdefender Opera opens very quick & displays the speed dial page right away.

Hi BanziBaby,

1) Did you completely deinstall browsers+firewalls you no longer use? It could impact the perf. Sometimes it's not so easy to deinstall theses stuff, even with CCleaner, we have to fumble in the registry base!

With my old system (XP), Opera 25, Yandex, I have to wait 5-7 sec. to get the page, even with AVC ultra aggressive (don't know if it makes the difference) I consider it runs rather smoothly, but it is BD IS 2014.

However, the update slowers considerably the loading of pages the first time I start windows. I suppose you do not talk about that kind of delay?

Regards,

L.

• Hi BanziBaby,

1) Did you completely deinstall browsers+firewalls you no longer use? It could impact the perf. Sometimes it's not so easy to deinstall theses stuff, even with CCleaner, we have to fumble in the registry base!

With my old system (XP), Opera 25, Yandex, I have to wait 5-7 sec. to get the page, even with AVC ultra aggressive (don't know if it makes the difference) I consider it runs rather smoothly, but it is BD IS 2014.

However, the update slowers considerably the loading of pages the first time I start windows. I suppose you do not talk about that kind of delay?

Regards,

L.

Hi Lionet,

Yeah I uninstalled Comodo Firewall then rebooted then use the Comodo removal tool to remove any remains, also checked the registry. I have also uninstalled Opera numerous times & also deleted the user data folder for it as well. When Comodo was installed the browser would open but wouldn't load anything at all as can be seen in the screenshots in my first post, With Comodo removed & Private Firewall installed Opera open but the speed dial page & other tabs like settings, extensions or even about Opera tab load very slowly with AVC set to the default in Bitdefender 2014, if I then reboot then disable AVC then open Opera it loads lightning fast & the issue is no longer there so obviously AVC interferes with both Opera & Yandex which I also tried out.

The dev's have known about this for a while now but just don't seem to care or it hasn't been passed on by forum support to the dev's or they don't consider it a issue, the only things I dislike about BD is the lack of support from the staff on these forums & the fact that BD seems to be designed to be the only security software on the system & doesn't play well with other software.

Despite the great detection I am really thinking about moving to another AV due to these issues, I have stayed away from the 2015 versions as the UI is hideous & the profiles seem to have issues & I prefer the games list feature in the 2014 versions.

• I have this problem too with latest Opera 26. Web pages are loading very slow with BD enabled :(

• This problem is also known on Opera forum. It seems that nobody is going to take care of it.

Opera and Bitdefender are great programs separately, but together they act badly.

• I have emailed support & so far it has not went well, I gave them all the detail needed & also linked to this thread but the first reply I got back didn't even mention the issue & was just a big advert for BD AV+ 2015, replied back saying I was sticking with 2014 version as the UI is much better & the 2015 version has removed the games list feature that I use all the time, their second reply basically just said delete browser cache, disable plugins/extensions despite the fact I have already mentioned here that it does on a clean install of the browser with all browser profile data deleted before install & before any extensions are installed.

The third reply from them just asked me to disable the various settings & functions in the AV to find out which part is causing it....despite me telling them it is AVC that causes it, talk about banging your head against a brick wall :rolleyes:

This issue has been posted here by myself & others in various sections of this forum & as KOMTUR mentions it is also posted on the Opera forums. It shouldn't be that hard to fix so why don't you fix it please.

• Just wanted to post that the issue now seems resolved after Opera released version 26.0 Build 1656.60 just before christmas, there is no longer any slowdown with opera loading tabs so what ever the Opera dev's changed in the new version has resolved the issue with AVC being active.