[fixed] Search Advisor Not Working With Bing

Hi,

I have 3 machines protected by BD 2014. 2 win7 64bit and 1 win7 32bit. Until today, search advisor and BD toolbar wasn't working on one of the x64 "only". We've sort of "accepted" that BD would never be able to fix this issue and that one machine would never have a fully working version of BD. But, after the last upgrade, it also stopped working on the x86. It's now 2 machines out of 3. That's a bit much.

It's not only annoying, but I wanted to double-check an assertion made by someone on this site: even if Search Advisor doesn't work, BD will still block harmful pages. I've picked a website declared in the board as a false-positive (didn't want to risk any real infection) and... BD didn't block it on the machines where Search Advisor doesn't work. Knowing this, I can't but wonder how safe is random browsing and how secured are the 2 faulty machines.

It'd appear that Seach Advisor has been a bug for quite some time, and it hasn't really been fixed once and for all.

I already did a repairing without any success, any input welcome at this point.

Comments

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello john b.,

Thank you for your feedback.

Be advised that it's not the Search Advisor which blocks infected pages, but the Antimalware web filter. Search Advisor is a component that rates the results of your search engine queries and the links posted on social networking websites by placing an icon next to every result.

Below you will find a procedure that will determine if your Bitdefender product is catching infections. You will need to download a test file which should be detected by Bitdefender - this file is not infected in any way, it's just a file used to confirm that Bitdefender is properly protecting your PC.

Therefore please go to:

http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html

Browse to the lower of the page where the download files are located. Download any of those files.

Next, please tell me what search engines did you test for the Bitdefender Search Advisor? I'm asking this because Search Advisor rates the search results only from the following web search engines:

▶ Google

▶ Yahoo!

▶ Bing

▶ Baidu

And rates the links posted on the following online social networking

services:

▶ Facebook

▶ Twitter

Please post your test result and respond to the above question so I can help you further. Thank you so much!

• I'm not sure if this is the same problem as John b. I have recently purchased, downloaded and installed BD Total Security. I have switchd on Search Advisor. I only use Google for searching when I do so I don't get any indication against the results about the safeness or otherwise of the sites listed when I use Firefox and Chrome. The search advisor does work however in IE 8.. Also the BD toolbar sometimes works and sometimes doesn't in Firefox and Chrome but appears to always work in IE. Because the DB toolbar is black it is impossible to see it on sites that have a black background on the page header (like Google)

My machine is windows 7 Professional 64bit with service pack 1. Chrome is Version 31.0.1650.57 m, Firefox is 25.0.1 and IE is 8.0.7601.17514

• Sorry to respond to an old post, but search adviser has never worked in Bing for me. It works fine in Google however.

I've done multiple uninstalls, re-installes, used the uninstall tool, etc, etc. Everything you would do to repair Bitdefender IS 2014. I am running the latest 1003 update, and using Firefox 26.

Everything else in BD works fine. Only the Bing search results never show and ratings (Green dot with the check mark)

Any ideas?

• Sorry to respond to an old post, but search adviser has never worked in Bing for me. It works fine in Google however.

I've done multiple uninstalls, re-installs, used the uninstall tool, etc, etc. Everything you would do to repair Bitdefender IS 2014. I am running the latest 1003 update, and using Firefox 26.

Everything else in BD works fine. Only the Bing search results never show and ratings (Green dot with the check mark)

Any ideas?

I've done multiple uninstalls, re-installs, used the uninstall tool, etc, etc. Everything you would do to repair Bitdefender IS 2014. I am running the latest 1003 update, and using Firefox 26.

Everything else in BD works fine. Only the Bing search results never show any ratings (Green dot with the check mark)

Any ideas?

• Search adviser has never worked in Bing for me. It works fine in Google however.

Everything else in BD works fine. Only the Bing search results never show any ratings (Green dot with the check mark)

Any ideas?

• Search adviser has never worked in Bing for me. It works fine in Google however.

Any ideas?

me too,google、baidu search didnt work

post-177362-1392998007_thumb.jpg

• Works fine for me (although I use FF 28). Also works in IE11.

post-175392-1392999254_thumb.jpg

• I can't get search advisor to work with Bing in Internet Explorer and Firefox.

It works with google on the same browsers though.

At first I though it might not be compatibile with bing but then I noticed that it works in Opera.

So now I just can't work out why it wont work with bing on both IE and Firefox but does work with Opera.

Can anyone else not get search advisor working with Bing on IE and Firefox?

• Same here.

Opera 12 + 22 search advisor works fine. In IE11 even with BD Toolbar running, there is no Search advisor in Bing.

Win8.1.1 64Bit . BDIS2014.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are aware of this issue and we are working on solving it asap via automatic update of Bitdefender.

Thank you for your patience, hope you all have a great week ahead!

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

This issue is fixed in the build number 17.29.0.1235 released a couple of hours ago.

Make sure that Bitdefender updates daily, and in order to do this please right click on the Bitdefender icon from the system tray (near Windows clock) and choose 'Update now'. Once the Bitdefender product asks to restart the computer and the build version changes to 17.29.0.1235 (latest build) Search Advisor will work properly.

To make sure you have the latest build please right click on the Bitdefender icon from the system tray, choose 'About' and look at the 'Product Information'.

Have a nice day!

This discussion has been closed.