"could Not Connect To Server" On Windows Server 2012

Hi,

I've installed BitDefender on a Windows 2012 server at our radio station because of it's great reputation. However, it says that the computer isn't protected and no scans have been completed because it could not connect to its server.

I have Googled the problem and couldn't find any help.

Help?

Thanks!

Luke

Comments

installed BitDefender on a Windows 2012 server

From Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition User's Guide

2.1. System requirements

You may install Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition only on computers running the following operating systems:

● Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (32-bit) and Service Pack 3 (32-bit)

● Windows Vista with Service Pack 2

● Windows 7

● Windows 8

Anyway, if I consider Windows Server 2012 simply a version of Window 8 and pretend it should simply work as it does with Windows 8.1, I would suspect there is something preventing an Internet connection, like a firewall. Bitdefender Antivitud Free Edition needs to connect to the Bitdefender servers to: obtain periodic updates, provide the best detection rates, and to validate the registration beyond the trial period (registration is free but required).

• From Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition User's Guide

Anyway, if I consider Windows Server 2012 simply a version of Window 8 and pretend it should simply work as it does with Windows 8.1, I would suspect there is something preventing an Internet connection, like a firewall. Bitdefender Antivitud Free Edition needs to connect to the Bitdefender servers to: obtain periodic updates, provide the best detection rates, and to validate the registration beyond the trial period (registration is free but required).

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I think that the Firewall may be blocking BitDefender. Which .exe files should I allow in the Windows Firewall exceptions?

Other websites confirmed that BitDefender works with Server 2012 R2, so that's why I'm trying it.

Thanks,

Luke

• Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I think that the Firewall may be blocking BitDefender. Which .exe files should I allow in the Windows Firewall exceptions?

Other websites confirmed that BitDefender works with Server 2012 R2, so that's why I'm trying it.

Thanks,

Luke

I cannot say for sure, but at least both:

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\gziface.exe

and

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\gzserv.exe

have to be able to communicate. I think the first one deals with authentication and updates. That process runs the interface and actually stops if you Exit Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition's icon. The second process communicates often with Bitdefender's web servers, I believe this is for a better analysis of any potential threats. That process is the main engine and should stop only when uninstalling the antivirus.

I hope that works for you. You can always try to repair the installation from Windows Control Panel Programs and Features in case something is corrupt.

Good luck!

--graciliano

• graciliano,

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I still get "Could not connect to server." I have:

1. Logged out and logged in to my BitDefender account several times

2. Repaired the installation

3. Added every single BitDefender .exe to the Firewall exceptions list to allow connections

4. Uninstalled and reinstalled

5. Turned off the Firewall for several minutes (Domain, Private and Public profiles)

4. Repaired the installation again

No luck.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Luke

I cannot say for sure, but at least both:

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\gziface.exe

and

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\gzserv.exe

have to be able to communicate. I think the first one deals with authentication and updates. That process runs the interface and actually stops if you Exit Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition's icon. The second process communicates often with Bitdefender's web servers, I believe this is for a better analysis of any potential threats. That process is the main engine and should stop only when uninstalling the antivirus.

I hope that works for you. You can always try to repair the installation from Windows Control Panel Programs and Features in case something is corrupt.

Good luck!

--graciliano

• graciliano
    edited July 2014

Any more ideas?

Hi Luke:

Unfortunately I am out of ideas. I know that Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition may have conflict with any other security solution installed in your system. This conflict may include some firewall programs. This happens regardless that initially Bitdefender put a big effort on making this product compatible with many firewall systems. For example, in the past, an upgrade to my firewall caused a conflict that could make Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition's interface crash. Luckily for me, a later upgrade to my firewall solved that problem.

When I had my problem I contacted Bitdefender's Customer Support. They were helpful but their final recommendation was to uninstall any other security solution.* You may want to contact them. Just be aware Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is targeted to home users not businesses. I say that because Bitdefender's business solutions, e.g., Bitdefender Small Office Security, do list Windows Server 2012 within the supported operating systems.

--graciliano

*I was reluctant to that solution especially because my problem did not seem so serious. I thank God that my solution came in a gentler manner by just being patient.

• You need an antivirus designed for servers.

Stick this " Windows Server 2012 what antivirus? " in Google and read the 100's of results.